Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 10:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
You have a lot of nerve going over to someone's house and tell them what to do when they are on their property.

All i know, is that if someone did that to me, they would have 5 secs to get off my property or i would call the cops and lay them out lol.

Though..i have the feeling..that you didn't talk to them like the way that you are putting here.
https://www.legion.org/flag/code

Old Glory was within their rights. It is entirely improper to fly any flag above the US flag

Section 7 Paragraph C.
No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America,

Most if not all Vets know this, most of us observe it, just as we will never let the flag touch the ground. Anyone else's flag people can use to wipe their butts and I won't care.

I would have talked to my neighbor as well. I would have been polite and shown them the code. If they elected to disrespect Our Nation's flag by flying it below a Mexican flag? I would never help them with a damned thing again. My neighbors needed me far more often than I ever need them. Then again, they never would have done anything so disrespectful.

As for OG's heart burn with JLo speaking Spanish? No harm no foul. Folks can speak whatever language they like in their own homes or to each other in public. Who cares? I also support a businesses right to dictate what language is spoken or not spoken, in their establishment.

My wife and daughters spoke Thai in public for privacy. If someone had ever had the courage to confront me face to face, I would have told them to lick my balls, in English. LOL

Old 01-21-2021, 10:41 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
The Texas state flag cannot be flown above the US flag, but because Texas entered the country as an independent nation, it can (and often is) flown at the same height as the US flag.

But I don’t really get the big deal behind flags.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:45 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
The Texas state flag cannot be flown above the US flag, but because Texas entered the country as an independent nation, it can (and often is) flown at the same height as the US flag.

But I don’t really get the big deal behind flags.
Its a respect thing. I live in a foreign country.

1. I would never even consider flying the US flag at the safe height or above the National flag. That would be like urinating on their national symbol. Its just not done.

2. I dont fly our flag period. I am a guest in this country.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:17 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So she doesn't know that Hispanic Americans are also considered Americans? How so? Doesn't change the fact that English is our national de facto language, not Spanish. Doesn't change the fact that most in the audience didn't speak Spanish so what was her point?

Nothing narrow minded or bigoted about expecting everyone to assimilate into our society so we can communicate with one another. What language they choose to speak in their homes is entirely different. No need for the melodramatics. This whole thing is so simple "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and there is a time and place for everything. Why bring up the past at all? It has nothing to do with today.
JLo certainly knows she is American. She also knows her Puerto Rican roots as her parents were born on the Island. She was born in the Bronx. Clearly raised in a predominately Puerto Rican Neighborhood also
and that those born on the island are automatically American citizens and her parents clearly were in no need of a visa to come to NYC. Why is that so difficult.

I am not young and know plenty of our Grandparents learned little English as they were home bodies as women especially and had their own ethnic market to go to. Even my old small home city had its Italian side and Polish side and Irish side and English side etc. Ultimately, intermarriage is what changed things and ended a need for ethnic neighborhoods as newer immigrants were much rarer in small city American compared to 19th and early 20th century decades.

After high school I move to Chicago as I had relatives there and my one Uncle then had a Polish mother who he moved from rural Wisconsin and lived with his sister in Chicago. She only spoke Polish. He and the sister learned it early at home. The mother would never speak English and I never knew if she ever knew much whatsoever. I met here many occasions and she never spoke English to me. All went though others from Polish. She lived well into her 90s and was near there in the 1980s then.

My Grandmother knew the low-Russian my Great Grandfather Spoke. He lived to be into his 90s when I was a boy. He spoke little English yet lived his life in the USA. Just too many still of his ethnicity in the are during his younger days and working days to survive with little English. That era of European Old-Timers sure is gone. Now we have generations of others who may have Grand-Parents who never learn English from a Hispanic Country etc. If they live in their neighborhood .... it does not hurt you whatsoever.

Living in a rural area like the Amish that are not far from me too. They speak a type of old German at home to this day. They know English when in our as they call it .... English world. Still it is not what they grow up with. English is as a second Language once the kids are older they learn it. That also is what it is. You will never hear them do the US Anthems or even serve in our Military. They are exempt for Religious reasons.

JLo did nothing to offend anyone at Biden's ceremony. You have a right to your opinion. So do others to say it is a bit far to claim a -- how dare she do that with some Spanish. Really is what can lead to extremist views of thinking someone of another cultural aspect should like forget their heritage and what? Learn only American cooking too? What exactly is that? Italian, Polish, French? We have a mixture depending on our own Ethnic heritage. I had Italian neighbors growing up. The family would not eat someone else's food given to her. She would give it to my family so it at least did not go to waste. The Parents were strict Catholic. The Mrs. would not step foot in a Protestant Church for my wedding.... even though she was my God-Mother also as none of her family came. We just respected her beliefs and it was nothing to get angered about. She and her husband knew both Italian and English though and the husband had a very thick accent. I got a kick out of their arguments in Italian when young.

I did not know my Father's parents. They passed before I was born. They spoke Polish/Slavic. Never knew the degree of English they might have known waaaay back in the 1940s they passed. I do know that there were plenty of Ethnic-born from abroad people .... still in my hometown in the 1940s and with their own ethnic shops in neighborhoods and butchers etc. My Mother's mother was the only grand-parent I knew. She was born here but clearly could speak the low-Russian of her parents (my grand-parents) at home when growing up and had to. As I noted.... I knew only the one grandmother.

Last edited by NoHyping; 01-22-2021 at 12:37 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It was one fricken sentence. She did not sing the entire song in Spanish. She did not give a speech in Spanish. ONE sentence and people are acting like it's the end of the world.
People questioning the purpose of something does not mean they're acting like it's the end of the world. Yes it was one sentence, but it was noticeable because in all the years we've inaugurated presidents, that one sentence has never been necessary. Between this and her Super Bowl performance with 'kids in cages' the political meaning behind this one sentence is obvious.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmerAmerican View Post
It's perceived differently by each individual. To you English may be the identifying language while to others Spanish is equally identifiable. There's no denying that Spanish is one of our languages. You may perceive it differently than others but that doesn't make others wrong. It's fine to treat them equally... at least in America.
I've lived in majority Hispanic areas in Albuquerque, Los Angeles, and Austin; native Spanish speakers know that English is the majority language nationally. They may speak whatever they want between friends and family, but know and expect public school and other government functions--from road signs to public ceremonies--to be conducted in English by default. And no they do not expect Americans in Mississippi, Vermont, or Illinois to be Spanish speakers.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I understand that you and many others may not be from the US so you don't necessarily know that there are exemptions from English fluency for the citizenship test. You may also know that Americans born here are not required to take the citizenship test.

Most of what she spoke was in English. She chose to speak one sentence in Spanish to reach those Americans (which is a large amount) in their native language.

Your suggestion that singers should cover all languages of Americans is liberal ludicrousness on your part. One singer wanted to say one sentence in one of our other dominant languages. That doesn't mean others should have to do the same.
I understand that as a Texan you and many others may not have lived outside your state or have any knowledge of anything outside of Texas More than 30 states (that's most!) actually recognize English as their official language.

I supposed you're patting yourself on the back for your inaccurate, passive-aggressive insult that I may not be American since I offered a valid counter-argument to your post, but yes I'm aware that people over 55 or who have been here longer than 20 years are exempt from English fluency. It still stands that the MAJORITY of people taking the citizenship test need to pass English fluency. They're called exceptions because they are exceptions, not the rule.

Further, the higher education enrollment requirement for DACA counts ESL class, so oddly these foreign nationals recognize the necessity of English fluency even when you, Texan, cannot.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:02 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyskies1999 View Post
I wasn't particularly impressed by Jennifer Lopez's or Lady Gaga's performance. To me, the sounded average.
At least J-Lo doesn't use botox or surgery, so is a good role model.

However if they wanted Spanish they could have got Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine out of retirement for a quarter of the price.

Lady Gaga's US national anthem was quite touching.

To all those Hollywood Celebs, think before you have that surgery and botox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP1EkSvI1fo

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-22-2021 at 05:20 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 06:29 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
People questioning the purpose of something does not mean they're acting like it's the end of the world. Yes it was one sentence, but it was noticeable because in all the years we've inaugurated presidents, that one sentence has never been necessary. Between this and her Super Bowl performance with 'kids in cages' the political meaning behind this one sentence is obvious.
JLo wouldn't have cared less if these kids put in holding facilities (not cages anyway) were of any other ethnicity than herself. She has that typical Hispanic tribal mentality that reeks of arrogance and over the top pride of her ethnic roots that trumps her Americanism and our immigration laws. JLo has always had an ulterior motive by using Spanish to make a political point.

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-22-2021 at 06:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 06:32 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Thank you, well stated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies