Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Why should Mexicans and central americans be given priority over asians?
Good question. Asians tend to be far more educated while these peasants from Mexico are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
There should be no path to citizenship for any illegal.

there should be a path to legal status for the so-called "dreamers"
I disagree with you on the dreamers. Just because their parents managed to sneak them across our border they shouldn't be allowed to benefit from it. It is also rewarding their parents for bringing them here and sets a presidence that all you have to do is drag your kids over our border illegally and they are home free. They need to go back to their countries of origin along with their law breaking parents and apply to come back legally as legal immigrants do.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:58 PM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
You all got it wrong, now that the NWO group is in charge with no resistance, it's not Illegals becoming US Citizens, it's US being destroyed and Americans will lose their Citizenship due to losing our sovereignty. Welcome to the new America where we are losing our freedom and being taxed like hell while America is being dismantled piece by piece and Biden is more then happy to help destroy America by allowing Illegals to penetrate and stay here. Thanks D voters.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The value of that supposed "education" is highly questionable, at best. The FACTS are that Democrats earn less than Republicans (on average), and Democrats outnumber Republicans on public assistance program rolls by more than 2 to 1.

The Economic Demographics of Democrats

Easy confirmation of that fact: Democrats are 2.2 times more likely to receive Food Stamps than Republicans.

Chart: The politics and demographics of Food Stamp recipients - Pew Research

Democrats are indeed highly disproportionately the US underclass. So the value of that supposed "education?" P*ss poor.
Education doesn't count for squat if one doesn't have any common sense. That fits the bill for most liberal, left Democrats.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Did Ronald Reagan regret 1986 immigrant 'amnesty' law?

"The suggestion that Reagan regretted the amnesty law is not new.
<snip>
David Bier, now an immigration policy analyst with the libertarian Cato Institute, researched the matter in 2013 and concluded the former president's so-called regret was an "internet myth."
<snip>
"... It seems that Reagan would understand that his law failed to stop illegal immigration, not because we allowed people to stay, but because we refused to allow more to come — in his farewell address, he said he wanted an America 'open to anyone with the will and heart to get here,' ... "
He meant to get here legally, not illegally.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
With all due respect, you're in your 70s and you're retired. Do you really think that you're in a better position to determine the current employment landscape than someone in their 30s that is currently working?

Do you know any construction/landscaping employers? Well, I do and this is what they tell me. I've also had businesses and I can tell you that many Americans are not reliable workers.

In any event, if these illegal immigrants were made legal and subject to the minimum wage, it would drive up salaries. Then Americans would be competitive with the immigrants.

If they were able to legally work, then they could get jobs and actually pay into the system instead of having to work under the table.

In any event, what are the alternatives here? Trump didn't do a good job of keeping illegal immigrants out either.

From what I've seen, the parents don't speak English, but the children learn English pretty well.

In any event, most educated people in first world countries know more than one language. It wouldn't hurt people to learn another language.

This is because immigration laws used to be reasonable (as I previously discussed). If my ancestors came to the US today in the same way that they did in the early 1900s, they would be violation of the law too.

There is a much higher bar to obtaining citizenship these days, which I don't agree with and don't believe that it is beneficial to our country.

They do have some tax liability. More importantly, their children will grow up and will be liable for taxes as well. So if you have 2 working parents with 5 children, these children will grow up to become tax payers. Then you will have 7 tax payers.

And, as I mentioned previously, they're here anyway (since our government has been unable to stem the flow of currently illegal immigration). Might as well convert them to citizens and collect their taxes.

Do you receive social security? If you do, then I am partially funding your retirement. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Not necessarily and that's the problem. If there isn't enough funds paid into social security, then I won't receive the same social security payments as your generation.

There is plenty of work for unskilled and uneducated people. As we discussed previously, landscaping and construction (which is what they do anyway) comes to mind.

Not necessarily. See above.

I do have a vested interest - my retirement. What's your vested interest in not having them here?

I never said that there should be.
So retired people don't keep themselves informed on the issues? I'm not going to read or reply to anymore of your anti-American, pro-illegal alien BS!

Old 01-19-2021, 01:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Good question. Asians tend to be far more educated while these peasants from Mexico are not.
70% of the illegal aliens who arrived in the last 5 years had a high school diploma. 50% of those here more than 10 years have a high school diploma.

So the uneducated peasant thing is not true of at least half of the illegal population.

Here in Vegas the residential construction industry is pretty much Spanish speaking. That even includes the Caucasian contractors. What happened here was the contractors went to war with the trade unions and hired Hispanics to fill their worker needs. The vast majority of the workers are legal though there are a few illegals in the mix.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:13 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
70% of the illegal aliens who arrived in the last 5 years had a high school diploma. 50% of those here more than 10 years have a high school diploma.

So the uneducated peasant thing is not true of at least half of the illegal population.

Here in Vegas the residential construction industry is pretty much Spanish speaking. That even includes the Caucasian contractors. What happened here was the contractors went to war with the trade unions and hired Hispanics to fill their worker needs. The vast majority of the workers are legal though there are a few illegals in the mix.
So, the Hispanic workers are union busters. And Dem politicians are OK with that, and want even more?

Old 01-19-2021, 01:20 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

Did the unions not allow hispanics?

That is, assuming they were mostly legal, like you believe they are.

You also believe that story that Hillary gave about the worker who mistakenly erased her emails AFTER they were subpoenaed, so you may be a little bit on the gullible side

Old 01-19-2021, 01:22 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
With all due respect, you're in your 70s and you're retired. Do you really think that you're in a better position to determine the current employment landscape than someone in their 30s that is currently working?
Sure, what would age and employment status have to do with this?

Quote:
Do you know any construction/landscaping employers? Well, I do and this is what they tell me. I've also had businesses and I can tell you that many Americans are not reliable workers.
I do, use to even work it, they like these illegals because they escape the burden of employment related taxes and liabilities, and the illegals will not ever go complain and things like labor and wage violations.

Cannot find anyone legal to work because they will not hire such people, especially citizens, because they know they will go and complain about any labor and wage issues. They get away paying like garbage because they know illegals have few places they can find employment. I assure you, if the companies like this were paying 25, 30 an hour, and were not trying to weasel out of properly employing people regarding wages and labor laws, plenty of legal people would be lined up to do this job.

Quote:
In any event, if these illegal immigrants were made legal and subject to the minimum wage, it would drive up salaries. Then Americans would be competitive with the immigrants.

If they were able to legally work, then they could get jobs and actually pay into the system instead of having to work under the table.

In any event, what are the alternatives here? Trump didn't do a good job of keeping illegal immigrants out either.
So, you are admitting the reason they are getting hired is because they are undercutting the wages? Yet then you complain they cannot find any Americans to do the job? I mean, which argument you trying to prove? Because you are countering your points.

Also, many legal people including citizens work under the table, that is what the employer chooses to do to save themselves costs. It is just easier to do it with illegals since they work cheaper and most likely will not complain to the gov about anything.

Quote:
From what I've seen, the parents don't speak English, but the children learn English pretty well.

In any event, most educated people in first world countries know more than one language. It wouldn't hurt people to learn another language.
Second generation onwards learn English rather well and normal, with the 3rd gen rarely knowing their original language their immigrant grandparents know.

English is really all anyone needs to know, everything else is business specific or out of desire. But funny how you deride an American for not knowing a second language, yet level no criticism at the immigrant not knowing English, many never even making the slightest effort to learn it.

Quote:
This is because immigration laws used to be reasonable (as I previously discussed). If my ancestors came to the US today in the same way that they did in the early 1900s, they would be violation of the law too.

There is a much higher bar to obtaining citizenship these days, which I don't agree with and don't believe that it is beneficial to our country.
Immigration laws are fine today also in terms of overall numbers, it is the unfairness the US treats some countries over others, and how they treat foreign family members of US citizens that is the issue.

Quote:
They do have some tax liability. More importantly, their children will grow up and will be liable for taxes as well. So if you have 2 working parents with 5 children, these children will grow up to become tax payers. Then you will have 7 tax payers.

And, as I mentioned previously, they're here anyway (since our government has been unable to stem the flow of currently illegal immigration). Might as well convert them to citizens and collect their taxes.
You seemed obsessed with this tax paying thing, when what is it, 52% of workers do not pay anything in federal income tax as it is? Inflating the population does not automatically mean more "profit". Hell, you are already seeing heavy constraints regarding housing in some areas of the country, yet still wanting to flood the place with even more people. People are complaining about the lack of wage growth, yet want to flood the country with more people keeping the wages suppressed.

Your post is another example of what I mentioned on another thread, as an immigrant, I will never understand many people's fascination with accommodating illegal immigrants here. I mean you all place them above and beyond any other group really. As a green card holder, even the slightest violation could get my green card pulled and me booted, I know people that it happened to, yet an illegal, there is a high chance all they do is get released with a little "show up on this date" card for their court appearance. An illegal can get his entire family over here illegally, and you all go all out to accommodate them, yet my family, hell no, not even approval of a tourist visa to visit me.

You all really make zero sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies