Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 03:28 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Maybe they didn't think that raising oil prices also means everything on the store shelves is also going to go up in cost.
My point is this. People tend to be more concerned about what goes on in their own backyard than in someone else's backyard. People vote based on their own personal needs. That is how many people are. I'm not saying that it's right or that it won't have consequences. I'm saying "it is what it is".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 04:10 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Losing royalty taxes hurts the whole state.
Does the state get Royalty taxes on oil and gas drilled on federal property?

I know that oil companies like to drill on federal land because the royalties are significantly lower than the states charge.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:05 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
What you don't understand is most land in the western part of the country is federally owned. West of the Dakotas/Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas line, its federal.

Every time the Democrats from NYC and San Francisco restrict use of federal land it kills jobs in the west.

One of the reasons westerners hated losing Sandra Day O'Connor from the Supreme Court. She understood these issues. The Bos-Wash court we have now doesn't.
Oh come on. Those are not important jobs. Those are just middle class, dirty jobs. Who would want to work those? They should all learn how to code.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The SOB SAID he was going to do it. If they voted for him, they get what they deserve. Unfortunately a bunch of good people that didn't vote for him have to suffer too.
Well, they can always use Congress to block the bans/bills and hide behind States rights vs Federal Rights and then eventually let the courts handle it. More than likely this is what will happen.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:10 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I know that oil companies like to drill on federal land because the royalties are significantly lower than the states charge.
if it is on federal land, we should all be getting a bite -

Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

States and counties get 50% of the oil and gas revenues from Federal lands. That was true when I was working.....13 years ago. It probably is true today.

Congress gave HUGE subsidies to phone companies, ski areas, and other interests on public lands.

Each state is different. When I was working for the Federal government we actually had a telecommunications company return OUR BILL. They assumed it was wrong since it was SO LOW compared to the state of Washington charges.

I got to write the letter. I told them we had the "best Federal government that money could buy and their company had purchased Congress, this was their pay-off".

For some reason, that never made it to the final copy and I retired soon afterward.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
The last I heard NM's democrat governor was planning to ask for a waiver to exempt her state from the moratorium. We shall see.

That whole state depends on oil revenues to fund its roads and schools. If they lose it, New Mexicans better get ready for some tax hikes.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:26 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
His big win in New Mexico makes me wonder if there really was major fraud there. Oil & gas is big in New Mexico. I expected New Mexico to be close.

Its big in the SE part of the state. ABQ has most of the voters and far from that region. The 2018 NM Govenors race had the Democrat win by 15 points. Biden beat Trump by 11. So major fraud, no. Most likely almost no fraud.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The last I heard NM's democrat governor was planning to ask for a waiver to exempt her state from the moratorium. We shall see.

That whole state depends on oil revenues to fund its roads and schools. If they lose it, New Mexicans better get ready for some tax hikes.

States in the west get payment in lieu of taxes. The rates vary...the highest I believe is 50% for oil and gas revenues, timber industry pays 25%.

Congress got really generous with other industries like the telecommunication companies, ski areas, etc. etc.

In fact, since public lands are suppose to charge "market rates" for services and there was a good private market for telecommunication facilities....Congress said....just charge Verizon and ATT HALF the market rate!!!

Payments to states and counties are covered under 14 different laws last time I checked about 20 years ago.

We really do have "the best government money can buy". That is what needs to change, forget this left right crap. It doesn't mean a thing.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:32 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
New Mexico you reap what you sow. Enjoy coding or whatever bs these politicians promise you. Idiots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies