Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,364,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It sounds like you want illegal aliens to go through the green card process. Finally.

But first, they have to return to their home country and wait in line like everybody else.
That's what a true "amnesty" would require.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 01:36 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
As an immigrant, I will never understand the fascination with illegals many people in the US has, meaning they bascially bend over backwards for them, accommodating them as best as they can, now to the point rewarding citizenship for people who have zero care about entering and staying in the country legally.

In the mean time, there are numerous people who are doing it the legal way, who have been waiting for years for their immigrant visa, and many of these people are relatives of US citizens. Yet I doubt Biden will lift a finger for these people to speed the process up. Hell, Biden will not even improve the tourist visa system, a system that denies family members the ability to visit relatives in the US.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:31 AM

62,877 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
hey yall remember how reagan gave amnesty to aliens way back in '86?

thought so
And he was also wrong to do that. He also lived to regret doing it. Next.......

Old 01-18-2021, 06:48 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Response: Opinion

After watching thousands crash the border at Guatemala into Mexico
the hoards will be arriving at our borders under the Biden Administration.

His only concern is keeping the Capital safe from Americans as opposed to illegals.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:55 AM

298 posts, read 116,913 times
My great-grandparents were immigrants from Italy and Poland. They arrived in the US in the late 1800s and early 1990s.

Back then, you just showed up and were allowed in. After 2 years of residence in the US, you were able to complete a Declaration of Intention. After a submitting this document, you had to wait an additional 2 years before you were able to submit your Petition for Naturalization. After submitting this document, you had to wait 6-12 months before you took your oath and became a US citizen.

Very simple and straightforward process. This is how every single one of my ancestors became US citizens.

The process started to change in 1924 with the passage of the Immigration Act, which was racially driven - primarily focusing on cutting off immigration by Italians, Poles, Jews, and Asians, as well as other nationalities that were viewed as undesirable.

I would be totally fine with just allowing things to go back to the way they were prior to the clamping down of immigration.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:02 AM

27,550 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
hey yall remember how reagan gave amnesty to aliens way back in '86?

thought so
You’re not bringing up something that hasn’t been addressed countless times on these forums.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:07 AM

27,550 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
My great-grandparents were immigrants from Italy and Poland. They arrived in the US in the late 1800s and early 1990s.

Back then, you just showed up and were allowed in. After 2 years of residence in the US, you were able to complete a Declaration of Intention. After a submitting this document, you had to wait an additional 2 years before you were able to submit your Petition for Naturalization. After submitting this document, you had to wait 6-12 months before you took your oath and became a US citizen.

Very simple and straightforward process. This is how every single one of my ancestors became US citizens.

The process started to change in 1924 with the passage of the Immigration Act, which was racially driven - primarily focusing on cutting off immigration by Italians, Poles, Jews, and Asians, as well as other nationalities that were viewed as undesirable.

I would be totally fine with just allowing things to go back to the way they were prior to the clamping down of immigration.
That was a different time and those immigrants came from a specific part of the world. Big difference.

Legal immigration to the United States since the 1960s has been mostly merit-based. Notice that I said legal.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:09 AM

25,839 posts, read 16,517,815 times
The goal of making this country’s population 1 billion mostly uneducated peasants marches on. Enjoy your memories Boomers.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:12 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
So Biden has a plan for a "path to citizenship" What do you think his plan will be and how will it work?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

Excerpt: So Biden has a plan for a "path to citizenship"

Response: Opinion

It's called storming the borders walls and thousands of illegals are on there way up from Guatemala...........maybe here by Wednesday.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful welcome for China Joe. So worried about protecting the Capital from ourselves.

Better keep an eye on that fence !

Old 01-18-2021, 08:03 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
As an immigrant, I will never understand the fascination with illegals many people in the US has, meaning they bascially bend over backwards for them, accommodating them as best as they can, now to the point rewarding citizenship for people who have zero care about entering and staying in the country legally.

In the mean time, there are numerous people who are doing it the legal way, who have been waiting for years for their immigrant visa, and many of these people are relatives of US citizens. Yet I doubt Biden will lift a finger for these people to speed the process up. Hell, Biden will not even improve the tourist visa system, a system that denies family members the ability to visit relatives in the US.
exactly. My wifes father and mother both died without being able to come here for a visit. Our immigration system needs to be overhauled.........quit rewarding the illegals and try giving the honest ones an honest break........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies