Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 05:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

I found this, the first thing that popped up with the google search "farm subsidies rerouted to school lunches" and found a kind of related article, from 2016, saying farmers were getting paid specifically for the food they were sending to free lunch school programs, with the bill authored by a lawmaker in Kansas who represented farmers.

So, no.

https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...policy-000069/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 05:59 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Biden changed a bunch of stuff yesterday, and this farmer will lose One of her Two farms now because of his Executive Orders.

Something to do with Death taxes, & Fed farm loans. The stuff you hear, and read about, devastates some people's lives. She was almost in tears after losing her Daddy's Farm he left to her just 1 day into Joe Biden's tenure.

She pointed out that most "farm subsidies" have been hijacked, and re-routed to free school meals, & the remaining "subsidies" are just loan guarantees....not grants/giveaways like the media leads us all to believe.

She said the Federal Government is putting our food supply in peril. Very sad.
Spamming X for doubt.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:01 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Biden changed a bunch of stuff yesterday, and this farmer will lose One of her Two farms now because of his Executive Orders.

Something to do with Death taxes, & Fed farm loans. The stuff you hear, and read about, devastates some people's lives. She was almost in tears after losing her Daddy's Farm he left to her just 1 day into Joe Biden's tenure.

She pointed out that most "farm subsidies" have been hijacked, and re-routed to free school meals, & the remaining "subsidies" are just loan guarantees....not grants/giveaways like the media leads us all to believe.

Really cute that you're blaming it all on Biden.

ANY federal policy is going to make someone unhappy. A few stray anecdotes mean nothing.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The ultimate goal will be to end the private ownership of land and business. The government will own everything and all citizens will be forced to move to large cities and live in small flats within three to six story block houses (for a visual, look up the "apartments" in Russia during communist rule).

Essentially, you will all be warehoused as slaves were a hundred fifty years ago. The difference will be slightly better living conditions and the implementation of "soft slavery." The goal of soft slavery is to allow the slaves to believe they are "charting their own course in life," whilst still functioning in the primary role as revenue generation devices for the plantation owner's and/or royalty and elites (in this case, the federal government). As a soft slave, you are allowed a little more latitude in life than were full slaves. A portion of your day will be seized by the master, rather than all of your waking hours. This is the elite class' way of preventing uprisings and revolts or calls from the serfs to end slavery. You will be fed and watered, and expected to perform your function. In return, on your off hours, you will be allowed to smoke crack, shoot heroin, dink with your smartphone, and marry the squirrel living in the tree outside your window just to make you think you are free.
What you have done is a rendition of Plato's Cave and I've attempted to do the same, yet they do not listen.

"What would the liberated prisoner now prefer?
SOCRATES: Do you think the one who had gotten out of the cave would still envy those within the cave and would want to compete with them who are esteemed and who have power? Or would not he or she much rather wish for the condition that Homer speaks of, namely "to live on the land [above ground] as the paid menial of another destitute peasant"? Wouldn't he or she prefer to put up with absolutely anything else rather than associate with those opinions that hold in the cave and be that kind of human being?
GLAUCON: I think that he would prefer to endure everything rather than be that kind of human being.
<snip>
And the final outcome:
SOCRATES: And if they can get hold of this person who takes it in hand to free them from their chains and to lead them up, and if they could kill him, will they not actually kill him?
GLAUCON: They certainly will."

Old 01-21-2021, 06:13 PM

This is how Joe Biden will tax generational wealth transfer

"Biden has also set his sights on estates, but is taking a different tack from merely raising rates on wealth transfer.

He would levy a tax on unrealized appreciation of assets passed on at death, the center found.
<snip>
By taxing the unrealized gain at death, heirs would get hit at the transfer, regardless of whether they sell the asset, Gleckman said."

Old 01-21-2021, 06:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
So the poster-child farmer in the OP has two farms? Somehow (not due to Biden) she has gone under in spite of subsidies, bailouts, etc. Sounds like somebody was asleep at the wheel or living in the past.

I took a road trip through western farm country a while after Trump started his trade war. There were mountains of grain and soy beans piled around the overfilled elevators. You could smell the rotting beans before you reached the towns. The shock of the trade war has lasting impact.

I recall when we went through the farm crisis a few decades ago and a lot of that was farmers going in over their head. Why choose a make-do tractor when you can buy one with bells and whistles? People don't learn -- there are good years and bad years and there are economic downturns and trade policy changes all the time.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:22 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:

Did you take the opportunity to tell her to find some bootstraps and stop subsisting off welfare at least?

Old 01-21-2021, 06:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
I've been speaking to farmers for the past five years, mostly because I've been helping them go through bankruptcy.

On the one hand, agriculture is and probably always will be such a heavily government subsidized arrangement that I don't even know how people complain about welfare that just goes to individuals. Farms do not make money.

On the other hand, I did tell them when Trump won what they needed to prepare for because the tariffs and global supply chain were going to be disrupted. My intel was not wrong. If anything it was much worse than what I had imagined it would be.

Between immigration crackdowns and the pandemic, the net effect has been farmers who do not have access to slave labor from Mexican immigrants anymore.

I mean... they don't pay labor, they don't have to pay fairly, and despite massive losses they're kept afloat by nothing more than government handouts. It isn't clear to me why this business model has been perpetuated for so long.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
This is how Joe Biden will tax generational wealth transfer

"Biden has also set his sights on estates, but is taking a different tack from merely raising rates on wealth transfer.

He would levy a tax on unrealized appreciation of assets passed on at death, the center found.
<snip>
By taxing the unrealized gain at death, heirs would get hit at the transfer, regardless of whether they sell the asset, Gleckman said."
Which has not happened as of yet so would not have caused the OPs friend to lose one of their farms yesterday.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
So the poster-child farmer in the OP has two farms? Somehow (not due to Biden) she has gone under in spite of subsidies, bailouts, etc. Sounds like somebody was asleep at the wheel or living in the past.

I took a road trip through western farm country a while after Trump started his trade war. There were mountains of grain and soy beans piled around the overfilled elevators. You could smell the rotting beans before you reached the towns. The shock of the trade war has lasting impact.

I recall when we went through the farm crisis a few decades ago and a lot of that was farmers going in over their head. Why choose a make-do tractor when you can buy one with bells and whistles? People don't learn -- there are good years and bad years and there are economic downturns and trade policy changes all the time.
There were also the floods --- they were massive.

In 08 with Bush and the Farm Bill, the Republicans became the gate keepers of the bill, all years past it was a dem thing. But that changed as I read articles about Farmers being paid, not to farm and the Farm Bill, the great cash cow, under the Bush Administration.

Obama saw lots of money in that bill and sought to get at it and that was katy-bar-the-door, as the Bush administration had just past the budget on the Bill and that is locked in for 5 years. SNAP is also, a part of that bill, when it was added I do not know.

However, the op is referencing the inheritance of a property --- Biden does have a plan for that and if Congress goes along with it, much will change in that area and many family owned farms, passed down from generation to generation as a way of making a living are subject to disappear --- that has nothing to do with the 1933 Farm Bill or the cash cow it came to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies