Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM

72 posts, read 192,311 times

Advertisements

I was walking past a Starbucks the other day and I saw 5 cars waiting in line for whatever they buy there. Four of the cars were SUV's. Not only were they wasting gas , but also they were pushing poison into the air.
Maybe when the gas is priced to compensates for the real damage it causes -- it's $9 a gallon in England -- will we see people forced to conserve.
By the way, I was walking to the bus stop. I like riding the bus. The Communication Revolution hasn't ended, so everyone should try to get out of their cars to develop their communication skills. If possible, everyone should ride the bus once a week to learn something from some interesting people and do their little part for the environment.

Last edited by Lionhearted; 05-06-2008 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,632 times
Ah yes.

Yet another post on city-data.com that is filled with throngs of do-gooders who just can't help but tell other people how they should live their lives, what they should drive, how many kids they should have, where they should live, what they should do what their money, etc. All according to their 'big ideas'.

Here's an idea, how about just remembering that this is still a free country and that people can do whatever they damn well please with their money without having to consult with you first.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarski View Post
By the way, I was walking to the bus stop. I like riding the bus; I have the opportunity to communicate with some interesting people.
dude, the MOST interesting people are on the subway.
but I will concur, if you get on just the right bus, you'll find some characters.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Seems that gas guzzlers are going the way of the dodo. Couldn't come soon enough.
Frustrated Massachusetts drivers try to sell their gas-guzzlers - The Boston Globe

Gas prices are never going to sink to the levels we have seen for the past 20 years, but if they do eventually drop somewhat, will Americans make the same mistake again?
Hah, serves them right!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarski View Post
By the way, I was walking to the bus stop. I like riding the bus; I have the opportunity to communicate with some interesting people.
Wow! Good for you. I meet an interesting fellow today while filling up my SUV at the gas station.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM

166 posts, read 139,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Well, I agree with that statement, but I think here's a few reasons for the resentment:

1) They are gas guzzlers. In a time when we've past the peak of known oil reserves and conservation is key for all concerned, the selfish SUV drivers play a major part in boosting demand and prices higher.

Again, not all SUV's are gas guzzlers. My Honda SUV gets around 30MPG. Get your facts straight.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
AND, not everyone has access to a bus or subway -

AND, the SUV's are not spewing any more emissions into the air than is the little Honda Civic or Toyota or Chevrolet Aveo and so on

And, as another poster correctly noted - many SUV's are getting BETTER gas mileage than many cars -

Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
A LOT of people aren't interested in facts,only perception.

A LOT of people are kind of dumb.

Lets see...

The eco-friendly(and loved by granola types) 2007 Subaru Tribeca AWD gets 18/23mpg.

The evil Chevy Tahoe 4wd gets 15/21mpg...

And the Toyota 4runner gets 16/19mpg.

And then the Toyota minivan gets 18/23mpg....

Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Ah yes.
Here's an idea, how about just remembering that this is still a free country and that people can do whatever they damn well please with their money without having to consult with you first.
It's a free country. If you've got the money to support 4 kids, the Expedition and that boat, go ahead and live however you want, by all means. Just don't be surprised if you are eating ramen noodles in a few years because that's all you can afford.

All the "do-gooder" crap didn't come out of thin air. People actually sat down and figured out what the typical Baby Boomer American was costing the planet, and it wasn't pretty. Now Ameirca is starting to reap the whirlwind for being a country of gluttons. But nevermind, keep whistling past the graveyard.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

1) They are gas guzzlers. In a time when we've past the peak of known oil reserves and conservation is key for all concerned, the selfish SUV drivers play a major part in boosting demand and prices higher.
1) They are not all gas guzzlers; many of them get very good gas mileage.
2) There are plenty of known oil reserves. We have enough oil in this country that we wouldn't need to buy it from other countries, except that you-know-who makes it impossible for us to drill for it.
3) The price of gas is higher for many reasons - among them are China and India's increasing economic wealth and industrialization, too few refineries in this country thanks to you-know-who making it impossible to build new ones, our inability to use safe and clean nuclear power for our energy needs (once again thanks to you-know-who), and the idiotic idea (once again brought about by you-know-who) of using food for fuel which has done nothing more than raise the price and demand for both.

Quote:
2) Large SUV's are a pain to park around, back out of parking spaces, see around on the roads and indirectly cause accidents (that's a fact as I'm a claims adjuster and see the studies).
That's on the driver, not the vehicle. This line of reasoning is as ridiculous as the news stories reporting that an SUV caused an accident, as if it was driving itself. Although, I do agree that someone shouldn't be driving a vehicle unless they are sure they can handle it properly; but that's true of any vehicle.

Quote:
3) Add to all this, most SUV travel isn't even for families, but individuals..
Doesn't matter if it's for one person, two people, or six people. So what. If someone can afford the costs involved it is their right.

Quote:
4) The large SUV represents waste, greed, materialism and everything else people hate about americans. It's a microcosim of our place in the world's position.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Just don't expect everyone else stop doing what they are entitled to do just because you don't like it.
I personally drive an SUV and love it. Not sorry if you don't don't like it.

Quote:
Aside from that, they're great.
Yes they are. I wouldn't want to drive anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies