Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 03:51 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Well you get what you voted for. They let the big bad orange man hurt there whittle feelings and they'll just have to deal with it.
The oil producing counties voted for Trump. This is why Biden won.

-Lion's share of New Mexico's population lives in the Albuquerque and Las Cruces metro areas. These are tech, education, and aerospace hubs. No oil produced there.

-New Mexico is a majority-minority state. Hispanics are 46% of the population. Native Americans are 9% of the population. The oil rich southeast corner of New Mexico consists of counties that have among the highest White populations in New Mexico.

Your remarks are based in petulance, anger, and arrogance. This is why I write what I write. Maybe it would be important to look at this differently. New Mexico as a state, it seems like you don't understand New Mexico very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Wishing suffering on the majority of the US population. Talk about unpatriotic and unAmerican.
Sadly, this is how things are. Many people wish suffering on others. This is a sign of anger and arrogance. I disagree with you on many things, but I agree with you on this. Wishing harm on those just because they voted for someone different, that isn't going to get anyone anywhere. This kind of attitude exists with both liberals and conservatives. I don't wish ill on anyone. I just want people, on both sides, to grow up and quit operating under petulance and bullying. Wishing harm on others isn't going to bring prosperity or any worthwhile results.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its big in the SE part of the state. ABQ has most of the voters and far from that region. The 2018 NM Govenors race had the Democrat win by 15 points. Biden beat Trump by 11. So major fraud, no. Most likely almost no fraud.
This is what I've been saying the whole time. We have some individuals saying "New Mexico gets what it pays for". I look at a map of New Mexico, and look where Trump got the highest votes. It was in southeast New Mexico, the oil producing region.

Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Las Cruces metropolitan areas, where 61% of New Mexico's population lives, aren't oil producing areas. Four (4) counties gave Biden 68% of his votes in New Mexico: Bernanillo (Where the city of Albuquerque is located), Dona Ana (where the city of Las Cruces is located), Santa Fe (Santa Fe city is located there), and Sandoval County (Albuquerque suburb of Rio Rancho is located there. Intel , Sprint, and Hewlett-Packard are among the top 5 employers in Rio Rancho). Southeast New Mexico barely has 300,000 people.

And then consider that New Mexico has a Hispanic plurality (46%). Native Americans are 9% of the population. Both groups have a high likelihood of voting Democrat, Native Americans especially.

Albuquerque has the largest population and it is far away from the oil producing regions of New Mexico. But it's not acting alone either. Hardly any of the Native American reservations are near the oil producing areas either. Las Cruces isn't in an oil producing region either.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:10 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is what I've been saying the whole time. We have some individuals saying "New Mexico gets what it pays for". I look at a map of New Mexico, and look where Trump got the highest votes. It was in southeast New Mexico, the oil producing region.
There are people on both sides that seem to think a red or blue state means almost everyone votes with the majority. Reality is you have blue cities with red rural areas in most states. And the two sides agree on very little.

Quote:

And then consider that New Mexico has a Hispanic plurality (46%). Native Americans are 9% of the population. Both groups have a high likelihood of voting Democrat, Native Americans especially.
New Mexico is unique but parts of Texas are similar. Large Hispanic populations that vote Democrat but for different reasons that Democrats on both coasts do.
Quote:
Albuquerque has the largest population and it is far away from the oil producing regions of New Mexico. But it's not acting alone either. Hardly any of the Native American reservations are near the oil producing areas either. Las Cruces isn't in an oil producing region either.
New Mexico is a poor state. Usually near the bottom on most lists. Oil production does effect the overall economy and tax base even if people in other parts of the state don't see it directly. Unless one has an aversion to anything oil related and wants to stop it at all costs, I don't see the point of cutting off an important revenue stream for the state.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:31 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:

The moratorium affects oil and gas drilling on federal lands. And it lasts for 60 days. It doesn't affect non-federal land.
After reading more about this there are several things to consider.

1) Drilling is in a lull now.
2) Existing projects will continue through the moratorium
3) Oil companies were aware of this action being a possibility with a Biden win in the election. As a result companies accelerated their lease buying prior to the action being taken.
4) As mentioned, companies can comply for an exception.
5) Individuals who lose work in New Mexico should be able to find work in Texas across the border within a commutable distance (relative to traditional oil field commutes).

Ultimately, a review of policy is likely to find the oil patch of New Mexico as being suitable for drilling with modifications.

As one friend of mine who is from Artesia, NM said..."We ain't talkin' Yellowstone, or Glacier National here." If anyone here has been to SE New Mexico...you'd understand.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:42 AM

6,113 posts, read 3,344,280 times
New Mexico is just like a lot of states. A bunch of people in the city (ABQ and Santa Fe) who do not directly benefit from oil, so they vote against it because they are lied to in the media about climate change.

Not that climate change doesn’t exist, but they are lied to about how alternate energy sources are better for the environment. They are not.

So even though their state is hurt by Biden’s decision, many people don’t care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies