Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 08:02 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I see Gerrymandering legislation back on the table. Last year The Supreme Court's ruling threw it back to Congress. If it passes minority voters will be empowered. It could mean more losing for Republicans. On the brighter side they won't have the luxury of only catering to seditionist. I'm sure the Democrats are keeping this on the down low. Redistricting could be checkmate.
Maybe, but republicans control more state governments and democratic states are set to lose quite a few seats due to the census figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:33 AM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Maybe, but republicans control more state governments and democratic states are set to lose quite a few seats due to the census figures.
Minorities will be able to elect people who represent them in their state legislatures. Having more representatives in their State Houses will keep Governors in check. Both parties are guilty of partisan gerrymandering but the push back against legislation is mostly from Republicans.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,041,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The Republicans are divided, especially with the Trump insurrection attempt. I thought it would have taken longer but nope, the Republicans are truly at a crossroads: conspiracy theories and anti-government or moderates. That said, I dont see the Republicans getting unified enough for a 2024 victory, barring some weird events over the next few years.
you are missing the point.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:19 PM

1,910 posts, read 545,344 times
Quote:
I have Gosar as the rep for my district, you really think I want a conspiracy nutter for my representative? I crap on Republicans since about 2013 because they think that Government Shutdowns are the way to go about business when it comes to debt issues. My mother was a D.O.D. civilian for almost 40 years, she would be furloughed while these idiots are paid to keep fighting? Then again, I don't recall Democrats inciting anything to the likes we saw a week and a half ago. Plain and simple, I may never register to be a Democrat, but I will NEVER register to be a Republican at this point.
We can cite failed policies on both sides endlessly, but there must be reasons you "may never register to be a Democrat". As I said, I see no lesser of evil between the two.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
We can cite failed policies on both sides endlessly, but there must be reasons you "may never register to be a Democrat". As I said, I see no lesser of evil between the two.
I said that for the Republican Party, especially that of Arizona. Many have proven themselves to be party over state and country and conspiracy theorists, if not outright treasonous. I mean imagine your own district's representative saying the vote in your state is wrong only because he didn't like the results. This happened with my representative Paul Gosar. The Republicans I can vote for are downright irredeemable at this point. And mind you, I did vote for McCain and Romney. I just can't with the current crop of Republicans. The Republicans need to purge the Tea baggers and Trump bootlickers. Until then, the Democrats are the lesser of two evils.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:46 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,654,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks93 View Post
Universal healthcare works in every other first world country, they don't want it here because they want to keep making the healthcare industry(including pharma, and insurance companies) richer

It is so incredibly stupid to tie healthcare to employment, or to even have a system that bankrupts people for getting sick!

and you know what's funny, those country's seem to have healthier people because they aren't thinking about the cost to see a doctor...they are thinking about their health and well being.

America has a sick, disgusting healthcare system.
I guess. My Heath insurance is a little over $200 a month for my spouse and myself.

I had at least $20,000 in medical bills last year and have paid zero out of pocket.

If you think it’s so disgusting, nobody is stopping you from going down to the hospital and paying people’s outstanding bills off. Get to it!

Old 01-17-2021, 03:27 PM

1,910 posts, read 545,344 times
Quote:
I said that for the Republican Party, especially that of Arizona. Many have proven themselves to be party over state and country and conspiracy theorists, if not outright treasonous. I mean imagine your own district's representative saying the vote in your state is wrong only because he didn't like the results. This happened with my representative Paul Gosar. The Republicans I can vote for are downright irredeemable at this point. And mind you, I did vote for McCain and Romney. I just can't with the current crop of Republicans. The Republicans need to purge the Tea baggers and Trump bootlickers. Until then, the Democrats are the lesser of two evils.
Pelosi, Schumer, Nadler, Waters, Cuomo, De Blasio, Whitmer, Durkan, Newsom, Brown, Wheeler........to name a few who have either ignored, or worse excused violence and have crippled their territories economically, does not represent 'lesser' to me.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:57 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,654,103 times
Quote:
Pelosi, Schumer, Nadler, Waters, Cuomo, De Blasio, Whitmer, Durkan, Newsom, Brown, Wheeler........to name a few who have either ignored, or worse excused violence and have crippled their territories economically, does not represent 'lesser' to me.
Don’t forget Harris!

You know, our new Vice President who visited a rapist and told him she was proud of him.

Also, the one who wanted to help bail out rioters this summer.

I’m not that old but I’ve been around a while, never in my 39 years seen the double standard this bad.

It’s a ticking clock. The boom is going to be unprecedented.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
There are tons and tons of Republicans I can mention who are just as bad if not worse. I can name a ton. Former Sen. Loeffler, Perdue and McSally. Sen. Lee, Cruz, Paul, Hawley, Johnson McConnell and Graham. Rep. Biggs, Gosar, Lesko and Jordan. Gov. Kemp of Georgia, Ducey of Arizona, Abbott of Texas and De Santis of Florida. Former Mayor Giuliani. President Trump. Eight Arizona state legislature members. Some are just your run of the mill corrupt POS. Some called for violence. Some impeded on the right to vote. Some wanted to overturn your vote by throwing out the electors. Some lied to the public about it being safe during COVID. Some wanted you to not get money while the big companies could. Some have also told people that their struggles don't mean anything to them. Do you REALLY want me to go on? Because I can.
Spoiler
Former Sen. Loeffler benefitted from the pandemic with her husband, a stock broker. Former Sen. Perdue allegedly also benefitted from the pandemic with the stock market.
President Trump openly encouraged and emblazoned the anti-authority militia that wanted to capture Gov. Whitmer, put her up to some kangaroo court case and then execute her. He also said the virus would go away and wouldn't want to be caught on camera wearing a mask. He put Secret Service agents at risk of getting COVID for a vanity "victory lap" to see his supporters. He put forth so many conspiracy theories about election fraud. He and Sen. Graham both encouraged the Georgia Sec of State to fix the election results for President in Georgia. He also encouraged his supporters to march to the Capitol building prior to the riots.
Former Sen. McSally saying "we're coming right out of it" while Arizona was ramping up into its first COVID wave in May/June.
Sen. McConnell and Graham both went back on his word with pushing for the next Supreme Court Justice after Ginsberg death when four years ago, he pushed back on AG Garland who was nominated long before the primaries were over. Graham went back on his word to not let a Supreme Court Justice be voted on in an election year.
Sen. Cruz and Sen. Hawley have put out rhetoric that arguably helped the capitol riots.
Giuliani asked for the Trump supporters on January 6th to have trial by combat after having many lawsuits thrown out.
I don't trust Sen. McConnell with the impeachment proceedings to lead a fair event after the last one.
Gov. Kemp of Georgia didn't realize how COVID was transmitted prior to his shutdown and quickly turnabout on it due to the urging of Trump.
Gov. De Santis of Florida allegedly massaged COVID data and then swatted the whistleblower.
Gov. Abbott of Texas oppressed the vote by making a single vote drop-off location in large counties (mind you TX has always done mail-in ballots.)
Gov. Ducey of Arizona has done little to protect his state from a second wave of COVID-19 and in fact this wave is worse in the death count after locking us down during the initial COVID cases and shutting bars, restaurants and movie theaters to stop the first wave in the summer.
About eight Arizona state legislature members could be removed over their roles in the riots, some were even seen at the Capitol Building.
Rep. Gosar, Lesko and Biggs all have allegations of helping the riotters by giving tours and also being against their own state's election results due to the candidate of their choice being the loser of the state and no real proof.
Rep. Jordan is a conspiracy nutter.
Sen. Johnson, Paul and Lee all blocked various forms of aid either before or during COVID.

It pains me because at one time I respected Giuliani. He was the Mayor of the US coming out of 9/11. Now he is nothing more than a corrupt anarchist. Ducey, I've tried being fair to especially with COVID, but he has screwed the pooch time after time after time.

FYI, I am not a fan of Pelosi (something about her I don't like) or De Blasio (the guy is an idiot that wanted teachers to risk their lives to go to school during winter storms and COVID before a sickout happened). I rather I had a Whitmer, Cuomo, Newsom or even a Hogan (Maryland's Gov.) over the spineless gutless coward I have as a governor though.

Biden also wasn't my ideal candidate. I wanted Bernie because what Bernie offers is what the US needs right now. The lower income are suffering while the rich just continue to add to their coffers. That said, Biden did win me over and I voted for him as much as I was voting against Trump.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:33 AM

507 posts, read 186,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I guess. My Heath insurance is a little over $200 a month for my spouse and myself.

I had at least $20,000 in medical bills last year and have paid zero out of pocket.

If you think it’s so disgusting, nobody is stopping you from going down to the hospital and paying people’s outstanding bills off. Get to it!
Honestly, I am happy for you if you weren't bankrupted by our corrupt system, however many, many have and it has to be changed. Insurance should not be tied to employment whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies