Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 AM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times

Advertisements

Lady Gaga will bastardize the anthem, symbolic of the plan they have for America. So that’s a perfect choice. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 08:37 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Lady Gaga will bastardize the anthem, symbolic of the plan they have for America. So that’s a perfect choice. Good luck.

Many musicians have "interpreted" the Anthem in creative and interesting ways: Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Dweezil Zappa. I thought it was great. The Anthem was recognizable but certainly not traditional. I'm okay with that.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:41 AM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Many musicians have "interpreted" the Anthem in creative and interesting ways: Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Dweezil Zappa. I thought it was great. The Anthem was recognizable but certainly not traditional. I'm okay with that.
Those people performed at an inauguration? I don’t think so! Bastardizing the anthem at an inauguration is symbolic of their plans for America. Bring it down.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:42 AM

25,442 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If the Dems are truly absolutely terrified (as they claim) of a repeat of last week’s “armed and deadly insurrection” (as they call it )

and

if the Dems are truly absolutely terrified of travel and interaction during an existential pandemic (as they claim)

then

cancelling the public inauguration would be their rational response.

Surely physical safety concerns coupled with the influx of hundreds of thousands of potential spreaders and super spreaders (20,000 Guardsmen from across country and Dem delegations flying in from every state - just for starters) make this an easy call in the age of cancel. A new normal!

But no. Their “another armed and deadly insurrection” fear is faux (after all, the only shot fired during the “armed and deadly insurrection” was that of a Capitol Policeman killing a small and unarmed woman.) And those constant and apocalyptic warnings about traveling over Christmas and the New Year were simply the usual Covid-derived faux concerns. (No surprise the usual Covid doomsdayers are suddenly mute regarding the Dem inauguration and mass travel involved.)
I think it should all be virtual myself.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Lady Gaga can actually SING. Many people don't seem to know that. She will do an excellent job on the national anthem because she has a beautiful voice.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think it should all be virtual myself.
I agree. It should be inside with family members only and the former first families that wish to attend.
That's it.

It can all be live streamed.

But then they would be calling Biden a coward and afraid so . . he can't win either way.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:50 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Well, got to agree. It should have been canceled if it regarded to create a super spreader event via having thousands of NG troops all huddled close to each other.

They should have made it just a small affair, with only those officially involved in the transition, and no family except the immediate members of the incoming/outgoing president and VP.

I understand this is probably among the greatest events in a person's life, once in a lifetime, however, many people have had their "great and once in a lifetime" events canceled or curtailed due to the pandemic.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:53 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
The inauguration must take place, Commentor.
It's the final act of a process that began when we became a nation and will end when we arena longer a nation.

There can be no pause. There's no do-over. The election settles who the next President will become in stone. Once the election is certified as official, its over for good. The decision is final.

The only thing that must be done is the taking of the oath of office, and that can be done in about 10 minutes anywhere. All that is needed to make it official are 2 witnesses, a legal elected official or a judge to administer the oath, and the legal election winner to take it.

So the ceremony doesn't matter a lick, and the crowd at the ceremony doesn't either. Both are only parts of the tradition that has grown up around the occasion.

Trump's a cooked goose. The rioters are being found, caught, and brought to justice. It's all over now, so kick back and relax. Things will be just fine.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
In Uganda -Bobbi- the new challenger against incumbent- is under house arrest for challenging a rigged election -in France -zarkozy is being charged with bribery charges to prevent him doing a conservative push back reelection
Even the French -not lovers of trump -are concerned about shutting the president of the United States- out of media
We are not alone

Old 01-17-2021, 08:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I dont think the extreme security is justified personally, it conflicts with the principles this nation was founded on.While I understand the need for SOME security, the EXTREME levels they will likely put in place are going overboard...this is AMerica, these are ELECTED officials, having so much security in place or limiting citizens to an extreme degree tells me that the 'terrorists' have won. What happened to the old "we will not live in fear"?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies