U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-01-2021, 03:26 AM
 
8,031 posts, read 7,266,202 times
Reputation: 5492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The city is trending to a white majority in the near future. What you are saying doesn't make any sense. Atlanta will have a white majority if Buckhead remains part of the city. A Buckhead city hood will have a white majority if they split away. Anyone from outside of the city who is trying to inject race into this doesn't have a clue what has been happening in the city of Atlanta the last 15 years. It doesn't make any sense. You get the same result either way. The only way for Atlanta to have a black majority is for Buckhead to form it's own city. Anyone trying to push race into this doesn't know what is actually happening in Atlanta. You are ignoring what is inevitable.
I’m not ignoring anything.

The outside factions that are going to publicize the racial element of the Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood issue (including the national and international media factions, as well as national Democratic and progressive donors) don’t care one iota about what may or may not have been happening in the City of Atlanta over the last 15 years.

And even with the public safety issues that have affected the entire City of Atlanta proper (including the Buckhead district) since the start of the pandemic, not to mention the public safety issues that have affected urban areas all over the country since March 2020, not too many outside and national onlookers likely will be sympathizing with the public safety plight of wealthy residents in an affluent upscale like Buckhead when the rest of the city and the country is experiencing public safety issues as well.

The outside factions that are going to publicize the racial element of the Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood issue are going to do so because the racial element is there to be played.

Local Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood backers are going to play on the crime issue to attempt to push through their long-held agenda of de-annexating Buckhead from Atlanta proper and incorporating Buckhead into a municipality, while national progressive and Democratic groups are going to play on the racial angle of the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue because the racial element is there to be played and will help them energize Democratic and progressive factions and raise tons of money.

That is particularly if this Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue blows up into a national story during a major election year (gubernatorial/state legislative and congressional midterm elections) in 2022 as looks like might be the case with the Buckhead cityhood legislation that was filed at the very end of the 2021 Georgia General Assembly legislative session.

With the state of Georgia already at the center of a major national controversy in the aftermath of the controversial voting reform bill passed, and with Georgia having transitioned from a Republican-dominated ‘red state’ to a hotly competitive purple/blue-trending leading battleground state on the strength of metro Atlanta’s explosive growth and rapidly changing demographics, the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue will play directly into the hands of the progressive groups aiming to push Georgia from being a reliably Republican-voting state to being a reliably Democratic-voting state in national elections.

Left-leaning groups are going to play up the racial angle of the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue because it’s a political no-brainer.

It would be political malpractice for left-leaning political groups and factions not to play up the obvious narrative of an affluent (wealthy) white enclave (Buckhead) breaking away from a less-affluent (largely poor) majority-black major American city (Atlanta) in a Southern battleground/swing state (Georgia) with an extensive past history of government-sanctioned discrimination against blacks in a very pivotal national midterm election year.

Georgia is now not just a battleground/swing state, but by almost all appearances is now THE LEADING battleground/swing state where party control of the U.S. Senate is very likely going to be at stake in the Raphael Warnock senate race. Not to mention the potential of the Georgia Governor’s race to be a nail-biter with future/long-term national political implications as well.

If the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood moves forward next year, it is going to become a major national media story because the racial element of the story will generate media views and clicks and will help energize national political donors and voters in a state of Georgia that is now the nation’s leading battleground state and that looks to be transitioning from ‘leans-Republican’ to ‘toss-up’ and possibly to ‘leans-Democratic’ and even potentially to ‘likely-Democratic’ in the not-too-distant future.

After winning the presidential race and two U.S. Senate runoff races in the 2020 election cycle in Georgia, Democratic and progressive groups smell the political blood in the water and are going to use the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue to their political advantage to relentlessly raise money and energize voters to attempt to hold the Warnock U.S. Senate seat, attempt to hold the recently gained Georgia 6th and 7th Congressional districts (if possible), attempt to flip the Georgia Governor’s Mansion, and attempt to gain more state legislative seats during the 2022 election cycle.

The outside factions that are going to publicize the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue into a major national story for financial and political gain don’t really care one iota about the outcome of any possible de-annexation/cityhood vote in Buckhead.

They only care that this is an issue that could help them generate media revenue, raise massive political donations and energize voters to help turn Georgia into a blue state.

The Atlanta business community knows that (in addition to the government financial implications) the racial angle of the national media coverage and racial optics of the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue will be damaging to the city’s and state’s business prospects.

Which is why the Atlanta business community more than likely will pressure Georgia House Speaker David Ralston to stop the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood bill from coming to a full vote on the floor of the Georgia House, if he can (he possibly might not be able to stop it).
Rate this post positively

 
Old 05-01-2021, 06:10 AM
 
1,881 posts, read 806,704 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I’m not ignoring anything.

The outside factions that are going to publicize the racial element of the Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood issue (including the national and international media factions, as well as national Democratic and progressive donors) don’t care one iota about what may or may not have been happening in the City of Atlanta over the last 15 years.

And even with the public safety issues that have affected the entire City of Atlanta proper (including the Buckhead district) since the start of the pandemic, not to mention the public safety issues that have affected urban areas all over the country since March 2020, not too many outside and national onlookers likely will be sympathizing with the public safety plight of wealthy residents in an affluent upscale like Buckhead when the rest of the city and the country is experiencing public safety issues as well.

The outside factions that are going to publicize the racial element of the Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood issue are going to do so because the racial element is there to be played.

Local Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood backers are going to play on the crime issue to attempt to push through their long-held agenda of de-annexating Buckhead from Atlanta proper and incorporating Buckhead into a municipality, while national progressive and Democratic groups are going to play on the racial angle of the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue because the racial element is there to be played and will help them energize Democratic and progressive factions and raise tons of money.

That is particularly if this Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue blows up into a national story during a major election year (gubernatorial/state legislative and congressional midterm elections) in 2022 as looks like might be the case with the Buckhead cityhood legislation that was filed at the very end of the 2021 Georgia General Assembly legislative session.

With the state of Georgia already at the center of a major national controversy in the aftermath of the controversial voting reform bill passed, and with Georgia having transitioned from a Republican-dominated ‘red state’ to a hotly competitive purple/blue-trending leading battleground state on the strength of metro Atlanta’s explosive growth and rapidly changing demographics, the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue will play directly into the hands of the progressive groups aiming to push Georgia from being a reliably Republican-voting state to being a reliably Democratic-voting state in national elections.

Left-leaning groups are going to play up the racial angle of the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue because it’s a political no-brainer.

It would be political malpractice for left-leaning political groups and factions not to play up the obvious narrative of an affluent (wealthy) white enclave (Buckhead) breaking away from a less-affluent (largely poor) majority-black major American city (Atlanta) in a Southern battleground/swing state (Georgia) with an extensive past history of government-sanctioned discrimination against blacks in a very pivotal national midterm election year.

Georgia is now not just a battleground/swing state, but by almost all appearances is now THE LEADING battleground/swing state where party control of the U.S. Senate is very likely going to be at stake in the Raphael Warnock senate race. Not to mention the potential of the Georgia Governor’s race to be a nail-biter with future/long-term national political implications as well.

If the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood moves forward next year, it is going to become a major national media story because the racial element of the story will generate media views and clicks and will help energize national political donors and voters in a state of Georgia that is now the nation’s leading battleground state and that looks to be transitioning from ‘leans-Republican’ to ‘toss-up’ and possibly to ‘leans-Democratic’ and even potentially to ‘likely-Democratic’ in the not-too-distant future.

After winning the presidential race and two U.S. Senate runoff races in the 2020 election cycle in Georgia, Democratic and progressive groups smell the political blood in the water and are going to use the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue to their political advantage to relentlessly raise money and energize voters to attempt to hold the Warnock U.S. Senate seat, attempt to hold the recently gained Georgia 6th and 7th Congressional districts (if possible), attempt to flip the Georgia Governor’s Mansion, and attempt to gain more state legislative seats during the 2022 election cycle.

The outside factions that are going to publicize the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue into a major national story for financial and political gain don’t really care one iota about the outcome of any possible de-annexation/cityhood vote in Buckhead.

They only care that this is an issue that could help them generate media revenue, raise massive political donations and energize voters to help turn Georgia into a blue state.

The Atlanta business community knows that (in addition to the government financial implications) the racial angle of the national media coverage and racial optics of the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue will be damaging to the city’s and state’s business prospects.

Which is why the Atlanta business community more than likely will pressure Georgia House Speaker David Ralston to stop the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood bill from coming to a full vote on the floor of the Georgia House, if he can (he possibly might not be able to stop it).
The racial element isn’t there to be played. Atlanta is going to be a majority white city in the near future with current trends. Anyone playing the race card doesn’t know what is actually going on. What you are posting about doesn’t even exist. Anyone pushing this racial agenda is ignoring the inevitable for the city of Atlanta’s demographics. Senate seats, congressional seats, or a Democratic Governor isn’t going to stop the shifting demographics in the city. None of that matters. You are posting about irrelevant things regarding this issue to try and inject race. It’s inevitable the city will be majority white in the future so the media trying to pin this as a race issue makes zero sense. None. You are way overthinking this. Looking at the statistics will make whatever ‘outside factions’ are saying irrelevant and false. It’s a made up narrative that isn’t based in any reality. It can be countered in two seconds by looking at the actual demographic shift. The premise that ‘outside factions’ would be pushing isn’t supported by the actual facts and is easily shutdown by two seconds of research.

Last edited by ronricks; 05-01-2021 at 06:32 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 02:44 AM
 
8,031 posts, read 7,266,202 times
Reputation: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The racial element isn’t there to be played. Atlanta is going to be a majority white city in the near future with current trends. Anyone playing the race card doesn’t know what is actually going on. What you are posting about doesn’t even exist. Anyone pushing this racial agenda is ignoring the inevitable for the city of Atlanta’s demographics. Senate seats, congressional seats, or a Democratic Governor isn’t going to stop the shifting demographics in the city. None of that matters. You are posting about irrelevant things regarding this issue to try and inject race. It’s inevitable the city will be majority white in the future so the media trying to pin this as a race issue makes zero sense. None. You are way overthinking this. Looking at the statistics will make whatever ‘outside factions’ are saying irrelevant and false. It’s a made up narrative that isn’t based in any reality. It can be countered in two seconds by looking at the actual demographic shift. The premise that ‘outside factions’ would be pushing isn’t supported by the actual facts and is easily shutdown by two seconds of research.
You appear to have tunnel vision on the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue and seem to be in serious denial about some of the major (if not massive, but not necessarily completely insurmountable) obstacles that very likely will stand in the way of Buckhead cityhood successfully coming to fruition.

Though the non-Hispanic whites made up 38.3% of Atlanta proper’s population as of 2019 (Blacks made up 51% of Atlanta proper’s population and racial and ethnic minorities as a whole made up just under 62% of Atlanta proper’s population in 2019), with Buckhead as (a key) part of the demographic equation, Atlanta proper does appear to have a legitimate shot at at least becoming a plurality-white and maybe potentially even majority-white jurisdiction in the not too terribly distant future.

But the undeniable fact remains that what is left of Atlanta proper will be a decidedly (less-affluent) majority-Black and minority jurisdiction if the (decidedly) majority-White and affluent Buckhead district de-annexes from Atlanta proper and becomes its own municipality.

The racial element of majority-white/affluent Buckhead breaking away from the majority-Black/minority/less-affluent remainder of Atlanta proper will most assuredly be picked up on by the national/international media and national progressive/Democratic groups and will become a huge national story, particularly during what has the potential to be an epic midterm election year in 2022 if the Georgia Legislature allows the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue to move forward in 2022 as some key parts of the legislature currently appear to be signaling that they would like to allow.

Once the media really gets a hold of this issue and the racial and class optics become a major national story, it very likely may affect the outcome of the vote on Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood, because of the negative national perception of an affluent/white-dominated major business district (Buckhead) attempting to breakaway from a less-affluent Black/minority-dominated major American city in Atlanta proper.

And that’s IF the issue gets out of the Georgia Legislature, where Georgia House Speaker David Ralston is likely to face intense pressure from the Atlanta and Georgia major corporate business community to find some way to keep the issue from coming to a full vote in the legislature where many (if not most) members of the Republican legislative majority currently appear to be supportive of the issue.

The outside optics of the issue indeed DO matter because the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue is not taking place in a vacuum, or in a small jurisdiction in a remote, isolated part of the country with no media presence and no media coverage.

Like I alluded to before, the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue is taking place in a high-profile major metropolitan business district in a major American city/metro of international importance and influence and Top-10 media market in the 8th-most populous state and the leading battleground state in national elections.

You can deny it all you want, but there is no way that the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue will not become a major national story that may be likely to affect the outcome any possible Buckhead cityhood referendum.

Another thing that may be very likely to affect the outcome of voter support for the issue is the likelihood that the courts are very likely to rule that a future City of Buckhead is likely to have to take on nearly half of the current municipal debts of the City of Atlanta, as was the case when the affluent South metro Atlanta suburban enclave of Eagle’s Landing attempted to breakaway from the City of Stockbridge back in 2018.

As I mentioned before, the racial optics of the largely-white/affluent Eagle’s Landing enclave pushing to breakaway from the majority-Black/minority/working-class City of Stockbridge became a national story that brought unwanted attention to the residents of Eagle’s Landing, who thought that they might would be able to better pursue greater economic development opportunities as a separate municipality than as being part of Stockbridge proper.

But the thing that really seemed to turn-off many Eagle’s Landing residents to the idea of de-annexation and cityhood for Eagle’s Landing wasn’t necessarily just the negative national perception of a largely-white affluent enclave attempting to breakaway from a majority-black/minority/working-class city in a Deep South state with a past history of racial discrimination.

The thing that really seemed to turn-off many Eagle’s Landing residents to the idea of de-annexation and cityhood for Eagle’s Landing was the federal court ruling that a proposed new City of Eagle’s Landing would be responsible for a very large portion of the municipal debts of the City of Stockbridge that the proposed City of Eagle’s Landing was attempting to breakaway from.

The prospects of starting off with a mountain of the City of Atlanta’s municipal debt may be likely to cool the heels of many Buckhead cityhood supporters really quickly.

Quote:
ATLANTA — The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, handed Eagles Landing supporters a win on Friday, declining to halt a referendum into cityhood.

The court however, ruled that the city, should it be approved by voters in November, would still have to take on a share of the debt taken on by the city of Stockbridge, debt that was taken on to construct projects such as Stockbridge’s new city hall.

Language in Senate Bill 263, the bill passed that allowed for the Eagles Landing referendum, stated that the city would be proportionally responsible for any intergovernmental agreements in place within that city’s corporate boundaries before the city was incorporated.
Eagles Landing to take part of Stockbridge’s debt if approved (Henry Herald, 22 Oct 2018)

The Georgia Legislature and then Governor Deal’s approval of the (ultimately unsuccessful) Eagle’s Landing de-annexation and cityhood referendum also threatened the state’s Triple-A bond rating because of concerns from international investors over how the reportedly apparently unprecedented Eagle’s Landing’s potential de-annexation from Stockbridge would affect the standing and future payment of Stockbridge’s pre-existing municipal debts.

The significant concerns over the affects on Georgia’s Triple-A bond rating and significant investor concerns over how Buckhead de-annexation would affect the status and repayment of the City of Atlanta’s existing and future municipal debts and finances would yet another very major hurdle for Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood to have to clear.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
8,027 posts, read 5,042,868 times
Reputation: 7330
^Absolutely excellent post, B2R! I would rep you if I could.

And tunnel vision is the operative word.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 11:30 AM
 
30,838 posts, read 29,716,625 times
Reputation: 11756
B2R makes some very good points. If Buckhead does try to de-annex itself from Atlanta, there's no way the story would not make national news. Similar areas in other cities might try to do the same thing. That would no doubt bring major public scrutiny to the issue. And it could certainly affect bond ratings for the COA and any new city formed by Buckhead.

What's a shame about this is that it could all have been avoided by dealing with the crime issues. Any mayor needs to have that at the top of their priorities.

And it goes without saying that this could also be solved if people would simply quit shooting, robbing and otherwise carrying on in Buckhead. Just enjoy the city without running wild and creating danger to citizens and their families and property.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 11:36 AM
 
58 posts, read 19,880 times
Reputation: 202
The Mexican Standoff going on is a little funny to someone who doesn't particularly care, to be honest.


Buckhead's gun: tax revenue


Atlanta's gun: you're going to be nationally branded as Klan members for the rest of time



Have to imagine that nothing much ends up happening. I'm guessing Atlanta will authorize, in some manner, Buckhead to get a lot more aggressive with their policing and it'll go away.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 12:38 PM
 
115 posts, read 70,601 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
Atlanta's gun: you're going to be nationally branded as Klan members for the rest of time
It's insane that being anti-crime is now considered racist.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 01:38 PM
 
1,881 posts, read 806,704 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
B2R makes some very good points. If Buckhead does try to de-annex itself from Atlanta, there's no way the story would not make national news. Similar areas in other cities might try to do the same thing. That would no doubt bring major public scrutiny to the issue. And it could certainly affect bond ratings for the COA and any new city formed by Buckhead.

What's a shame about this is that it could all have been avoided by dealing with the crime issues. Any mayor needs to have that at the top of their priorities.

And it goes without saying that this could also be solved if people would simply quit shooting, robbing and otherwise carrying on in Buckhead. Just enjoy the city without running wild and creating danger to citizens and their families and property.
Nobody is saying it won’t make the National news. What I am saying is their premise would be false therefore easily shot down by anyone that lives here that knows the actual statistics and demographic shift and what those statistics show us is inevitable. The media perpetuating a narrative doesn’t make it true. To borrow from another poster on here this isn’t 1985 Atlanta anymore. It’s 2021 and things have rapidly changed the last two decades in the city proper. Also, what happened in Henry County has no bearing on what might happen in Atlanta. I am not for or against Buckhead city hood. There is a process in place and it will either fail or succeed. Outside media trying to inject a racial angle isn’t supported by any statistics or trends we have and is ignoring the inevitable. It wouldn’t resonate with anyone who takes the time to look into it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 02:22 PM
 
249 posts, read 326,484 times
Reputation: 679
No matter what happens, I bet Buckhead residents will continue to say they're from Atlanta and continue to use it on their mail. Everyone wants the cachet of Atlanta without putting in the work.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-02-2021, 02:47 PM
 
115 posts, read 70,601 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Everyone wants the cachet of Atlanta without putting in the work.
What "cachet" and "work" are you talking about?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top