Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:47 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I liked Trump but didn't like the name calling. I find it immature and stupid.

Can we please hold back our non funny, non creative nicknames and civilly and maturely discuss the issues we are having?
No !!!

Once you/anyone is deplorable there is no turning back !!!

Its a dirty business !!! Politics FROM THE START is fought in the mud !!!

Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's one thing to characterize someone with a term; and merely NOTICING people who can legitimately be described those terms, should be acceptable. That's not really name calling, but rather, describing. The list you wrote, besides the term "deplorables" are simply descriptive words that are either correct, or incorrect, depending on who's being named.

If someone is wearing a nazi symbol, it's acceptable to call them a nazi. A klan member, you can call them a racist. And like that.

It's when people twist someone's name into a recognizable but incorrect spelling, as a slur, that it just gets stupid. But no one on a discussion board should have to refrain from calling someone a nazi who is wearing a 6MWE sweatshirt.

And BTW, if we're going to name who started twisting someone's name into an unflattering slur, you have to give Rush Limbaugh the credit. A master. A true artist, working in his medium. And then Trump picked up that ugly tactic, by coming up with unflattering slurs for all his opponents, including ones in his own party. So. Despite what our third grade teachers told us all, it DOES matter who started it.

But enough. Finish it.
Simpleton response to excuse foolish behavior. Calling a racist a racist, ie., Joe Biden for his past words and actions, Robert Byrd for being a former KKK member, or Hillary Clinton for her "hot sawce in her purse" pandering... the term is a description.

But calling someone a racist because they are of the opinion Democrats continue to enslave Blacks through policies and exploitation or that law enforcement is a White supremacist organization because it enforces laws, well, that's not only foolish, it deludes the real meaning of words should be taken seriously. And for no other purpose than to win elections.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
What is wrong with “Trump supporter”?
Nothing- but online many things are shortened for convenience. What is wrong with Trumpers? It doesn't twist his name into anything offensive or childish...it's simply a shortened version of Trump supporters. That's all.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
And yet.........people who weren't wearing nazi symbols, people who weren't klan members were liberally called "nazis" and similar epithets. We have the receipts.

The epithets were tossed around with reckless abandon, knowing that in this day and age such terms could wreak havoc on its recipients lives and even physical safety.
If I see a crowd of cohesive people chanting together, and some are wearing nazi regalia, that's good enough for me.

I'm not sure what "receipts" you have, or what that means.

You are judged by the company you keep, and birds of a feather, flock together. The fact that openly nazi Trump supporters knew they'd be welcome in the crowd, and no one would call them out, is telling.

So yes. It's fair, if a crowd accepts people openly wearing Nazi regalia at a rally, it's fair to realize they're all at least tolerant, if not in lock step.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:53 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nothing- but online many things are shortened for convenience. What is wrong with Trumpers? It doesn't twist his name into anything offensive or childish...it's simply a shortened version of Trump supporters. That's all.
It’s become an offensive slur most often followed by denigrating comments about 74 million Americans. It’s not an appropriate title because it’s been made inappropriate by those using it.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If I see a crowd of cohesive people chanting together, and some are wearing nazi regalia, that's good enough for me.

I'm not sure what "receipts" you have, or what that means.

You are judged by the company you keep, and birds of a feather, flock together. The fact that openly nazi Trump supporters knew they'd be welcome in the crowd, and no one would call them out, is telling.

So yes. It's fair, if a crowd accepts people openly wearing Nazi regalia at a rally, it's fair to realize they're all at least tolerant, if not in lock step.
This is as sophisticated in thinking as calling every person at a Democrat rally “Antifa” due to the presence of some people dressed in black, wearing helmets and throwing projectiles at everyone. Do better, Clara.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
It’s become an offensive slur most often followed by denigrating comments about 74 million Americans. It’s not an appropriate title because it’s been made inappropriate by those using it.
And if people post the same opinions/comments while using "Trump supporter" instead, will THAT descriptor then become offensive as well?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And if people post the same opinions/comments while using "Trump supporter" instead, will THAT descriptor then become offensive as well?
I can’t help you from borrowing trouble. Call people whatever you want. Prepare for the potential of people looking down on you. It’s your call.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:59 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
I am attempting to distinguish between Republicans and fervent Trump supporters. That’s not 74M.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
When the criticism is directed equally to both sides, maybe it will be meaningful. When it is only addressed to one side I will continue to ignore it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies