Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 06:58 PM

33,983 posts, read 17,018,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post

I hope you're not suggesting we continue a system that pays less than livable wages to the lowest earners out of a theoretical fear that paying those wages might slightly speed up automation that will take place anyway.

I suggest we maintain MW as is, plus annual increases of 2-2.5% tied to an index, and not subject to grand-standing political votes.

Long-term, the people at such jobs need to use them as entry level jobs for their high school or SS supplemental income years.

No one at a MW job needs others depending on them. If they messed up the order of gaining education and skills before adding dependents, that is on them. No one else.

PS: I am indifferent to other nations situations. Each is unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 07:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You failed to answer my question. All you offered in response was idle speculation.

If low skilled workers are being lied off in Arkansas, then why is the unemployment rate higher in Texas than it is in Arkansas?
Would you pay $11 for something that is worth $10?

Your comparison is simply meaningless. If you truly want to compare, you would compare companies in the same industry.

All of these discussions are also meaningless because you must first explain why you want to force free people to do what you want? Are the people your slaves?

Old 01-17-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I suggest we maintain MW as is, plus annual increases of 2-2.5% tied to an index, and not subject to grand-standing political votes.

Long-term, the people at such jobs need to use them as entry level jobs for their high school or SS supplemental income years.

No one at a MW job needs others depending on them. If they messed up the order of gaining education and skills before adding dependents, that is on them. No one else.

The real minimum was, has always been, and will always be zero!

Pretty hard concept to understand, isn’t it?

No individual or government force can control the real cost of goods and services. That’s a basic rule of economics.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why does Joe Biden want to make it illegal for businesses to hire workers who earn less than $15/hr? It is because he hates low wage workers and wants to make life as difficult as possible for them? Does he want to force businesses that can't pay $15/hr to close their businesses? Is he just a moron and has no understanding of basic economics? What is his motivation for wanting to make it illegal for current minimum wage workers to trade their time for a paycheck???
The minimum wage law is simply legitimating more low skilled workers out of jobs. The more people are unemployed, the more they would vote for democrats.

Both freedom and the country can go to hell!

Old 01-17-2021, 07:32 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,913,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

It's fair to want to peg min. wage to some sort of index (cost of living, inflation, which one could be argued). I'd argue a one time bump to bring it back in line with cost of living increases over the years is needed.

I always found it odd when people ignore what has worked other places. (And I'm not saying this to be critical of you personally, a LOT of people on this forum disagree with my views, but you're always objective/fair in those disagreements.) One of the complaints you hear on the left side of the isle is that the GOP has pushed propaganda against worker rights for decades. That people say the US is so different nothing that's worked elsewhere can be applied to here comes across as a very odd line of though to many. Nearly all major countries have found ways to grant more worker protections than the US, and (in my opinion) we leave a lot on the table to ignore what can be learned from them.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:38 PM

25,538 posts, read 17,239,381 times
Quote:
Does Joe Biden Hate Low Wage Workers?
Don't be ridiculous. Everyone hates low wage workers - they even hate themselves. Why President Biden should suddenly be in love with them is beyond me..

He wants their vote, that's all. He doesn't care anything about them, and nor should he. If people want to be "cared about" they should learn and grow and become major contributors.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Everyone hates low wage workers - they even hate themselves. Why President Biden should suddenly be in love with them is beyond me..

He wants their vote, that's all. He doesn't care anything about them, and nor should he. If people want to be "cared about" they should learn and grow and become major contributors.
Well said.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It's fair to want to peg min. wage to some sort of index (cost of living, inflation, which one could be argued). I'd argue a one time bump to bring it back in line with cost of living increases over the years is needed.

I always found it odd when people ignore what has worked other places. (And I'm not saying this to be critical of you personally, a LOT of people on this forum disagree with my views, but you're always objective/fair in those disagreements.) One of the complaints you hear on the left side of the isle is that the GOP has pushed propaganda against worker rights for decades. That people say the US is so different nothing that's worked elsewhere can be applied to here comes across as a very odd line of though to many. Nearly all major countries have found ways to grant more worker protections than the US, and (in my opinion) we leave a lot on the table to ignore what can be learned from them.
How is it in anyway fair to force other people to pay for a wage they don’t want to pay voluntarily?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 01-17-2021 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-18-2021, 03:32 PM

8,195 posts, read 3,474,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
McDonalds will just put in electronic machines to take orders and many others to cut corners and many will lose jobs.
McDonalds here already put those machines in. They aren't being used though since the fast food places are still drive thru only, over ten months later.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
No but like most elites he is not fond of small Anglo owned business- curiously which are his tax base
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies