Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 10:13 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
From what I've seen (and Virginia is a prime example), many states are polarizing into urban vs rural populations where the urban folks (mainly Liberal/Democratic) want increased gun laws while the rest of the state's population want the exact opposite. In New Mexico (and I think other states) a number of rural Sheriffs declared that they would simply refuse to enforce any gun law that was, in their view, unconstitutional and that they "Don't work for the Governor. We work for the people that elected us".

Obviously a point of debate there, but I wonder if some type of accommodation could be made to satisfy both rural and urban populations? Not sure if "Gun Law by ZIP Code" could be made to work.

Add to that the fact that 2020 literally blew the roof off gun sales. The BLM riots were the impetus for many people who'd never owned a gun before (and couldn't see themselves as doing so) standing in line at the gun store to purchase one. Now we have a new class of gun owners who (presumably) are at least slightly on the pro-gun side of things. So, interesting times.
For the sake of discussion, I think your observation is SPOT ON. Different situations require different measures. I don't know about two sets of laws, but I have lived in a very rural setting, and also spent much of my life (more than half) in cities and suburbs. To me, I would not live out in the country without guns. In the city, I still own them, but I believe they are much more of a potential problem than help. I keep mine locked, unloaded and stored in the city. Loaded and handy when I lived in the country.

As for "two sets of laws", I think it is reasonable for sherriffs to enforce based on their constituancy, TO A POINT. I think any sherriff that openly says he will not uphold the law should be removed. But (much like Andy Griffith's fictional character), a sheriff has to understand who he is governing, and it's not the same for city vs rural.

I guess there is room for flexibility without Sheriffs taking the unpatriotic step of refusing to uphold the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...t-13562972.php

“Yes, I may have influenced her career by appointing her to two state commissions when I was Assembly speaker.”
Fire-walled, so I couldn't read it. But your link indicates it's an opinion piece.

Do you have a fact-based and sourced documentation of your claim, or are you using the "feelings" of someone else to substantiate your claim. Are you now OK with Feelings and emotions governing your actions and our country?

Old 01-21-2021, 10:24 AM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Well, I don't think Biden will be a successful president, if because I don't see how anyone can be a successful president over the next four years. He talked of unity in his inauguration, but so far he hasn't actually acted on anything that can promote unity and if anything, only appointed people and executive orders that entrenches the division. His challenge will be balancing the angry left and moderate Democrats, which seems next to impossible once the realities of Trump no longer being there fades away.

The cultural change forces being rushed through by the progressive left is exceedingly divisive, and is why most of the 74 million Americans voted for Trump rather than any MAGA sympathies. Unless Biden is able to balance out the excesses demanded by the progressive left, there will be no unity. Can he? I suspect not. Part of it is that no matter his own opinions, he owes his election in part to the angry left.

If history is any guide, the Democrats will overreach, leading to a decisive Republican midterm victory in 2022 and things may calm down then. Maybe, just maybe, that will allow Biden to genuinely seek unity if he no longer needs to answer to the angry left of his party. But I suspect we're in for a solid decade of angry politics and divisiveness.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
China Joe is in office now but he will never be a legitimate President !!!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:01 AM

3,325 posts, read 1,959,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
America is back! Time to restore honor and decency to the Oval Office!

Go, Joe!
Somewhere in Delaware
A pedophile has gone missing

Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
America was in darkness for 4 long years, and today, the sun shines, literally, and figuratively.
oh buddy.... America was in darkness long before 4 years ago... and its still in darkness. just your preferred version of it.

until regular Americans stop seeing each other as "other".... until we bury both ANTIFA and Qanon, and start treating each other like humans, darkness reigns. it doesn't matter who infests the whitehouse.

enjoy your brand of darkness while it lasts. the worm always turns.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Fire-walled, so I couldn't read it. But your link indicates it's an opinion piece.

Do you have a fact-based and sourced documentation of your claim, or are you using the "feelings" of someone else to substantiate your claim. Are you now OK with Feelings and emotions governing your actions and our country?
It’s written by Willie Brown, the sugar daddy.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:15 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Somewhere in Delaware
A pedophile has gone missing
Has anyone checked the basement of his digs ?

Someone said his puppet has been seen in or near the WH !!!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:18 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Somehow Biden got a free pass based on his history of lying, cheating, and plagiarism. I have no respect for the man or his character enough to call him President.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:33 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times
Omammies amerika is back Via the senile old puppet
higher Taxes
Gas going up 2 bucks a gallon
open boarders
Letting untold numbers of radical muslims in
Factories moving back out.
yup you [censored] voted for a new future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies