Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the bigger cult, "QAnon" or "Global Warming?"
Global Warming 97 61.39%
QAnon 61 38.61%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 05:17 PM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That's not true. In the 70s there were telling us the world would end due to all that carbon in the air creating global cooling. It was going to be the next ice age. Their proof-more carbon in the atmosphere and temperatures had been declining in the last decade or so.
Yup. In fact, here's a 1975 article in which the "experts" were telling us that we were about to enter a new Ice Age.

Once again, we would be forced into "economic and social change on a global scale."

HAHA. It's like a crazy religion!

https://www.scribd.com/doc/225798861...-April-28-1975

Old 01-21-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Of course they're anecdotal - I wrote of my personal experience, as you also did. But I documented and dated what I observed and experienced each year. I also listed the weather and temperature on each of my visits to my rural property (I live in town).

This June will conclude my 14th year of ownership of my wooded property. This will be the 13th year I've documented when each variety of spring ephemeral wildflower blooms. They still bloom in their accustomed order, but start blooming two weeks earlier on the average than was the case 13 years ago. That change has been consistent over the last five years.

It's the extremes that are increasing, not just the fluctuations. You got more snow last winter - I got a very wet summer and an earlier spring than used to be the case. The fires in California were horrific and far worse than previously experienced. Four years ago, the month after the election, hundreds of acres in and adjacent to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park burned, made much worse by very high winds previously unknown in the mountains. Last year, hurricanes persisted until late fall/early winter, and there were so many that the prepared alphabet of names ran out and Greek numerals had to be used to supplement it.

The cause (s) of these changes can be debated - but the existence of these changes is indisputable.
Great, things are changing.

Once again I ask, why do you assume this is "bad?"

And if you assume it is "bad," define "good."

What temperature SHOULD the Earth be for our own good? If you can't define that, then how do you know the current temperature is "bad?"

Old 01-21-2021, 05:34 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yup. In fact, here's a 1975 article in which the "experts" were telling us that we were about to enter a new Ice Age.

Scientist who came up with that idea debunked himself -- after he published it he realized he overestimated the cooling effect of particle pollution and underestimated the warming effect of CO2.

There were very few scientific journal studies that concluded an ice age was imminent. It was almost entirely a media fad.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-in-the-1970s/

Old 01-21-2021, 06:46 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post

Once again, we would be forced into "economic and social change on a global scale."

HAHA. It's like a crazy religion!

[scribd]225798861[/scribd]
I'm old enough to remember seeing the magazines and reading the articles.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:49 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Of course they're anecdotal - I wrote of my personal experience, as you also did. But I documented and dated what I observed and experienced each year. I also listed the weather and temperature on each of my visits to my rural property (I live in town).

This June will conclude my 14th year of ownership of my wooded property. This will be the 13th year I've documented when each variety of spring ephemeral wildflower blooms. They still bloom in their accustomed order, but start blooming two weeks earlier on the average than was the case 13 years ago. That change has been consistent over the last five years.

It's the extremes that are increasing, not just the fluctuations. You got more snow last winter - I got a very wet summer and an earlier spring than used to be the case. The fires in California were horrific and far worse than previously experienced. Four years ago, the month after the election, hundreds of acres in and adjacent to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park burned, made much worse by very high winds previously unknown in the mountains. Last year, hurricanes persisted until late fall/early winter, and there were so many that the prepared alphabet of names ran out and Greek numerals had to be used to supplement it.

The cause (s) of these changes can be debated - but the existence of these changes is indisputable.
What is also debatable-and unknowable-is which direction these changes will take in the future.

We did have a cooling after the 50s and a long period with few hurricanes. Then it got warmer and we had more hurricanes. The last 15 years or so, its been different in different parts of the globe.

If not for the "Little Ice Age" in the middle ages, we might all be speaking Norwegian. The Vikings did make it to America.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:18 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
To find the answer, you'll need to consult a magic 8 ball. That would make about as much sense as this question.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Scientist who came up with that idea debunked himself -- after he published it he realized he overestimated the cooling effect of particle pollution and underestimated the warming effect of CO2.

There were very few scientific journal studies that concluded an ice age was imminent. It was almost entirely a media fad.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-in-the-1970s/
Ooooooh Okay. Well then it's settled.

I can see someone in 10 years from now saying the same thing about the current "warming is bad" fad.

Ooops...our mistake. On to the next "crisis."

Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That's not true. In the 70s there were telling us the world would end due to all that carbon in the air creating global cooling. It was going to be the next ice age. Their proof-more carbon in the atmosphere and temperatures had been declining in the last decade or so.
For many decades before the 70s, what were the "scientists" saying? Global warming and impending apocalypse!

Either we're all going to burn to death or freeze to death. You've got to choose which poison you want, huh?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
To find the answer, you'll need to consult a magic 8 ball. That would make about as much sense as this question.
Right. Just because you've been fed lies your whole life and believed them...it's hard to change your identity to attack the dissenting thought.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:36 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
There are a variety of home experiments I can do to prove that the greenhouse effect is real and reproduceable. I bet you can leave a baby with HRC come back in a hour and the baby will still have all its blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies