Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 07:57 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
That is a misattribution. It first appeared in 1951. If anyone can find the original source in Franklin's writings, please do so.

Regardless the meaning is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 08:03 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yep, foreign loans --- for that which they can't cover through wage garnishment. The u.s. has been budgeting through means of credit for long time now. This explains it better than I can:

I.O.U.S.A.: Byte-Sized - The 30 Minute Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Most of our federal debt is owned by us, not foreign entities. Foreign owned is about $7T.

https://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

Most new recent debt is Fed owned.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/TREAST
After the government used up all the monies the (largest workforce) Baby Boomer(s) paid into the SS in order to meet the public programs, they began to borrow more from foreign countries and I don't think it is the balance of debt that is the issue ---

"The debt becomes even more unsustainable when interest rates rise. When that happens, the interest on the debt will cost more than the $250 billion it does now." I.O.U.S.A. Movie Summary, Review and Background Information (2007 documentary)

It isn't the car note, the house loan, or the student loan that gets you --- it is the interest rates accrued over the period of the loan, that will keep a person in debt; operating on credit for their whole lives. The u.s. government is operating in the same way. The government ran out of our money a little over 50 years ago and the other deficit issue we have is leadership.

Again, the documentary explains it much better than I ever could; I can't even begin to do it justice, but I can follow along enough to understand, what happened to Greece can very well happen to the u.s.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” -Ben Franklin

Old 01-28-2021, 08:32 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And this is the result of an open and free market?
Mostly open and free. All modern and successful countries have a central bank and sovereign currency to manage as they see fit. The US, the USD and our Fed IMO are simply the best in the world.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Mostly open and free. All modern and successful countries have a central bank and sovereign currency to manage as they see fit. The US, the USD and our Fed IMO are simply the best in the world.
Did you have a gun to your head as you wrote that?

Blink twice if you're ok.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
After the government used up all the monies the (largest workforce) Baby Boomer(s) paid into the SS in order to meet the public programs, they began to borrow more from foreign countries and I don't think it is the balance of debt that is the issue ---

"The debt becomes even more unsustainable when interest rates rise. When that happens, the interest on the debt will cost more than the $250 billion it does now." I.O.U.S.A. Movie Summary, Review and Background Information (2007 documentary)

It isn't the car note, the house loan, or the student loan that gets you --- it is the interest rates accrued over the period of the loan, that will keep a person in debt; operating on credit for their whole lives. The u.s. government is operating in the same way. The government ran out of our money a little over 50 years ago and the other deficit issue we have is leadership.

Again, the documentary explains it much better than I ever could; I can't even begin to do it justice, but I can follow along enough to understand, what happened to Greece can very well happen to the u.s.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” -Ben Franklin
Comparing US federal debt to the debt of Greece is nonsense.

The USA has the USD as its sovereign currency. It cannot go bankrupt or fail to pay a USD denominated debt of any size, unless our elected officials decide to engage in such craziness. Greece on the other hand has no sovereign currency, and certainly can go BK.

The US Federal gov't handles debt much differently that you or I, any business, city or state. For one thing it never has to pay off its debt. And as it is being demonstrated right now, does not need any foreign entity to buy its debt.

When Franklin talked about money, he had no idea of the nature of modern fiat. His was gold coin and taxes. He should have talked to Hamilton!

Old 01-28-2021, 08:52 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:

The USA has the USD as its sovereign currency. It cannot go bankrupt or fail to pay a USD denominated debt of any size, unless our elected officials decide to engage in such craziness. Greece on the other hand has no sovereign currency, and certainly can go BK.

The US Federal gov't handles debt much differently that you or I, any business, city or state. For one thing it never has to pay off its debt. And as it is being demonstrated right now, does not need any foreign entity to buy its debt.

When Franklin talked about money, he had no idea of the nature of modern fiat. His was gold coin and taxes. He should have talked to Hamilton!
Straight out of the Modern Monetary Theory handbook. Debt doesn't matter, create as much money as you need, spend like maniacs, there are no limits, gravity is just a myth.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:59 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Straight out of the Modern Monetary Theory handbook. Debt doesn't matter, create as much money as you need, spend like maniacs, there are no limits, gravity is just a myth.
As the Trump GOP proved again. Except when they are not in power.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:31 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:

What part of they ran out of our money do you not get? If you do not pay your house note, or you car loan, the repo service shows up ---- does not end well. Several countries have come to get their gold; Germany for one; the u.s. is paying them in installments, so much every 7 years. And China bought up all our debt when Bush jr was in the WH.

What is it they say, sooner or later, you run out of everyone else's money --- to discover if that is true, one doesn't have to look very far ---

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today

" ... There is something called the "national debt." In the movie's [i.o.u.s.a.] interviews with ordinary people, it has a hard time finding anyone who knows exactly what that is. Well, I've never exactly known, either. I thought I knew, but it never came up in conversation, and it became a meaningless abstraction, even though in 2009, the debt will pass $9 trillion. You might think of those as dollars our nation has spent without having them.
<snip>
Here's an interesting statistic. I remember when "Made in China" meant cheap and shabby merchandise. No longer. In the ranking of the trade imbalance among all the world's nations, China is first with the highest surplus, and the United States is last with the largest deficit. The Chinese now hold a huge chunk of our debt. If they ever call in the loan, it would destroy our economy. In the presidential debate earlier in the year, Ron Paul was a lonely voice talking about the debt; the others on both sides paid lip service to the problem and moved on."

The rules of accounting do not change just because your a Country.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
More money can be created with modern money, then if strapped to gold or simply by using taxation.
What a nation does with it is policy.

Limits can be inflation not bankruptcy.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
What part of they ran out of our money do you not get? If you do not pay your house note, or you car loan, the repo service shows up ---- does not end well. Several countries have come to get their gold; Germany for one; the u.s. is paying them in installments, so much every 7 years. And China bought up all our debt when Bush jr was in the WH.

What is it they say, sooner or later, you run out of everyone else's money --- to discover if that is true, one doesn't have to look very far ---

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today

" ... There is something called the "national debt." In the movie's [i.o.u.s.a.] interviews with ordinary people, it has a hard time finding anyone who knows exactly what that is. Well, I've never exactly known, either. I thought I knew, but it never came up in conversation, and it became a meaningless abstraction, even though in 2009, the debt will pass $9 trillion. You might think of those as dollars our nation has spent without having them.
<snip>
Here's an interesting statistic. I remember when "Made in China" meant cheap and shabby merchandise. No longer. In the ranking of the trade imbalance among all the world's nations, China is first with the highest surplus, and the United States is last with the largest deficit. The Chinese now hold a huge chunk of our debt. If they ever call in the loan, it would destroy our economy. In the presidential debate earlier in the year, Ron Paul was a lonely voice talking about the debt; the others on both sides paid lip service to the problem and moved on."

The rules of accounting do not change just because your a Country.
The rules of money with countries does change if you are sovereign in yours, unattached or based on any commodity, freely floating and exchangeable with foreign currencies. You and I, businesses, cities and states have different rules. We are all users of the sovereign, not the creator. And that is a big difference. Love it or hate it, but learn it. Trump knows debt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies