Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 06:55 PM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks93 View Post
Say good bye to the american agro industry.
There are unlimited visas for legal, foreign farm workers and only 2% of illegals are working on farms. I think the ag industry should become more automated as it's not a career job for Americans anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 07:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the '80s. Millions were given a pathway to citizenship.

What to do with the rest and newer illegal immigrants has been a can that's been kicking forward for 35 years. That's no accident. Has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority. And that includes Trump.

Florida is in the top three in terms of states with the most undocumented people. There is an unlimited number of visas for seasonal agriculture workers, yet there is a preference for undocumented people. Florida made eVerify mandatory and exempted verification of independent contractors which most are.

Undocumented people are the backbone of agriculture, meat and seafood packing, construction, hospitality, restaurants, etc. All lobby at state and national levels to protect their best interests.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:08 PM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
There is a reason you never see white americans working the fields, they would never do such hard work for such low wages and no benefits
And why should they? Why would you just mention white Americans anyway? Hmm. What about black, Asian, etc. Americans you're not going to complain about them? I'll bet Hispanic-Americans don't want those jobs either as it's not a career job for any American regardless of their race. That's why we have unlimited visas for legal, foreign farm workers.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:15 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You know, the issue of illegal immigration isn't one that only conservatives care about.

I'm a liberal (and a legal immigrant, now a citizen), and I, too, want mass illegal immigration stopped. I add the term "mass" to that sentence, because I don't think we can ever stop it completely. There are just too many people hell-bent on entering illegally and too few people and other resources to put an end to it.

Yes, conservatives speak with forked tongue about this, but so do liberals: they want to allow people to illegally enter and remain in the country because they (rightfully) care about how the US treats people, and because they feel illegal immigrants are entitled to a better life.

Yet, 11 million+ illegal immigrants, with tens of thousands of others attempting to coming every month, absolutely DO suppress wages, which then affects the standards of living of many Americans.

Plus, as long as mass illegal immigration occurs, the US will never have universal healthcare, which every other advanced country DOES have. But what every other advanced country doesn't have is a continuous, uncontrollable stream of people illegally crossing their borders.

So, liberals can't have it both ways, either: you can either continue to allow hundreds of thousands of people to enter and staying the US, or we can (maybe) have nice things like universal healthcare. You can't have it both ways. No country can.

If the pandemic had done nothing else, it has shown the world that the US healthcare system allows too many decent, hardworking, tax-paying, law-abiding citizens to fall through the cracks and either be denied access to care or face financial ruin.
See now we can start agreeing with people. Every illegal is deported immediately, mandatory national ID, stop catering to people too lazy to learn English, only net tax payers get to vote, then I would be ok with universal healthcare. I don't work my ass off the pay for others existence.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:16 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
See now we can start agreeing with people. Every illegal is deported immediately, mandatory national ID, stop catering to people too lazy to learn English, only net tax payers get to vote, then I would be ok with universal healthcare. I don't work my ass off the pay for others existence.
The bolded is un-American and undemocratic

Old 01-21-2021, 07:18 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
There is a reason you never see white americans working the fields, they would never do such hard work for such low wages and no benefits

Because the Left has culturally brainwashed them into believing they didn't have to because it's beneath them.

And with the welfare state and illegal labor backing them up ....

They're right, they don't have to.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because the Left has culturally brainwashed them into believing they didn't have to because it's beneath them.

And with the welfare state backing them up ....

They're right, they don't have to.
Have you ever been to a commercial farm? I have, during my brief stint as a milk tanker driver. I don't envy those workers one bit

Old 01-21-2021, 07:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And why should they? Why would you just mention white Americans anyway? Hmm. What about black, Asian, etc. Americans you're not going to complain about them? I'll bet Hispanic-Americans don't want those jobs either as it's not a career job for any American regardless of their race. That's why we have unlimited visas for legal, foreign farm workers.
They seek unlimited --- they get limited:

AGRICULTURAL LABOR: FROM H-2A TO A WORKABLE AGRICULTURAL GUESTWORKER PROGRAM

"We all seek a future without reliance on unauthorized
workers. But to accomplish that, we need a guestworker program
to provide growers with the labor they need, indeed all of us
need.
What about the current H-2A agricultural worker program?
This program is numerically capped, and initial expectations
were that growers would use hundreds of thousands of H-2A
workers each year. Yet, the State Department only issues about
50,000 visas a year. So why is it so under-utilized?
What I am going to do today is ask the farmers, because in
the eyes of many, the program itself is designed to fail. It is
cumbersome. It is full of red tape. Growers have to pay wages
far above the locally prevailing wage, putting themselves at a
competitive disadvantage with growers who use illegal labor.
Growers are subject to onerous rules, such as the 50 percent
rule, which requires them to hire any domestic worker who shows
up even after the H-2A worker has arrived from overseas.
Growers can't get workers in time to meet needs dictated by the
weather. And finally, growers are constantly subject to
litigation by those who don't think the H-2A program should
even exist."

There are abusive (look into it) situations at many of these places --- it would take a special someone to put up with it.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:24 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
All immigration unnaturally deflates wages, just ask any tech person who has lost their job to an H-2b hire. The mantra that Americans aren’t willing to do certain jobs is simply untrue, the truth is Americans aren’t willing to do those jobs for the low wage they are being offered. There is a reason that America’s greatest middle class growth occurred during a time period when we had our most stringent immigration laws and enforcement. Immigration, particularly unchecked illegal immigration, is a bonanza for the more affluent members of our society, it is devastating to America’s most economically vulnerable citizens, in particular black males.

Oh, and that risen minimum wage definitely motivates more under-the-table hiring.

Increased minimum wage + increased illegal immigration tolerance = higher African-American unemployment rates.
Just ask any truck driver that literally keeps America moving what immigrants did to the average trucker salary.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Just ask any truck driver that literally keeps America moving what immigrants did to the average trucker salary.
I drive a truck, if you are also a driver, you should know that there aren't any illegals driving trucks here. Just to get a CDL, you either have to be a citizen or naturalized. I had to get my birth certificate from the state of NY when I got mine 6 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies