Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,779,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
After feeling better Thursday, Dad was taken again to the ER on Friday. He was very weak and was unable to get around on his own. The meds have helped his pain, but he has quickly developed a severe bladder infection. He is at home now but hasn't improved as of yet.

The ER doctor told him that he has treated several patients for UTI infections that recently received the Pfizer vaccination. Most were elderly but otherwise in good health.

Dad said that if he survives this, he would rather take his chances with COVID than the second dose of vaccine.

Hopefully, I will have good news to pass on soon.
I hope he continues to get better!

I very much doubt that the COVID vaccine caused the UTI, but rather it was an effect of the elderly patients not feeling all that great after getting it (like most other vaccines for the elderly) so getting enough fluids wasn't top of the list for them. The elderly are prone to UTIs since they don't drink enough fluids. My dad gets one regularly, sadly. It also affects his cognitive abilities when he gets one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 07:25 PM

36,969 posts, read 40,910,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I hope he continues to get better!

I very much doubt that the COVID vaccine caused the UTI, but rather it was an effect of the elderly patients not feeling all that great after getting it (like most other vaccines for the elderly) so getting enough fluids wasn't top of the list for them. The elderly are prone to UTIs since they don't drink enough fluids. My dad gets one regularly, sadly. It also affects his cognitive abilities when he gets one.
I also extend my sympathy to your dad, jasper, and agree with goldenlove's conclusion about the vaccine and UTI.

If it has not already been done, your dad needs an appointment with a urologist to make sure there is not something, such as an enlarged prostate or a kidney stone, predisposing him to the infection.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:25 PM

13,277 posts, read 7,806,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Durability of immunity is unknown.

Durability of the vaccine is unknown.

Viruses mutate because that’s what they do.
Don't let yourself be inoculated . . .

"Martin says Moderna, the manufacturer of a new Covid-RNA
injection, describes its product not as a vaccine, but as
“gene-therapy technology” in SEC filings. This is because
neither Moderna nor Pfizer (the other manufacturer of the
injections) makes any claims about their products creating
immunity or preventing transmission.

https://arlenejohnson.livejournal.com/259637.html

https://vaccineimpact.com/2021/cdc-s...-side-effects/

Old 01-23-2021, 07:35 PM

4,941 posts, read 2,188,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I also extend my sympathy to your dad, jasper, and agree with goldenlove's conclusion about the vaccine and UTI.

If it has not already been done, your dad needs an appointment with a urologist to make sure there is not something, such as an enlarged prostate or a kidney stone, predisposing him to the infection.
I respect both you and goldenglove's opinions, but both of Dad's ER doctors said that his UTI was a Pfizer side effect in other patients that THEY have been treating in the ER. This is not limited to my Dad.

Regardless, I appreciated the good wishes.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:24 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:
I respect both you and goldenglove's opinions, but both of Dad's ER doctors said that his UTI was a Pfizer side effect in other patients that THEY have been treating in the ER. This is not limited to my Dad.

That wasn't what you said above, just that they'd seen UTIs in people who had recently been vaccinated. If there was some sort of tracking being done rather than a doctor stating that they'd seen UTIs in those who had been vaccinated, that would be helpful.

Again, I hope your father gets better quickly. I always worry when my dad is ill, which seems to be more often with his age.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 PM

58 posts, read 28,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010
The doctor in Miami may have died from a complication of the vaccine. That is one death. Is it more "interesting" than over 400,000 deaths from COVID-19 in the US alone?
Well if we can believe thier #s Suzy which is quite hard to!

Old 01-23-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Don't let yourself be inoculated . . .

"Martin says Moderna, the manufacturer of a new Covid-RNA
injection, describes its product not as a vaccine, but as
“gene-therapy technology” in SEC filings. This is because
neither Moderna nor Pfizer (the other manufacturer of the
injections) makes any claims about their products creating
immunity or preventing transmission.
The technology may be "gene therapy" but it works as a vaccine. That is why it is being called a vaccine.

Both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines showed fewer COVID-19 cases in vaccinated people, and Moderna has preliminary evidence that its vaccine reduces asymptomatic infections, which would be expected to reduce transmission. Both also have animal studies (non-human primates) supporting reduced transmission.

We just have to wait until the drug companies finish compiling their data to know more.

The Israelis do have evidence for reduced infection after the first dose over age 60:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00140-w

"In a preliminary analysis of 200,000 people older than 60 who received the vaccine, compared with a matched group of 200,000 who did not, researchers found that the chances of testing positive for the virus were 33% lower two weeks after the first injection."

They will be looking at what happens after the second dose, too.

Quote:

You are welcome.

However, your ER's experience is anecdotal, and I can find no reports anywhere of others noting a correlation. I cannot think of a plausible mechanism for a way for the vaccine to cause or predispose to urinary infections, apart from the dehydration that goldenlove mentioned.

Your dad should see a urologist, not just assume the infection is a vaccine side effect, because if the has something else going on it needs to be diagnosed and fixed.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:24 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,250,866 times
Shaking my head, here. Two/three days after vaccination active, healthy for his age 90 y/o man develops a UT infection so debilitating he can hardly walk. ER doc says he's seen this pattern of late in the elderly recently vaccinated - and yet the deniers will say this obvious common sense observation of cause and effect isn't credible unless it is "tracked" at the outset among others getting the jab and the doctor's real-life observation/experience isn't credible because it's 'anecdotal?'

And, then, the doc who three days after vaccination developed a rash symptomatic of total obliteration of his blood clotting factor resulting in massive fatal stroke two weeks later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/h...ine-death.html

Sorry..... to me the commonality of the the "one, two, three days after" is enough "coincidence" to convince me the vaccine has triggered/was the catalyst for these consequences.

The consequences may be outliers and uncommon in the grand scheme of things given the millions being vaccinated. Nonetheless, they occur.

Clearly, anyone choosing to be vaccinated needs to be prepared to be a coincidence - better termed an anomaly.

Vaccine is well-tolerated by most - but not everyone.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-23-2021 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-23-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Shaking my head, here. Two/three days after vaccination active, healthy for his age 90 y/o man develops a UT infection so debilitating he can hardly walk. ER doc says he's seen this pattern of late in the elderly recently vaccinated - and yet the deniers will say this obvious common sense observation of cause and effect isn't credible unless it is "tracked" at the outset among others getting the jab and the doctor's real-life observation/experience isn't credible because it's 'anecdotal?'

And, then, the doc who three days after vaccination developed a rash symptomatic of total obliteration of his blood clotting factor resulting in massive fatal stroke two weeks later

Sorry..... to me the commonality of the the "one, two, three days after" is enough "coincidence" to convince me the vaccine has triggered/was the catalyst for these consequences.

The consequences may be outliers and uncommon in the grand scheme of things given the millions being vaccinated. Nonetheless, they occur.

Clearly, anyone choosing to be vaccinated needs to be prepared to be a coincidence - better termed an anomaly.

How many 90 y/o men develop a UT infection so debilitating they can hardly walk even when they have not recently received a vaccine? You have to know that in order to know whether UTI after the vaccine is more common than would be expected in the absence of the vaccine.

If I take the vaccine and two or three days later I fall down the stairs and break my wrist, did the vaccine cause me to fall? Isn't that just as credible an "obvious common sense observation of cause and effect"?

The clotting abnormality can credibly be attributed to the vaccine because it has been reported with other vaccines and it also happens with COVID-19.

How would the COVID-19 vaccine cause a urinary infection? Apart from dehydration there is really no plausible mechanism that I can see.

To believe "The commonality of the the 'one, two, three days after' is enough 'coincidence' to convince me the vaccine has triggered/was the catalyst for these consequences" is to fall victim to the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

https://www2.palomar.edu/users/bthom...ter%20Hoc.html

Old 01-23-2021, 10:00 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,552,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

And, then, the doc who three days after vaccination developed a rash symptomatic of total obliteration of his blood clotting factor resulting in massive fatal stroke two weeks later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/h...ine-death.html

Sounds like you can say the same with people who get the virus. Millions get it and most recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies