Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 06:10 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I guess you don't realize how many American born people also work off the books.
Where is the anger?
We are stuck with those economic parasites unfortunately because they were born here. We dont need to import more of them.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:11 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Resolutionist View Post
That’s the typical lie that’s told by the GOP and believed by the uneducated. When have you competed against a foreigner for a yard job, slaughter house job or cleaning job? If they paid well provided great benefits and were safe we would not have your alleged problem. Uneducated people work longer for less. Simplest solution is to get an education and leave your dumb hometown as well.
I agree with you on the fact people need to get an education and better themselves however they can, to the best of their abilities, rather than expecting some politician is going to do it for them.

On the last part, though, I think part of the problem with some of these towns is that they have seen declining job opportunities as smart people leave them, and the town and area around it decay. Certainly not every job can be done in a rural outpost town, but if all the smart people leave, that leaves them full of angry, underachieving residents, which isn't good for our country either. Brain drain is a real problem. We actually need some educated people to stay in their hometowns and work alongside the other people they grew up with to make them better.

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So what happens when the price of goods and services double? Or when the people not worth $15/hr suddenly cannot land a job??? You can't create prosperity with a pen, a mandate, or even by raising minimum wage. If it was that simple, there would be no poor countries in the world.
They won't. People will refuse to buy the goods. That will leave the option of reducing the salaries of upper management and the expectations of investors on Wall Street, which can be done rather easily.

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
Quote:
What if someone spends 50 of those 90 hours in the bathroom, or smoking in the parking lot, or posting on social media while at work? Not all workers are the victims of evil businesses who want people to work for as little as possible. Some workers truly do suck, and it's unfortunate that we have to have a system in place to address this reality, but this is the way it's always been. Some people really do suck at their job, or any job for that matter. There's no reason everyone else should suffer for their incompetence, laziness, etc.
As a business owner, I believe I would notice if an employee spent 50 hours a week in the bathroom, or smoking, or posting online.
What if, what if, what if.
If that happens on a job, people are usually fired. I'm not sure where you work that has such lax management.

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And if you do, you should receive mandatory felony prison time. If Congress wasn't owned by Corporate America, such a law could have been in effect long ago. It's not Big Business that wants immigration curtailed.
Good luck with that.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:12 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Obama deported more illegals than any previous president, but nobody noticed. Biden will too. All this talk about helping out illegal immigrants is just talk, nothing more.
Obama deported more illegals than Trump.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:14 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Dear America,
If you don't like "Illegals" then stop HIRING THEM.

Sincerely,
Logical America

Old 01-16-2021, 06:15 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Yes, and that cheap hamburger at Mc D's will cost twice as much for those low income workers and lost jobs as not as many people can't afford a higher priced burger... no one will go there. They rather go to a diner for the same price.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:16 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Dear America,
If you don't like "Illegals" then stop HIRING THEM.

Sincerely,
Logical America
I have an American born man cutting my grass and doing my yard work. I don't need an illegal and I pay well.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:17 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Australia got rich supplying China with commodities used in their massive manufacturing sector. The US is on the other side of the globe. We do not have a competitive advantage in supplying China with the raw materials and commodities needed in the manufacturing of goods that they make. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Mining is actually a small percentage of the Australian economy - 6.4%, to be precise. For comparison, the US oil and gas industry comprises almost 8% of the US economy (source, PDF).

And frankly, the industry composition of a nation's economy has nothing to do with that country's minimum wage. The latter is set by government laws, not industry composition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies