Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 03:38 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's not the first time that JLo has put her ethnicity above her Americanism.
Jennifer Lopez's ethnicity is Puerto Rican. Puerto Rican is an American ethnicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You actually think that is ok at a presidential inagural with most being English speakers in the audience that any part of that should be sang or addressed in a foreign language?
It's not a foreign language. Spanish is an official language of Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico is part of the United States. Puerto Ricans aren't foreigners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It was one fricken sentence. She did not sing the entire song in Spanish. She did not give a speech in Spanish. ONE sentence and people are acting like it's the end of the world.
Exactly. And the line she did say in Spanish was from the Pledge of Allegiance. If someone wanted to read politics into it, it'd read as loyalty to America, in the context of the historical debate about whether or not Puerto Rico should continue as a US territory.

She even kept the "under God," which you'd think would make these conservatives happy, lol.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Don't follow pop music, 'knew' Gaga was a 'legend' - astonished at the power of her voice. First time I've ever heard her sing. Loved her performance and the emotion put into it.

The prolonged flag gesture particularly meaningful and appropriate given the horrific trauma this country has undergone the past four years culminating with the deadly insurrection two weeks ago - we almost lost our government.

I thought Gaga was absolutely great. I would have loved to have heard Gaga do Amazing Grace with that amazing voice of hers.

Or, alternatively, Trace, JLo and Gaga - should have performed it together. Now that would have been something. Trace's voice, however, probably not up to those two powerhouses.
Check out her duets with Tony Bennett.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

Other countries don't "bend a knee" to you, they are smart enough to realize that their language isn't the only language in the region and require children to learn English. Similarly, children here should be required to learn Spanish as Mexico is our closest non-English speaking neighbor.
Wrong. You are forgetting about Quebec.

Drive up the NYS Northway up around Plattsburgh and you will see highway signs in French.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Yes, and even MORE are native English speakers. As pointed out by other posters, English fluency is a requirement for the citizenship test, so if you talking about reaching out to actual "Americans" and not just every warm body on American soil, English covers it.

Further, millions of people are non-English speakers in the US, so should Inauguration singers cover those languages as well?
I understand that you and many others may not be from the US so you don't necessarily know that there are exemptions from English fluency for the citizenship test. You may also know that Americans born here are not required to take the citizenship test.

Most of what she spoke was in English. She chose to speak one sentence in Spanish to reach those Americans (which is a large amount) in their native language.

Your suggestion that singers should cover all languages of Americans is liberal ludicrousness on your part. One singer wanted to say one sentence in one of our other dominant languages. That doesn't mean others should have to do the same.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Total BS. Gaga outed herself as an elitist hypocrite anti-Constitutional Marxist when she sang the anti-private property 'This Land is Your Land' Marxist protest song at the Super Bowl.

https://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasu...r-land-the-for

One of the rarely heard original verses:

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
The sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn’t say nothing;
That side was made for you and me.
FYI - the part in the brackets of your 2nd quote is incorrect. Seeger did NOT write "This Land is Your Land," Woody Guthrie wrote it.

If you knew anything about both Seeger and Guthrie, you'd know they were both heavily involved in the Union movement pre-WWII. Seeger was at one time a member of the Young Communist League.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:28 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Not that I would walk across the street to see Biden, but neither would I walk across the street to see any of the "entertainment," either. Things started going downhill after Led Zeppelin. Or Aretha Franklin, if you're into soul/R&B. Now we have the jokes you hear today. Cheap strumpet look with very little talent caterwauling over a synced drum machine and computer orchestra... and pitch correction.

As far as Spanish pledge... why not just go ahead and belt it out in French, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Gaelic, Frisian, Breton, Hungarian, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Basque, Guaraní, Kalaallisut, Navajo, Catalan, Dutch, Scots, Swahili, etc, etc, etc???

Why leave people out? We're all represented here, right? Have to catch ALL of us... in lieu of growing a brain and actually speaking the common language of the nation.

En nasjon, under Gud, udelelig, med frihet og rettferdighet for alle....

Inclusion, inclusion, we MUST have inclusion. Each person in the US MUST speak 100 plus languages so as not to leave anyone out.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As far as Spanish pledge... why not just go ahead and belt it out in French, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Gaelic, Frisian, Breton, Hungarian, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Basque, Guaraní, Kalaallisut, Navajo, Catalan, Dutch, Scots, Swahili, etc, etc, etc???

Why leave people out? We're all represented here, right? Have to catch ALL of us... in lieu of growing a brain and actually speaking the common language of the nation.

En nasjon, under Gud, udelelig, med frihet og rettferdighet for alle....

Inclusion, inclusion, we MUST have inclusion. Each person in the US MUST speak 100 plus languages so as not to leave anyone out.
That's an interesting view that you have. Not that I agree with your views as you've laid them out.

At least 2 languages is more inclusive than one. It covers 85% of the population.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:52 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
i'm always amused when people get offended by those who speak another language.

The US is about inclusion, welcoming outsiders who don't speak english.

You might argue that the inauguration is supposed to be in english, but there are no rules requiring that.
There's a lot of leeway for what a president can do for his inaugural celebration.
Probably the only thing that has to be in english is the actual oath.

and besides... the inaugurals have been in english entirely because the participants have never bothered to learn another language. Not because they are required to do the whole thing in english.

come on now, don't be so close minded.

You're probably the same people who go to other non-english speaking countries and get pissed when they don't speak english.
I always get amused when someone thinks that all occasions are a reason or is ok to speak in a foreign language especially when they know English themselves and are speaking to a mostly English crowd. She sure didn't include them! There is a time and place for everything. A presidential inaugural is one of those occasions where it makes no sense and is actually being rude to the majority there that are mostly English speakers and it is our national de facto language, not Spanish or anything else.

Most Hispanic citizens know English and only citizens can vote so just what was JLo's point except to snub the majority in the crowd? She's always been an over the top ethnocentric Hispanic anyway. Her ethnicity outweighs her Americanism. She flouts it like a medal of honor. Nothing wrong with being proud of your ethnic roots but it shouldn't be on full display under all circumstances. The political area should always be in a language that most people understand along with the fact that English is our national de facto language anyway.

It's not about rules but common sense and not being rude. Are you actually suggesting that native U.S. citizen native English speakers should learn a foreign languages even though they have no desire to and because they would have no need for it in their daily lives? What a waste of time! Should they learn all hundred of the foreign languages spoken by a minority of people in this country just to accomodate them? Shouldn't immigrants learn our language instead since they chose to move to our country? You make no sense at all!

No, I don't operate by a double standard. I would never move to another country and expect them accomodate me in English. I would learn their language and speak it as often as I could out of respect for their national language and their citizens.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Did you get the vapors?

Lopez is more of a performer than great singer, I think that’s known to everyone.

So singers don't have to be good at singing any more? Why does it not surprise me that you feel this way?

Old 01-21-2021, 06:01 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
So singers don't have to be good at singing any more? Why does it not surprise me that you feel this way?
Lol, like it’s so important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies