Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 07:24 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to see this pop up on the top page. I guess I will provide an update.

Dad should be receiving his suprapubic catheter next week since his bladder suddenly stopped functioning after his 1/16 vaccination. It was scheduled sooner but he has been preoccupied with mom's rapid progressive dementia diagnosis despite no confirmation of dementia illnesses in the numerous scans while she was hospitalized over the last two weeks.

Mom has regained quite a bit of cognitive function but still cannot walk (despite being able to walk without issue the day before being hospitalized). I visited her last weekend and expected that it would be the last time I saw her alive, or at least aware. Today, she is on her third day of rehab while isolated in a facility for at least three weeks. The reports are positive.

Both parents were healthy and active prior to Vaccination Day on 1/16 (1st shot). Based on their personal experiences, both have declined the second shot.

I was pleasantly surprised when I called my 90-year-old Dad today and he was mowing the lawn. "Can I call you back when I'm done"? Music to my ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 07:51 PM

331 posts, read 182,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I was surprised to see this pop up on the top page. I guess I will provide an update.

Dad should be receiving his suprapubic catheter next week since his bladder suddenly stopped functioning after his 1/16 vaccination. It was scheduled sooner but he has been preoccupied with mom's rapid progressive dementia diagnosis despite no confirmation of dementia illnesses in the numerous scans while she was hospitalized over the last two weeks.

Mom has regained quite a bit of cognitive function but still cannot walk (despite being able to walk without issue the day before being hospitalized). I visited her last weekend and expected that it would be the last time I saw her alive, or at least aware. Today, she is on her third day of rehab while isolated in a facility for at least three weeks. The reports are positive.

Both parents were healthy and active prior to Vaccination Day on 1/16 (1st shot). Based on their personal experiences, both have declined the second shot.

I was pleasantly surprised when I called my 90-year-old Dad today and he was mowing the lawn. "Can I call you back when I'm done"? Music to my ears.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:02 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post

Thank you for the update. All the best to you and your family. Mowing the lawn must have made your day and his.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:29 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
The second Pfizer dose gave me some pretty profound fatigue too. I’m over it because I’m not that old yet and in prettt good shape. I was surprised though. I’ve never had an issue with flu shots or even Pfizer #1.

Hope your parents get well soon.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:38 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I'm more worried about mRNA vaccines in the young than the old.

Few points, young people's risk to severe Covid19 is so low to begin with it, we wouldn't be even thinking about vaccinating them other than the fact some of their parents are scared to death of catching Covid from their kids.

Blah blah eliminating the virus from human hosts.

Anyways, we have the vaccine manufactures asserting that the injected mRNA will break down in the cell after being used to make spike proteins.

When mRNA breaksdown, it breaks down into nucleotides. These nucleotides will be absorbed into your cell's nucleus.

Second, our nucleus is bidirectional membrane. The mRNA our nucleus produces is coded to go 1-way, through the nucleus membrane and never back in. Because if it gets back in, it could severely f things up. However, these synthetic mRNAs, new to our bodies, may not work that way, even if they don't work that way 0.1% of the time, that's a huge tragedy for our kids who are still growing.

Third, we don't know what else besides the mRNA is in those lipid membranes. Even by accident, other small pieces of DNA or viruses can find themselves into that lipid capsule, which will then introduce it into our cells.
Kids do catch the virus and can generate new variants. There are children who are immunocompromised. and it appears that people who are immunocompromised can remain infected for longer periods of time, allowing multiple mutations in the virus they are carrying.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mmune-systems/

You blah blah reducing (no one expects elimination) the amount of circulating virus but it is important to do it and thus the risk of exposure to it in order to safely open back up.

The manufacturers "assert" that the mRNA breaks down because that is what it is observed to do.

The nucleotides are recycled the same way they are when any other mRNA breaks down. The mRNA from the vaccine works just like any other mRNA.

Do you remember that there was a problem at one vaccine manufacturing plant? It was discovered by QA processes and the vaccine, quite a lot of it, was destroyed.

You can speculate all you want to. That is where SciFi movie scripts come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Thank you. Very good explanation. Another poster also mentioned the lipids for delivery used in the trials may not be the same as what is being used in mass production of the vaccine. Those links were very interesting.
Source, please. A great deal of work went into designing the lipid envelopes and Pfizer and Moderna hit home runs with them. Why would they want to change it? If they did they would have to get it approved by the FDA, possibly do more testing. Why bother?

Old 04-30-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Kids do catch the virus and can generate new variants. There are children who are immunocompromised. and it appears that people who are immunocompromised can remain infected for longer periods of time, allowing multiple mutations in the virus they are carrying.

You blah blah reducing (no one expects elimination) the amount of circulating virus but it is important to do it and thus the risk of exposure to it in order to safely open back up.

The manufacturers "assert" that the mRNA breaks down because that is what it is observed to do.

The nucleotides are recycled the same way they are when any other mRNA breaks down. The mRNA from the vaccine works just like any other mRNA.

Do you remember that there was a problem at one vaccine manufacturing plant? It was discovered by QA processes and the vaccine, quite a lot of it, was destroyed.

Source, please. A great deal of work went into designing the lipid envelopes and Pfizer and Moderna hit home runs with them. Why would they want to change it? If they did they would have to get it approved by the FDA, possibly do more testing. Why bother?
You still don’t understand the concept of acceptable risk. Sad.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:55 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Have had both Pfizer's now. No issues other than a sore arm. Had covid too which was not much.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:

Yup. The lipid envelope, a development that wasn't possible before the DNA double helix was cracked, is truly a miracle.

It isn't actually a virus. it's an imitation that's exactly like a virus that's completely neutral by itself. But its shape teaches our immune system to identify it as being a hostile virus so our white blood cells go hunt and kill the real thing as soon as it gets into our system.

That's why both vaccines are protective against the Covid variants. If Covid ever changes its shape, and it could, Moderna and Pfizer can both revise the vaccine to match the new shape lickety-split. The basic shape is already made and finished.

The problem with some folks falling ill from the vaccines seems to be the differences in our body's immune systems and the reactions the differences cause.

Yellow fever was eliminated with a vaccine that was 40% effective. When everyone was vaccinated, that 40% was enough to kill yellow fever.
The Covid vaccines are all 90% or more effective, so if we're all vaccinated, we could kill Covid completely by starving it out of existence.

We are a very long way from herd immunity here in the U.S.A., where we have the most abundant supplies of vaccine in the world. But if we all got shots, the U.S. could be an island of immunity in a sea of infection. We are far closer to herd immunity than almost every other country in the world right now, even though we are still far from it.

Don't go to India just yet. And be glad Indians aren't allowed to come here for a while.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:41 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You still don’t understand the concept of acceptable risk. Sad.

My post did not address "acceptable risk" at all. However, an individual may be willing to accept risks concerning infectious diseases that put others at what they consider unacceptable risk.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:

My post did not address "acceptable risk" at all. However, an individual may be willing to accept risks concerning infectious diseases that put others at what they consider unacceptable risk.
Your subjective desire to live in a society with no risk from infectious disease has nothing to do with the scientific concept of acceptable risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies