Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's always the people who swear they love the economy who come up with ideas to kill it.

The majority of Americans are not coming up with 20% downpayment without sacrificing every bit of disposable income they earn for 10+ years.

But I bet you also want them to do that while also saving for retirement, right? Make that 15+ years.

So 10-20% of Americans switch from being consumers who fuel everything from car sales to travel industry to living as misers for a 10+ years...

Our economy is going to look great...
Their choice... Fuel the economy via excessive spending, thereby making others richer, ...or make their own financial well-being their priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 10:33 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nope, I don't tell anyone how they should live. The claim is most cannot save enough for a house. I demonstrated how one could.

Essentially you are saying that if one has disposable income of 100K in their youth they should spend it.

I am saying I think it is better to save it, buy a house, put it in a 401K. Then you will have 300K of disposable income later in life.

Either way the disposable income goes into the economy. If you are wise with money you will have MORE of it to put in the economy.

I'm not sure how you view that bad for the economy?

Anyway, there are a million choices to make. You just shouldn't complain that you can't spend all your disposable income AND buy a house, or fund your retirement.
You literally started off your post I replied to about what people should bring into a marriage for housing, so what followed is what you think everyone should be doing... prioritizing 20% down at the expense of everything else, which would come at the expense of the economy.

I've actually never stated what people should be doing with their money. I've just been pointing out how this obsession with saving 20% by any means is going to crater the economy.

And I'm pointing out to you that in a world where everyone saves 20% for their down payment vs a world where anyone can buy a home without 20% down, the economy of the people in the 2nd world is going to be much better. Like comparing the US economy to Spain's.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lol, read the link. Median family income is $86k.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEFAINUSA646N
Ohh... There's a reason no one uses median FAMILY income even trying to talk about the economy as whole. It's like using the mean average... it distorts the data. It's a crappy reflection outside of any conversation explicitly about family income.

Mean HOUSEHOLD income is what people are usually discussing when they're talking about the economy for most people. That's 69k.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Their choice... Fuel the economy via excessive spending, thereby making others richer, ...or make their own financial well-being their priority.
Or... Save what you can and use your earning history and potential to get a house for 1- 5% down. You take PMI hit until you get to 20% (even though that's another arbitrary number banks use to pad the income statement).

*Bang* now your don't crater the economy and you can still buy a home.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's not hard to understand, just hard to do. You're spoken as someone who has been a higher income individual for a while. You're out of touch with the masses
I came from a very low-income family. There's no mystery in what I did:

1) Never lived beyond my means out of some totally warped sense of "entitlement."

2) Saved as much as possible and never accrued massive debt other than mortgages, all of which were paid off (so now I have no mortgage debt at all).

Old 01-30-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Or... Save what you can and use your earning history and potential to get a house for 1- 5% down. You take PMI hit until you get to 20% (even though that's another arbitrary number banks use to pad the income statement).

*Bang* now your don't crater the economy and you can still buy a home.
I've never paid PMI. Always had at least 20% down. You get a better interest rate by doing so, as well. And I parlayed each home into a bigger and better purchase. Made the gains actually work in my favor.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I've never paid PMI. Always had at least 20% down. You get a better interest rate by doing so, as well. And I parlayed each home into a bigger and better purchase. Made the gains actually work in my favor.
And that's you. If someone is willing to eat the PMI so they can get into home ownership sooner, that's not your business. And if they can do that, then your should be happy bc the sooner someone gets to home ownership, they sooner they can start building their own personal net worth.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:02 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
You literally started off your post I replied to about what people should bring into a marriage for housing, so what followed is what you think everyone should be doing... prioritizing 20% down at the expense of everything else, which would come at the expense of the economy.

I've actually never stated what people should be doing with their money. I've just been pointing out how this obsession with saving 20% by any means is going to crater the economy.

And I'm pointing out to you that in a world where everyone saves 20% for their down payment vs a world where anyone can buy a home without 20% down, the economy of the people in the 2nd world is going to be much better. Like comparing the US economy to Spain's.
I said everyone should have at least 7,500 in savings when getting married. I stand by that, whether for emergencies or to buy a house.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-30-2021, 11:04 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
We had to get PMI, not ideal but the market was going to go up dramatically. I paid extra, and kept track of the market, and as soon as the appraised value hit the 20% mark I was on the phone with the bank, I think it took us 2 years to get it removed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-30-2021, 11:06 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
I came from a very low-income family. There's no mystery in what I did:

1) Never lived beyond my means out of some totally warped sense of "entitlement."

2) Saved as much as possible and never accrued massive debt other than mortgages, all of which were paid off (so now I have no mortgage debt at all).
I came from a two-income household. Mom worked for railroad, dad worked for a company making average pay driving forklift.

They never divorced, they allowed me to live there and save up.

Heck I was at like $9/hr back around 20 years ago when I saved up $20K in really only a couple years.

These liberals are unbelievable. Their thinking is so distorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies