Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2021, 07:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

What amazing powers Biden has, in even less than 24 hours, before the ink is dry on his signature, he has taken a farm from someone. And this is someone the OP has talked to.

So, it begs the question, who is lying, the OP or the farmer? I know a lot of farmers, and they don't lie, they're honest people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 07:33 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Is there an Uber driver involved? This is definitely a theme. Make a story up, assume no one in the room has better reasoning skills, then go with it. The really fun part begins with all the “backers” who hate the bad guy of the particular story jumping in to defend implausible actions.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:33 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Jeanne Crumly and 90 other ranchers in Nebraska were being sued so their land, their ranches which have been in their families for generations, would be taken for Keystone. She welcomed the cancelation.

And why would she not welcome its demise? The oil was destined for ports in TX for export. The Canadians didn't want it. No offense to Canadian readers, but they were counting on short term greed on our part to take the product they don't want in BC.

"TransCanada has been bullying my family and other Nebraska landowners for the past ten years, seeking land that’s been in our families for generations for a pipeline that threatens our farms, our water, and our climate. Now this foreign corporation has filed a lawsuit against my family, and dozens of other farming and ranching families, and intends to abuse eminent domain to take our land for KXL against our wishes." Jeanne Crumly Jeanne Crumly: Keystone XL Just Sued my Family to Take Our Land | Bold Nebraska

Exactly why are so called conservatives standing up for a foreign company, in this case a Canadian one? So much for America First...but we all knew that too was a scam.
But the jobs! The temporary.... jobs!! Who cares if it destroys ranches that have been run by the same families for generations so the Canadians can export their oil!

Old 01-22-2021, 07:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Is there an Uber driver involved? This is definitely a theme. Make a story up, assume no one in the room has better reasoning skills, then go with it. The really fun part begins with all the “backers” who hate the bad guy of the particular story jumping in to defend implausible actions.
touchè

Old 01-22-2021, 07:35 AM

726 posts, read 329,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Good God he can't change tax law with an executive order what in the world are you talking about?
Correct. It's a complete fabrication. It's misinforming. It's DISinformation, i.e., intentionally misinforming -- similar to what the Russians flooded the internet with in 2016 to favor Trump and generally divide the country. Real cute stuff.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:40 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There's already a movement to do that. "Grow food, not lawns" is making the rounds, and there are houses in my suburban neighborhood that actually have beautiful, abundant vegetable gardens in their FRONT yards, which is new.

Also, there's a movement for cities to plant fruit trees and nut trees in their public areas rather than the standard oaks and maples, etc.

But no, we don't need homesteading back again where everyone is self-sufficient for a year. It really didn't go all that well for homesteaders, either.
For Clarafication () *, my opinion is not that we should go back to homesteading or even that there should be a movement towards it (although I'm glad that vegetable gardening is taking off), but it would be good for people to have those skills should the need ever arise. I'd wholeheartedly support implementing programs like that in public school curricula.

*Said with gentle teasing, not mockingly

Old 01-22-2021, 07:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Dang, he's fast. Killed a farm in ONE DAY? This actually sounds like hyperbole and fear mongering. I doubt this has really happened.
Because it's not true. No legislation or policy trickles down in under 24 hrs. Not to the level of the individual.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
For Clarafication () *, my opinion is not that we should go back to homesteading or even that there should be a movement towards it (although I'm glad that vegetable gardening is taking off), but it would be good for people to have those skills should the need ever arise. I'd wholeheartedly support implementing programs like that in public school curricula.

*Said with gentle teasing, not mockingly
Interesting point. I also agree that there are skills we need to teach, and know, that are old skills that not everyone knows how to do anymore. I had this discussion with male friends, engineers, and they said no, there will never be a time when we needed those basic skills, and if there comes a time, you won't want to live in that world because something REALLY AWFUL has happened.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:53 AM

838 posts, read 555,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What amazing powers Biden has, in even less than 24 hours, before the ink is dry on his signature, he has taken a farm from someone. And this is someone the OP has talked to.

So, it begs the question, who is lying, the OP or the farmer? I know a lot of farmers, and they don't lie, they're honest people.
And this is what worries me. Exactly WHAT is the OP telling this person?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:54 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Because it's not true. No legislation or policy trickles down in under 24 hrs. Not to the level of the individual.
Executive orders could.

Some of those ridiculous wetlands rules of the Obama administration could break a farm overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies