Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 04:13 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Ace of Spades HQ

What if the trades began refusing business with people by requiring agreement with a "terms of service"? Anyone who posted support of rioters for example could be denied services. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else or start their own basement flooding company. They, like Big Tech, wouldn't have to be consistent, they could allow someone who cheered the Capitol riot to continue as a customer while denying one who supported firebombing federal offices.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are, that your thinking process is deeply muddled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 05:26 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Just to entertain the question, if a tradesperson tried to get into a political debate with me, I wouldn't trust their professionalism to do a job that I hired them to do.

I'm not sure why they would even be having this type of discussion with a customer. I don't discuss political matters with people who have done work for me. It seems really odd that this would even come up.
A discussion is usually not required to identify a "progressive". They ensure that is the case by signalling their virtue at every opportunity.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:13 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Quote:
Lately, the left has been quite open about their hate for the working class. What says "I despise you" more than burning down a small business?
I have always been "the working class".

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-28-2021, 06:24 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
What I'm reading in your post is the typical leftist personal attack, but I'm reading absolutely nothing in your post to back your argument up, or in this case, any argument at all. Simply calling someone daft is not a valid argument, contributes nothing, and posits nothing.
Wrong....I faulted the comment.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-28-2021, 06:37 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
So? Other men and women in the trades may feel differently than your dad. Someone might find a customer's support for terrorists like Antifa to be too much to stomach.

The point is, if Big Tech can deny service for political reasons, why not everyone else? What would happen?
Political affiliation, and political speech is not covered under anti discrimination laws in most states. It is perfectly legal for a contractor, a plumber, a mechanic, etc to refuse to do work for you based on your political stances. IT happens all the time.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:42 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Political affiliation, and political speech is not covered under anti discrimination laws in most states. It is perfectly legal for a contractor, a plumber, a mechanic, etc to refuse to do work for you based on your political stances. IT happens all the time.
If plumbers, electricians, etc. started refusing services to “woke” individuals, you can be sure Biden would be right on top of that executive order banning discrimination based on political speech. Since they are in power, they don’t give a flying flip. It’s part of that unity thing, we must all unify under their agenda.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:58 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
A discussion is usually not required to identify a "progressive". They ensure that is the case by signalling their virtue at every opportunity.
Oh, yeah? Do tell. I'm dying to know how "Good morning, I'd like to make an appointment to have my furnace cleaned" identifies anyone's political leanings.

And again, yet another post assuming that tradespeople are not "progressive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
If plumbers, electricians, etc. started refusing services to “woke” individuals, you can be sure Biden would be right on top of that executive order banning discrimination based on political speech.
That's not how it works.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
If plumbers, electricians, etc. started refusing services to “woke” individuals, you can be sure Biden would be right on top of that executive order banning discrimination based on political speech. Since they are in power, they don’t give a flying flip. It’s part of that unity thing, we must all unify under their agenda.
It was Republicans that fought to treat corporations as people with the same constitutional rights as people.
It was Republicans that fought to allow companies the right to discriminate based on their beliefs.

Republicans won those fights. Why so sad that those same corporations that the Republicans fought for are now using the rights that they were granted?

Just wait until the lack of net neutrality comes back to bite the hand that decided that ISPs can throttle websites if they so choose.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:15 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I keep addressing your question.

Facebook users, and twitter users, aren't paying customers. They're freeloaders. They expect the service of the tech companies, without paying a penny for it. So facebook and twitter are free to remove them from the service they receive free, from Twitter and Facebook.

Tradesmen make their living serving customers. Tradesmen are paid by their customers , where the tech companies are not. Tradesmen are hired, and paid, to come out and do a job. So it would not be in their best interest, to ask paying customers what their political affiliation is.

Facebook and Twitter make their money on advertising and data collection.

Who are they going to advertise to and collect data on without their users?

Old 01-28-2021, 07:20 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
But in the context of a tradesperson doing work for a customer, what difference does it make?

It seems like the tradesperson and the customer would be more concerned about each person showing up when they said they would, the work being done as agreed upon, being treated respectfully, having their home treated respectfully and not getting ripped off (a check from the customer not bouncing or the tradesperson charging more than they said they would).

Unless we're already close personal pals, if I were a customer and a tradesperson tried to quiz me on my political beliefs, I would find that odd and if I were the tradesperson and a customer did that, it would seem odd too. I have never run into that.

And I would think that big tech companies would feel the same way about their users .....

But I'd be wrong.

Apparently they don't give a wet slap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies