Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 07:07 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No one would say progressives "don't have sympathy for the little guy". Exactly the opposite. Progressives have sympathy for those who are the "have nots", and a desire to help the strugglers.

And that has nothing to do with agreeing to host hateful and divisive messages, and messages that seek to over throw the government, or create racist content, on Big Tech's free communication forums free of charge.
The points you raise have do not address my question.

Do you believe the tech companies should have more political prerogatives than tradesmen because they are richer and less dependent on their customers?

If you do, how does that square with your ideals of leveling the playing field, or having sympathy for those at the mercy of those who are wealthier whom they have to serve, despite not liking them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 07:13 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yep. My extended family was largely "blue collar" trades workers (pipe fitters, carpenters, plumbers, masons, millwrights, machinists, mechanics, etc) and at one time were old-school or "blue dog" democrats. They had this philosophy that the democrat party was "for the working man." While that may have been the case at one time, it certainly isn't now. Not a one of them who is still alive, that I know about, is still a democrat. In fact, they are quite bitter about what has become of the communist... er, uh, democrat party.

I've been in blue collar skilled trades all my life.

Yes, I worked my way up from apprenticeship level into a technical management position.

The proverbial "bootstrap" career ladder.

And yes, I used to be a Democrat.

But like Ronald Reagan said........

"I didn't leave the Democrat party......they left me".

Old 01-27-2021, 07:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The points you raise have do not address my question.

Do you believe the tech companies should have more political prerogatives than tradesmen because they are richer and less dependent on their customers?

If you do, how does that square with your ideals of leveling the playing field, or having sympathy for those at the mercy of those who are wealthier whom they have to serve, despite not liking them?
I keep addressing your question.

Facebook users, and twitter users, aren't paying customers. They're freeloaders. They expect the service of the tech companies, without paying a penny for it. So facebook and twitter are free to remove them from the service they receive free, from Twitter and Facebook.

Tradesmen make their living serving customers. Tradesmen are paid by their customers , where the tech companies are not. Tradesmen are hired, and paid, to come out and do a job. So it would not be in their best interest, to ask paying customers what their political affiliation is.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:16 PM

39,872 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I know a whole bunch around my area that are pizzed off enough with the political situation to not be opposed to doing just that. I suppose they might have just as much interest in doing that as the jackasses that run social media have in cancelling them. What's good for the goose...
In my area, builders and contractors are loaded with work, more than they can handle. Would be great to see them turning away work from Biden supporters-you know, just like the tech giants are turning away business from people with a brain. I can do without twitter a whole lot easier than some left-wing clown that can barely change a lightbulb can do without a mechanic or plumber.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I keep addressing your question.

Facebook users, and twitter users, aren't paying customers. They're freeloaders. They expect the service of the tech companies, without paying a penny for it. So facebook and twitter are free to remove them from the service they receive free, from Twitter and Facebook.

Tradesmen make their living serving customers. Tradesmen are paid by their customers. , where the tech companies are not.
My question is normative. Your answer is descriptive.

You're ducking the question by refusing to weigh in on the normative aspect.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:17 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Just to entertain the question, if a tradesperson tried to get into a political debate with me, I wouldn't trust their professionalism to do a job that I hired them to do.

I'm not sure why they would even be having this type of discussion with a customer. I don't discuss political matters with people who have done work for me. It seems really odd that this would even come up.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
My question is normative. Your answer is descriptive.

You're ducking the question by refusing to weigh in on the normative aspect.
I have NO idea what "my question is normative" even means.

Could you write your question, in the form of a question, one simple sentence?

Old 01-27-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I have NO idea what "my question is normative" even means.

Could you write your question, in the form of a question, one simple sentence?
I'll repeat myself then, with emphasis.

Note the emphasis. I am not asking if they do have more political prerogatives. I'm asking if they should have more political prerogatives.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:25 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
All plumbers and electricians are republican.? Who knew.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I'll repeat myself then, with emphasis.

Note the emphasis. I am not asking if they do have more political prerogatives. I'm asking if they should have more political prerogatives.
No.

I think tradesmen should have the ability to serve anyone they want, which is to say, anyone with money to pay for their services. Or, if they only want to serve political affiliates, that's their priority, too.

And tech companies also should be able to serve anyone they want, or don't want, and that means mostly customers who don't pay a penny for their services.

Clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies