Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 05:02 AM

4,482 posts, read 5,319,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishGirl View Post
Trump has been the laughing stock, not the United States. Generally Brits are supportive of our American friends, but are completely baffled at how he was enabled. Some of the things we didn’t appreciate (and granted, I don’t speak for my entire country but were pretty big deals in the press and general conversation) were the following.
* His behaviour towards other world leaders, the expectations of deference and the constant whining about how they treated him. Treating your allies like your enemies makes it’s hard to view the USA with anything but suspicion. I think the allies have held on until sanity returns, optimism certainly seems to be there now but it was a white knuckle ride there for a while.
* The withdrawal of the Paris climate agreement was oof. It smacked of wanting to smash up everything his predecessor did.
* The constant USA! USA! USA! chants, “we’re the best country in the world!” crap gets really old after a while, especially when those of us with healthcare read that people are going bankrupt or dying because they have diabetes and can’t afford insulin. We don’t get why a government would be proof of that sort of thing.
* Kids in cages (I’m not interested in who built them, I’m interested in who put kids inside them).
* The enabling of the republicans in congress was jaw dropping.
* The corruption and nepotism - after the first six months nobody seemed to care about Ivanka being an advisor. Especially when she expected to be at the table with other world leaders with no experience or mandate.
* The State visit wasn’t fun, he showed no class or interest in protocol toward our traditions - like them or not. I’m not a royalist but it was embarrassing.
* The election fiasco. You guys have lost credibility to ever be able to go and inspect the elections of third world countries - probably unfairly so too. That’s going to be really damaging for other democracies in the world.
All these things and more did diminish the States in my eyes, but I’m hoping only temporarily. It has however shown the world that America is much more vulnerable than we ever thought possible. If it can go down this road with such a dumb child in charge, I dread to think what could be possible with someone who has more brain cells. But like I say, optimism has returned a bit but we’ll see what happens to him after he leaves. We aren’t laughing at America. We’re laughing at the Americans who believe that Trump was a good president.
If you knew about his accomplishments and about what he's tried to do, you would understand why the 75 million votes he received are the highest number ever for an incumbent, and you would perhaps think twice before laughing.

If you knew about Joe Biden's cognitive decline and the various gaffes he's said on camera, you would realize that his ascendancy to the White House is no laughing matter.

Kids in cages - you don't care who built them nor who put them in there. Then you don't care about facts and about history. Why are you even bothering to comment? BARACK OBAMA did all this.

Cheers very much, meant with much sarcasm - you Brits are good at that.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:20 AM

14,466 posts, read 11,245,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Don’t read much international news do you?
The international news is just like our domestic news, completely left wing biased.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:32 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,663,339 times
Why do libs care so much what Europe thinks of us? I don’t think Europe has a lot of room to talk if you regularly watch news from the EU.

I regularly talk to someone in a former Soviet satellite and he thinks the election was rigged and Trump was the last stand before Communism takes over the U.S.

Should I really be worried about his opinion of the U.S.?

Old 01-16-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Why do libs care so much what Europe thinks of us? I don’t think Europe has a lot of room to talk if you regularly watch news from the EU.

I regularly talk to someone in a former Soviet satellite and he thinks the election was rigged and Trump was the last stand before Communism takes over the U.S.

Should I really be worried about his opinion of the U.S.?
America matters to Europe more than Europe matters to America. Not that Europe is not important - Great Britain, Germany, these are important countries.

But they care about our affairs far more than we care about theirs because the U.S. occupies a position of importance their countries do not - or at least, do not any longer.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:44 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,697,329 times
Trump Has Made America a Laughingstock

Yep, he has indeed.

That is just one example of the tragic consequences of putting an amoral, divisive, vengeful, intemperate, know-nothing fascist-leaning TV star in the Oval Office.

His endless stream of propaganda, conspiracy, lies, and now violence, can be a thing of the past, if America unites to focus on her future and principled potential, while Trump gets smaller and smaller in our nation's rear view mirror.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-16-2021 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: punctuation correction and clarity

Old 01-16-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Trump Has Made America a Laughingstock

That is just one example of the tragic consequence of putting an amoral, divisive, vengeful, know-nothing fascist leaning TV star in the Oval Office.

His endless stream of propaganda, conspiracy, lies, and now violence can be a thing of the past, if the United States of America rolls up its sleeves and starts focusing on the future while Trump gets smaller and smaller in our nation's rear view mirror.
Define fascism.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:49 AM

4,150 posts, read 2,444,860 times
Trump doesn't have time to meet with first responders, but he has time to meet with the "my pillow guy" who made an out of court settlement for false advertisement, paying $1M; then paid NY $1.1M in unpaid taxes taxes...birds of a feather.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:57 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,403,976 times
Only 100 hours of Trump left (according to a clock countdown on a news site).

Old 01-16-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
You’re specifically listing kids in cages as an embarrassment for Trump when Obama built them, and used them for kids. The famous photo of kids in a cage was under Obama. Guess nobody thought it was bad at that time and people still don’t care when its Obama.

I’m glad the EU has enough money to put all their illegal immigrants in 5-star hotels. Oh never mind, they have kids washing up dead on their shoreline and massive groups of homeless immigrants living under bridges.

I think the not liking the USA chants is more of a reflection of Britain than anything. I guess you must get pretty annoyed watching the Olympics. I watched the 2008 in South America and was a little surprised when I saw locals chanting USA during some of the competitions. I asked someone why they were chanting USA and they said since they normally don’t have many people in the Olympics, so they usually just root for the U.S. We’ve been chanting USA long before Trump got involved in politics.

Taking a look at where leaders in Europe are leading their countries, I think we’re on the wrong path if they are admiring us. They are concerned about what everyone thinks of them and looking good for fellow leaders rather than doing what’s best for their citizens. Brexit was Britain’s last dying gasp and a last ditch effort to save what remains of their country.
She doesn't care who built the cages. She cares about optics, and optics alone.

The young lady will not understand you because she can't.

Let it go.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:03 AM

27,534 posts, read 16,018,410 times
America was embarrassed when the mee toos marched on innaugeration day and the blac bloc torched things and broke things. You are the biggest hypocrites ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.