Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 06:44 AM

1,711 posts, read 809,130 times

Advertisements

I liked Trump but didn't like the name calling. I find it immature and stupid.

Can we please hold back our non funny, non creative nicknames and civilly and maturely discuss the issues we are having?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
TOTALLY agree. It really, really gets old.

I didn't like Trump, and didn't like the name calling on either side. Very lowest level of discussion.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:12 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
After 4 years of the most spiteful vindictive nasty name calling, "china joe" sounds like a kind and mature descriptive in comparison.

Last edited by saltine; 01-25-2021 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 07:21 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I liked Trump but didn't like the name calling. I find it immature and stupid.

Can we please hold back our non funny, non creative nicknames and civilly and maturely discuss the issues we are having?
Democrats have been calling those that disagree with them racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, etc., since the Clinton administration. We can now add white supremacists, Russian agents, deplorables, and fascists to their handy dandy notebook of childish names.

Name-calling did not begin with Trump and it will not cease with Trump's departure.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Democrats have been calling those that disagree with them racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, etc., since the Clinton administration. We can now add white supremacists, Russian agents, deplorables, and fascists to their handy dandy notebook of childish names.

Name-calling did not begin with Trump and it will not cease with Trump's departure.
It's one thing to characterize someone with a term; and merely NOTICING people who can legitimately be described those terms, should be acceptable. That's not really name calling, but rather, describing. The list you wrote, besides the term "deplorables" are simply descriptive words that are either correct, or incorrect, depending on who's being named.

If someone is wearing a nazi symbol, it's acceptable to call them a nazi. A klan member, you can call them a racist. And like that.

It's when people twist someone's name into a recognizable but incorrect spelling, as a slur, that it just gets stupid. But no one on a discussion board should have to refrain from calling someone a nazi who is wearing a 6MWE sweatshirt.

And BTW, if we're going to name who started twisting someone's name into an unflattering slur, you have to give Rush Limbaugh the credit. A master. A true artist, working in his medium. And then Trump picked up that ugly tactic, by coming up with unflattering slurs for all his opponents, including ones in his own party. So. Despite what our third grade teachers told us all, it DOES matter who started it.

But enough. Finish it.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:29 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
Well, I see it only took 5 posts before the thread got partisan and political, as usual. I think the OP has a good point - we've been shown by leadership that it's ok to call people names. So we follow along like sheep, especially when we're all anonymous here on a forum.

I guess it's better than armed combat.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:37 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's one thing to characterize someone with a term; and merely NOTICING people who can legitimately be described those terms, should be acceptable. That's not really name calling, but rather, describing. The list you wrote, besides the term "deplorables" are simply descriptive words that are either correct, or incorrect, depending on who's being named.

If someone is wearing a nazi symbol, it's acceptable to call them a nazi. A klan member, you can call them a racist. And like that.

It's when people twist someone's name into a recognizable but incorrect spelling, as a slur, that it just gets stupid. But no one on a discussion board should have to refrain from calling someone a nazi who is wearing a 6MWE sweatshirt.

And BTW, if we're going to name who started twisting someone's name into an unflattering slur, you have to give Rush Limbaugh the credit. A master. A true artist, working in his medium. And then Trump picked up that ugly tactic, by coming up with unflattering slurs for all his opponents, including ones in his own party. So. Despite what our third grade teachers told us all, it DOES matter who started it.

But enough. Finish it.
And yet.........people who weren't wearing nazi symbols, people who weren't klan members were liberally called "nazis" and similar epithets. We have the receipts.

The epithets were tossed around with reckless abandon, knowing that in this day and age such terms could wreak havoc on its recipients lives and even physical safety.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:37 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Good luck telling that to liberals. "Trumpers, tumpsters, and trumpkins" is their go-to insult.
I use “Trumpers” as shorthand for “a supporter of former President Trump.” I don’t mean it as anything more than that. My insults that usually follow have to do with these people’s racism, xenophobia, hypocrisy, lack of economic understanding, and various other items.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Good luck telling that to liberals. "Trumpers, tumpsters, and trumpkins" is their go-to insult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I use “Trumpers” as shorthand for “a supporter of former President Trump.” I don’t mean it as anything more than that. My insults that usually follow have to do with these people’s racism, xenophobia, hypocrisy, lack of economic understanding, and various other items.
This.

What would Trump supporters prefer to be called?

I won't use Republicans or Conservatives out of respect for my friends and family who actually are those things and are horrified by Trump. "Trumpers" are those who support the man over everything.

And no, "patriots" is not appropriate either.

I don't see what is insulting or demeaning about "Trumpers" as a descriptor.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:43 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
What is wrong with “Trump supporter”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies