Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Racist groups from across America, were well represented at Trump rally that stormed the Capitol. The guy wearing the camp Auschwitz T-shirt , and the guy with the confederate flag were seen around the world. Trump attracts racist people, a image long associated with the Republican party.
That's what we heard from Democrats. But of course no numbers, no context, no estimate of how many racists were there. A guy with a T shirt and a guy with a flag.

Maybe 95% of the demonstrators were peaceful non-racists. We don't know and can't find out from mainstream news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 08:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes, true. However -- don't you think someone should start a social justice movement for ugly people? I mean, is it fair that the beautiful have so much privilege? I am looking for reparations please.
LOL! Isn't that the truth. Maybe it should be covered under the ADA too, we sure can't help how we look.

I am considered by most as attractive but I have a friend in the top 5-10% who did the pageant circle and still looks good. I may as well be invisible standing next to her. She gets VIP treatment everywhere she goes. It's unreal. She picks up on it and realizes that others don't get the same and makes up for it by being a nice person at least.

We all know this stuff happens to both M/F. No one, even the genetically blessed can help how they look. Same with light or dark skin color. It's futile to dwell on it as we can't control how we were born anyway.

What we can control is behavior. That's what makes me crazy about these race wars. No matter how some behave they want to twist it into some kind of universal racial bias. No, apply judgement against the bad behavior and give others credit for not acting that way.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Lux Mea View Post
eff yes! mother truckers! the msm i watch is so far off the reservation with this social justice garbage. i hear the word racism 100s of times a day. and yet on tv and in the stores and everywhere i see happy successful black people. am i going to believe the news or my own eyes?

every recent tv show is ALL about covid and racism. it is all shoved down our throats 24/7.

to your point, yes the news goes out of their way to take shots CONSTANTLY about how if blacks had stormed the capitol, blood would be flowing. well, a white lady was murdered and they are complaining about how blacks WOULD HAVE BEEN treated? wtf?

i really hope that whoever is responsible for this narrative realizes that they are CAUSING more racial problems than helping. im so sick of the R word it makes me sick.

at the end of the day, you cant force people to like each other, or want to spend time with each other. we can make laws to make it illegal to discriminate, but we cant force people to love each other.

and its stupid to try. let people like and dislike who they want.

and this racism lie is really starting to have backlash.
Yeah, I just want to scream at my TV. Oh, it sure is causing more problems then helping. It's sad the kids are growing up hearing this message on repeat. In this case, saying this stuff is just going to cause more hatred toward law enforcement too. Like we really need more of that.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:21 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You really had to dig and grasps at straws for that one. You can just quote President Elect Biden, Nancy Pelosi, AOC and many other Democrats on any given day using race and scapegoating. Biden says he going to focus on everyone's business opportunity except whites. Pelosi says the Capitol rioters are rioting for their race etc. AOC white supremacy this and that. It's no wonder some white folks are thinking give us independence and leave us alone.
What? Lee Atwater's "welfare queen" narrative is very widely known amongst political scientists. It's very thinly veiled racism and everyone knows it, including Atwater himself.

Just because Dinesh D'Souza and a gagillion conservative talking heads tell you "the Democrats are the REAL racists" because of things that happened 60+ years ago doesn't actually make it true. The Democrat Party is overplaying the race angle right now, no doubt, but this garbage about Dems being the REAL racists is just that garbage.

They are pandering, they have not solved the problem of the black underclass, and their rhetoric is divisive...but wannabe right wing talking heads on this forum think this "trick" of telling black people that the klan were Democrats will somehow make black people vote for the party that created the "welfare queen" narrative is just stupid. NO ONE IS BEING FOOLED.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:26 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post

I wish we could impeach the media for lies and "incitement". LOL
100%

Old 01-18-2021, 09:30 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That's what we heard from Democrats. But of course no numbers, no context, no estimate of how many racists were there. A guy with a T shirt and a guy with a flag.

Maybe 95% of the demonstrators were peaceful non-racists. We don't know and can't find out from mainstream news.
You just guessing numbers, but it's probably way more than that. Trump brought out the worst in people, and racist groups heard all the dog whistle, they love him. But regardless of the numbers, just the fact that being a party that attract racist people not to mention the closet racist.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:36 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
What's truly disturbing is how one party openly speaks of the abolishing of "whiteness." How short is the step from "whiteness" to just white people?

We're at the place where eliminationist rhetoric is acceptable to the large swaths of the population and used freely by those in power.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What? Lee Atwater's "welfare queen" narrative is very widely known amongst political scientists. It's very thinly veiled racism and everyone knows it, including Atwater himself.

Just because Dinesh D'Souza and a gagillion conservative talking heads tell you "the Democrats are the REAL racists" because of things that happened 60+ years ago doesn't actually make it true. The Democrat Party is overplaying the race angle right now, no doubt, but this garbage about Dems being the REAL racists is just that garbage.

They are pandering, they have not solved the problem of the black underclass, and their rhetoric is divisive...but wannabe right wing talking heads on this forum think this "trick" of telling black people that the klan were Democrats will somehow make black people vote for the party that created the "welfare queen" narrative is just stupid. NO ONE IS BEING FOOLED.
You probably got to go all the way back to 1976 or 1980 before green_mariner was even born before a politician used "welfare queen" which doesn't even explicitly mention race. I bet some Democrat politician yesterday explicitly called whites out and called them racists moral defectives, just like everyday. Also, Bill Clinton was for and did reform welfare. It was a main concern of the time for both parties.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You just guessing numbers, but it's probably way more than that. Trump brought out the worst in people, and racist groups heard all the dog whistle, they love him. But regardless of the numbers, just the fact that being a party that attract racist people not to mention the closet racist.
Trump had a wide umbrella that attracted a diverse group. The media is trying to shut that part down. They don't mind using race to do it. I witnessed something odd with his run, like Trump became bigger than the man or the candidate. His offensive tweets were even cheered by some. They were seen as freedom in an increasingly PC world by many. I know, I asked some of his fans. I didn't see it that way at all and didn't like them.

Sure he attracted some racists and crazies. Those tend to shout the loudest, but don't represent all. The majority of people I talked to were attracted to the "Make America Great Again" slogan. That's a powerful message that a lot yearn for.

You can't judge him just by those who showed up. Particularly at rallies and certainly not the minority at this protest. Fan types go to those anyway. Many voters chose him on issues. Maybe only a few issues and felt lukewarm toward him at best. Minorities chose him, women chose him. That can't be denied. The "radical fringe" didn't make up the majority of votes. It's not mathematically possible.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:39 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I disagree to an extent. The Rodney King riot, up to 1992, was just the latest in racial tensions. NWA got their start in the late 1980s. One of their songs, "F" Tha Police, was released in 1988.

Miami has a few riots during the 1980s. One was in 1980. Before there was Rodney King, there was Arthur McDuffie. Arthur McDuffie was beaten to death by 4 Miami police officers in 1979. The officers were acquitted. Blacks in Miami rioted and it ended up being the deadliest riot since the 1960s. Another Miami riot occurred in 1989. This time another Black man was shot by a police officer. Four days of rioting took place, in January 1989. Another Miami riot would occur in 1991.

History of race riots in Miami: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_riots_in_Miami

Boston had racial violence related to the busing crisis during the mid 1970s. The idea was to achieve a racial balance for the high schools in Boston. The idea was to bus Blacks to mostly-White schools and bus Whites to mostly-Black schools. South Boston High because a flash point for the ensuing racial violence to come. State troopers had to be stationed at South Boston High. There were riots and protests stemming from the busing order.

New York City was at the brink during the 1980s, with Yusef Hawkins getting killed in Bensonhurs, Michael Griffith being killed in Howard Beach. The movie Do The Right Thing came out in 1989, highlighting the racial tensions between American Blacks, foreign Blacks, Italians, Koreans, Puerto Ricans, etc. Racial violence didn't end in the 1960s. It kept on into the 70s and 80s. Jim Crow ended, but the racial tensions never really ended. Hip hop group Public Enemy came up with the song "Fight The Power" in 1989, and it was in that movie. New York City's Crown Heights section had a major riot in 1991 after two Guyanese children were accidentally hit (one of the children died) by a car when it ran a red light. Some Black youths started attacking Jews in the neighborhood.

Riots had been popping off in several cities before the Rodney King riots took place. What happened in 1992 was just the latest at that time.
I don't think the early riots you mentioned in the 70s and 80s affected the national mood. There was no internet of social media or cable TV, and information didn't travel like it does today.

So late 80s when the protest rap songs started to make waves. So they rapped about their existence in their locales, and it started to proliferate. Rodney King was the main national incident that I recall that affected the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies