Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:59 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,505,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
The way I see it, if Trump is impeached and convicted by the Senate, many Republican members of Congress would basically be admitting they elected a corrupt person to be President of the United States.
Your premise is illogical. No element of that sentence makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 07:10 AM

7,795 posts, read 6,366,001 times
Easy. Have people who aren't corrupt city workers count the votes.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:13 AM

588 posts, read 1,023,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Your premise is illogical. No element of that sentence makes sense.

McConnell and several other Republican senators are pretty much confirming they will vote to convict Trump. If that happens, the damage to the Republican party would be beyond repair.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:16 AM

20,421 posts, read 12,338,684 times
Quote:
The way I see it, if Trump is impeached and convicted by the Senate, many Republican members of Congress would basically be admitting they elected a corrupt person to be President of the United States. I don't see how they could get over that in the near future. We may not see another Republican president for 20 or more years.

uhm…. i don't think many republican voters think there is a snowballs chance of republicans winning the whitehouse…. we understand completely that the evil has descended and votes will always be switched to insure a democrat victory. Its why you have 25,000 National Guardsmen locked and loaded.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Quote:
The way I see it, if Trump is impeached and convicted by the Senate, many Republican members of Congress would basically be admitting they elected a corrupt person to be President of the United States. I don't see how they could get over that in the near future. We may not see another Republican president for 20 or more years.

Of course Republicans can win again. So many states with close outcomes.....and so many are less tribal.

I would vote Republican as easily as Democrat depending on the candidate, the issues, the priorities.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:24 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,778,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
are you under 25 year old?

I'm an early millennial. Back when i was still in high school in the late 90s, they said Republican/Conservative will be extinct in 10 years because millennial will be the largest voting block in the future.

and then we got GWB for 8 years and Trump in 2016.
I don't think they were counting on millennials becoming so complacent politically after the 2008 election. Boomers are still picking our leaders.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:27 AM

612 posts, read 239,886 times
Quote:
This is the same claim made every time a Democrat wins the WH, yet we always end up with a Republican winning again. When will people learn?

Two things always happen. Democrats always end up over reaching and Americans always want change.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:53 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
The corrupt, inept, bumbling and senile Biden as president will be all that is needed to pave the way for a Republican to win in 2024.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 AM

14,739 posts, read 9,679,171 times
Quote:
McConnell and several other Republican senators are pretty much confirming they will vote to convict Trump. If that happens, the damage to the Republican party would be beyond repair.
Not so... the Nixon 'inevitable' impeachment resulted in the Jimmy Carter presidency.. the worst president in my life time ... and I voted for him! See the similarity? JoKe Biden is the Jimmy Carter of the 21st century. He is a collateral product of political division.

The Carter administration led to 3 consecutive republican administrations and would have resulted in 4... if not for Ross Perot getting 19% of the vote.

Democrats always move too far left way to quickly and never realize you can't lead by committee.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:11 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
As blue states lose population, congressional seats are reduced. The republicans won seats in 2020 for one of the most closely divided House in history. Not too difficult to see the Republicans retaking the house. Especially as the Democrats are going hard left which alienates more voters than it pleases.
the House "typically" flips soon after the POTUS changes.

There's a bill (to be?) introduced, and presumably quickly passed, that will indeed radically change election politics. It will take the rights and responsibilities from the states, where it constitutionally lies, and federalize them. I suppose we'll see if any moderate Dems oppose a bill, when they voted in lockstep for the last 2 years.

Regardless, while an incumbent POTUS hadn't lost since Bush 1, he was also the last time POTUS didn't switch after 2 terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies