Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 07:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

As bad as it was in terms of cordiality, it opened a lot of people’s eyes to the things going on in current society that they’ve turned a blind eye to. He was a disrupter. He said exactly what was on his mind, maybe even to his detriment. Moving forward, everyone might want to think about what a party with absolute power can do if the mantra coming from it is “words are violence” and at the same time saying “silence is violence.” That really leaves no room for anything but war. If you literally can’t move one micron without offending someone, there’s no reason to live except to perpetuate war. Life is only power and identity and all you have left is to express your power over society as best you can. It doesn’t really matter if you screw it up beyond recognition, it’s socially constructed anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 07:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
For those of you unfamiliar with history:

In 1986 Reagan signed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, which gave amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants in the U.S., and paved a way for them to become U.S. citizens. In 1987 Reagan took it further and legalized the status of minor children of parents granted amnesty under the immigration overhaul.

So when you complain about "libs" and immigration, look no further than to Ronald Reagan for a counterpoint.
I didn't like Reagan because he opened the door to illegals and he believed money would "trickle down" from the rich. Things like that used to bother me but after Trump, I'd take just about anyone, even Nixon.

The next four years will be rough and people will blame Biden. Trump's anger and nasty personality lit some sort of fire in our country with violent mobs on each side, a nation totally divided, and now people believing in bizarre Satanic political theories. I think our dear USA is gone forever.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:22 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,647,718 times
My final thoughts, Don't let the door hit you in the *$$ on your way out.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:28 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
First 3 years of his presidency were great. Things went downhill the last year and that was unfortunate. Don't think he could have stopped the damage from covid.
Hard to stop things that he ignored....His golf was far more important to him.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:31 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Thank you, Mr President.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:35 PM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I knew Donald Trump was no politician when I voted for him the first time. I often wonder if I had done more 'homework' if I would have still voted for him, but I was also of the mindset that I was sick and darn tired of the same ole, same ole in DC and he certainly seemed ready to shake things up (and he sure did). Being taken completely by surprise that he won, the media, most Blues, and to a lesser extent even some Reds, began an incessant 4-year campaign to unseat him - some actions having been taken before he was even inaugurated. And he was impeached, though not convicted. So he was met with rancor and gross political partisanship from the get go. I've said before that I wonder what would have happened if they had given him some room to grow into the presidency, rather than force him to constantly be on the defensive. I've grown to despise Nancy Pelosi, Chuck U. Shumer and Adam Schiff. That Blues decided Nancy should retain her leadership position as speaker says quite a bit about what's wrong with them and those who elected them.

That said, as to President Trump himself, for a long time I appreciated his bombastic, in your face style, because if we admit it, plenty of people would like to tell the media off, tell Pelosi off, tell his constant critics off, but he did it. I can't think of one position he took that I disagreed with and there were many that I was downright proud of - his stance on immigration and our broken processes, his views on trade and putting America first, the brokering of the peace deal in the middle east, helping us achieve energy independence, to name a few. I never felt he was given enough credit for all he did accomplish, particularly by his fellow Reds in government, which is why I have changed my own party affiliation to Independent. I truly hoped he would tack to the center as the election approached, but didn't seem able to just keep working for the American people and seemed compelled (often with good reason) to stay in the fray with the media and his political opponents. I believe this was his downfall. I can only imagine what four years of persecution would do to a person's psyche. Perhaps if nothing else, the 75 million people who voted for him in November should surely be a mesage that at least half the nation is sick of the disgusting cesspool Washington has become. I hope President Trump finds peace and happiness in whatever comes next for him.
I hope some insider writes a solid tell all about this past 4 years.
Thanks for letting me express my feelings here.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:40 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hard to stop things that he ignored....His golf was far more important to him.

Gonna be a hard 4 years of biden for you. Let's hope he makes it, kamala takes the presidency.....

Old 01-19-2021, 07:40 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I knew Donald Trump was no politician when I voted for him the first time. I often wonder if I had done more 'homework' if I would have still voted for him, but I was also of the mindset that I was sick and darn tired of the same ole, same ole in DC and he certainly seemed ready to shake things up (and he sure did). Being taken completely by surprise that he won, the media, most Blues, and to a lesser extent even some Reds, began an incessant 4-year campaign to unseat him - some actions having been taken before he was even inaugurated. And he was impeached, though not convicted. So he was met with rancor and gross political partisanship from the get go. I've said before that I wonder what would have happened if they had given him some room to grow into the presidency, rather than force him to constantly be on the defensive. I've grown to despise Nancy Pelosi, Chuck U. Shumer and Adam Schiff. That Blues decided Nancy should retain her leadership position as speaker says quite a bit about what's wrong with them and those who elected them.

That said, as to President Trump himself, for a long time I appreciated his bombastic, in your face style, because if we admit it, plenty of people would like to tell the media off, tell Pelosi off, tell his constant critics off, but he did it. I can't think of one position he took that I disagreed with and there were many that I was downright proud of - his stance on immigration and our broken processes, his views on trade and putting America first, the brokering of the peace deal in the middle east, helping us achieve energy independence, to name a few. I never felt he was given enough credit for all he did accomplish, particularly by his fellow Reds in government, which is why I have changed my own party affiliation to Independent. I truly hoped he would tack to the center as the election approached, but didn't seem able to just keep working for the American people and seemed compelled (often with good reason) to stay in the fray with the media and his political opponents. I believe this was his downfall. Perhaps if nothing else, the 75 million people who voted for him in November should surely be a mesage that at least half the nation is sick of the disgusting cesspool Washington has become. I hope President Trump lands on his feet and puts this behind him. He didn't deserve the despicable treatment he was subjected to, and I will remember all this going forward. I hope some insider writes a solid tell all about this past 4 years.
Thanks for letting me express my feelings here.
Well stated. One of the few solid honest replies, not media / social media brainwashed BS.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I didn't like Reagan because he opened the door to illegals and he believed money would "trickle down" from the rich. Things like that used to bother me but after Trump, I'd take just about anyone, even Nixon.

The next four years will be rough and people will blame Biden. Trump's anger and nasty personality lit some sort of fire in our country with violent mobs on each side, a nation totally divided, and now people believing in bizarre Satanic political theories. I think our dear USA is gone forever.
Trump didn’t do that, the Obama administration did that when it came to the conclusion that identity politics was powerful, especially when all of neoliberalism’s ideas have failed pretty bad(lay).

“So what changed between 2001 and 2011? Not the percentage of sexual assaults on campus — according to Joe Biden, that percentage was the “same” in 1995 as in 2017. Rather, the election of Barack Obama had two critical effects.

First, as with any modern Democratic administration, strong advocates of identity politics occupied key bureaucratic positions, which they could use to implement regulatory policies outside of rigorous congressional oversight. In a 2010 interview, OCR’s new head, Russlynn Ali, all but begged sexual assault accusers to file Title IX complaints against their colleges, promising that “we will use all of the tools at our disposal including referring to Justice or withholding federal funds or going to adjudication to ensure that women are free from sexual violence.

Second, the Democratic defeat in the 2010 midterm elections focused Obama’s attention on how identity politics could rally his base. This model had worked well in one of the few major Democratic victories that year, the Colorado Senate race. So the administration took high-profile positions in favor of marriage for same-sex couples, permitting “dreamers” to remain in the United States and mandating contraceptive coverage in Obamacare. The “Dear Colleague” letter, which appealed to feminists and campus activists, reflected this broader campaign agenda — except that, unlike these other Obama initiatives, it initially encountered no legislative criticism.”

Trump then ranted about birtherism and the dissolution of the American way of life. A populist movement merged with a movement meant to undermine the foundations of society. Identity politics is all about power and all there is is power. There’s not even an end game to it, just that the most powerful party controls the socially constructed narrative of the future. Therefore they justify any means necessary to achieve their goals. If it fails miserably it’s just a social construction and wouldn't be of any consequence in the long term anyways.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:42 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Gonna be a hard 4 years of biden for you. Let's hope he makes it, kamala takes the presidency.....
Nope....I live in Canada, where politics are boring, but sane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies