Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 11:48 AM

628 posts, read 286,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I took a screen shot of Twitter whining about being censored right after they purged a ton of people off of their platform for "wrong think". Not going to lie, I laughed so hard when they posted that.
So sorry - totally different situation. Twitter was not closed down in Uganda for hate speech, incitement to riot, etc. It was simply closed down because it disagreed with the ruling party. That would mean ALL of you who supported Trump or ALL of us who supported Biden in the last election would have been silenced by this move and removed from Twitter (or Facebook, etc). Seriously, people just seize on what suits their narrative - tunnel vision much??

"Uganda shut down all social media in the country Tuesday after the country’s longtime leader accused Facebook of taking sides in the upcoming presidential election on Thursday.
President Yoweri Museveni, 76, apologized for the inconvenience caused by the ban, but said Uganda had no choice after Facebook removed several accounts tied to his reelection campaign.
If you want to take sides against the (ruling party), then that group will not operate in Uganda,” he said in a national address."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 11:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
I thought it was hilarious that all the folks slamming Twitter (Hannity/Carlson, etc.) never dropped their account.

If all these alternative platforms are so amazing -- why don't they all drop their blue check mark on Twitter --- lol.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:22 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post

Some people in the world are stupid. They don't deserve the right to express their opinions freely to protect everyone else.
You should be able to argue persuasively to prove the person is stupid. Otherwise who decides what is and isnt stupid?

Old 01-26-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
So sorry - totally different situation. Twitter was not closed down in Uganda for hate speech, incitement to riot, etc. It was simply closed down because it disagreed with the ruling party. That would mean ALL of you who supported Trump or ALL of us who supported Biden in the last election would have been silenced by this move and removed from Twitter (or Facebook, etc). Seriously, people just seize on what suits their narrative - tunnel vision much??
It is EXACTLY the same situation. Twitter and Facebook decide who should and shouldnt be banned, with no explanation whatsoever except you violated TOS. They are blatantly biased. Uganda just gave them a taste of their own medicine.

They censor when they feel like it, just like Uganda did, then they cried about it...

Threats and Violence Twitter wont Police
Hypocrisy of Twitter
Democrats who have Called for Violence BUT not been Censored
Why Hypocrisy on Violence Matters
Democrats Hypocrisy on Elections

Old 01-26-2021, 12:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Good. Capitalism at work. More competition is never a bad thing.
I agree. The problem is that a significant number of conservatives want the government to have a role in private companies, i.e. capitalism in service of the(ir) government, which is why they want to punish big tech for some imagined breach of the 1st amendment.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:43 PM

628 posts, read 286,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
It is EXACTLY the same situation. Twitter and Facebook decide who should and shouldnt be banned, with no explanation whatsoever except you violated TOS. They are blatantly biased. Uganda just gave them a taste of their own medicine.

They censor when they feel like it, just like Uganda did, then they cried about it...
So then I'm gathering you would have been fine with ALL Trump supporters being banned simply because they didn't support Biden? Just answer the question - don't give me questionable news sources as links.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
So then I'm gathering you would have been fine with ALL Trump supporters being banned simply because they didn't support Biden? Just answer the question - don't give me questionable news sources as links.
I would prefer no one be banned, but IF I did ban someone, I certainly wouldnt cry about others doing it to me.

Yes lets not read any of those other news sources that show Twitter's obvious hypocrisy...those cracks in the sky might split wide open.

See Gab's response, if its not too scary.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:16 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post

Threats and Violence Twitter wont Police
Hypocrisy of Twitter
Democrats who have Called for Violence BUT not been Censored
Why Hypocrisy on Violence Matters
Democrats Hypocrisy on Elections

Yep.

My FB account was restricted for two weeks without reason or explanation..

They never issued me a warning or provided any reason why I was restricted.

And I'm pretty benign politically there, especially compared to some of my friends and contacts.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:19 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree. The problem is that a significant number of conservatives want the government to have a role in private companies, i.e. capitalism in service of the(ir) government, which is why they want to punish big tech for some imagined breach of the 1st amendment.

Enjoy hiding behind the "they're a private company, they can do what they want" schtick while you can.

Besides, as I recall, Dems weren't so hot on that concept when the issue was forcing a bakery to provide their labor against their will, or Hobby Lobby to cover birth control.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Enjoy hiding behind the "they're a private company, they can do what they want" schtick while you can.

Besides, as I recall, Dems weren't so hot on that concept when the issue was forcing a bakery to provide their labor against their will, or Hobby Lobby to cover birth control.
But Cons were arguing just the opposite. Ya'll were arguing FOR what you say you are experiencing now.

No shortage of hypocrisy it seems.

Also - do you think democrats have never been in FB jail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies