Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 10:29 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Ignore list is for cowards!
I've never understood ignoring someone.

I'd rather have my enemies closer. "Keep your friends close, enemies closer".

I want to see what the nutjobs are saying so I can keep an eye on them - be ready for their lunacy at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 10:44 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I find that most of the time, when someone complains about the housing market, and you ask them how much they have saved for a down payment, the answer is "nothing."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-27-2021, 01:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Let markets WORK. If BUYERS didn't pay the prices for housing then they would not be valued like they are. When a correction is needed, it will happen and I see one coming during the early Biden years. Watch. Once people start losing their jobs and uncertainty in the business world is the norm, in large numbers then the housing markets will stall.
Trouble is, and Vancouverites lived this, is that there will always be buyers in housing markets that the world's wealthy are attracted to and will invest in.

In those cases, the market doesn't work in favour of the locals, UNLESS you were lucky enough to be selling a family home where the proceeds go to the children. Then, you are very happy indeed.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:36 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yep (except for that little housing crash thing that dinged the market) and it keeps getting worse at an accelerated pace.
Home prices in my area on the gulf were under 20k back in 2010 thru 2013. Just to insure a bigger home on the gulf was over 18k a year. My area never came back like everywhere else.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:37 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why shouldn't it ? What do you think it should do ?

It is our fault. Instead of house hopping every few years we stuck it out too long. Then '09 hit and the house value plummeted. It took time for it to recover. Then we went from a starter home to a wealthy area to a house more than double the value, putting 15% down. Being we are both worker bee's, it takes time.

Because life is short/finite and unless you're paying all in cash (which could take even longer to save) you have to wait more years for the home to be financially yours. That's what makes it worse too. You work all this time, often neglecting other things that need to be done because you need to keep earning and saving.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find that most of the time, when someone complains about the housing market, and you ask them how much they have saved for a down payment, the answer is "nothing."
I mean if it was more probable to obtain the money.....

Old 01-28-2021, 04:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

[3] To be "outside" of municipal control only requires not giving consent to be governed. Check your own state constitution and statutes to verify that PRIVATE PROPERTY is protected. Then try and find one statute that imposes an ad valorem tax upon private property. (And, no, I am not referring to allodial title or land patents).
are you one of those sovereign citizen folks? If we're talking Texas, are you aware they have very unique real property laws?

Old 01-29-2021, 02:47 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The basic problem is this... housing prices have grown completely beyond even the highest level middle class to comfortably afford.

Sure there are some cheap houses in certain areas of the USA but with the exodus from higher living areas... there is great pressure on prices there as well.

IMHO it doesn't take a genius to see we will soon hit a point where you cannot reasonably purchase a home in the USA for anyone but the most rich.

At the same time, we cannot just unilaterally force people to sell at lower prices because they would lose money.

Is there anything that can be done to reset prices to reasonable levels without destroying the savings of most of he USA?
Yes let the free market dictate the price. That you actually believe housing will cost so much many can't afford it is silly. So the houses will sit vacant and the owner will not make any money? Or will the owner lower the rent or selling price and the owner will make money. See how that works?

Old 01-29-2021, 02:49 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That has always been the biggest obstacle to purchasing a home. The inability to come up with a sizeable down payment.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:15 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Trouble is, and Vancouverites lived this, is that there will always be buyers in housing markets that the world's wealthy are attracted to and will invest in.

In those cases, the market doesn't work in favour of the locals, UNLESS you were lucky enough to be selling a family home where the proceeds go to the children. Then, you are very happy indeed.
Then stop supporting Leftist politicians that are owned by CHINA and Chinese money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies