Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,021,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Most these days make a choice to have kids and with rugrats comes additional responsibility. I thought that parents already received more money in the last covid stimulus checks because of their kids?

Here is an idea for the Bank of Biden to consider. I think for every couple that decided not to have kids they should receive a special payment for not adding to the long term problem of the global warming crisis.
Not to mention the childless should also be getting a tax break equal to the cost of educating a child at a public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 08:57 AM

77,855 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If you are a mom not in the workforce there is no retirement plan for you. If you entered the workforce later, your SSI begins then, not before. Your compensation for retirement will average less than the man that has worked every day till the age 72 and did not take time off to be a dad.
Ok, on the other side of the equation the dad with higher wages in the above scenario (assuming not married) gets to pay child support while the mother also can get various assistance.

You can still enter the workforce when the kids get a little older and get most of your 35 years but yes, the wages will be lower.

It's all a trade-off and if the dad is not helping at all or in the picture then it really sucks, but there is substantial federal help already in those situations and again....it is a choice.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:58 AM

7,193 posts, read 3,404,240 times
Lots of women make child raising harder than it actually is. I was a stay at home mom and also worked full time at various points in m kids lives. Working and commuting to a full time job and dealing with toxic people all day does not compare to staying home with your kids. Staying at home and cooking and doing laundry and going to the park is a vacation.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:59 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,204,194 times
Get paid to go out and have sex and make babies with "bad boys" ... what an achievement. Hold all the men accountable who impregnate women and make them pay until the kid is 18. Simple. No hiding assets. No nonsense. Don't have sex if you don't want to get pregnant, don't get pregnant with men who are clearly of questionable fatherly character. We reward people for too much "fun" in society and discourage responsible behavior. For what it's worth I'd much rather be a stay at home father than work full time, but I don't expect to be paid by the government for doing it, either. I mean they qualify for so much aid as it is.. if they are in section 8 housing and have medicaid and food stamps they barely have to work to get by anyways. This society is really starting to sour on me. The entitlement mentality is too much for me to handle.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 11,994,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If you are a mom not in the workforce there is no retirement plan for you. If you entered the workforce later, your SSI begins then, not before. Your compensation for retirement will average less than the man that has worked every day till the age 72 and did not take time off to be a dad.
But you will be able to claim your husband's SS on his death, if you were married to him for 10 yrs or more. That is what my mother did.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:06 AM

1,503 posts, read 601,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yippee, another cause celebrities can use to make them feel proud of themselves.

I swear, the floodgates have opened the past week. Now everyone's sticking their hands out to get paid, paid, paid. What next.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ever...223856954.html
I suggest to tax members of that group for, say, extra 50% of their income for the next 10 years to see how they'd like it. Before implementing any policy on everybody it's a good idea to try it on a test group, right? Since they are so vocal, let them have what they advocate for. Ah, and yes, they should never get a cent from those taxes - they want to support others, right?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,480,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yippee, another cause celebrities can use to make them feel proud of themselves.

I swear, the floodgates have opened the past week. Now everyone's sticking their hands out to get paid, paid, paid. What next.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ever...223856954.html
Simple solution: don’t be a mom.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:29 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,021,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
I raised three kids as a single father and two more as a step-dad. Mine are all grown up and out of the house, but I adopted two shelter dogs. My choices have costs, the government needs to pay me for my choices. Can I get some money for unseen and unpaid labor too?
I agree I took on 6 feral cats at one point. Do I get payment for them?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:35 AM

77,855 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Minor history side-point here.

Back about 30 years ago there was a big public snit between Candace Bergin and her "Murphy Brown" TV character who decided to have a kid without a dad. Just sperm donor.

VP Quayle said it was a bad idea and got pilloried by feminists etc.

At the time there was a big push for the destigmatization of single moms so everything was being down to romanticize it and Quayle's comments were not acceptable to many.

<<<I personally know a few girls from my highschool that bought into this BS>>>

Flash forward 30 years and now it's OMG single motherhood is really tough. Um, duh.
(And I know what it's like to be a single parent)

I just find the whole cyclical nature of things to be sadly ironic at times.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:38 AM

36,029 posts, read 30,543,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I remember when I found out I was pregnant with my first, I just started a new job, my husband was working at a convenient store getting paid min.wage, and trying to start a business, it never crossed our minds that the taxpayers should pay us money. We did without any luxuries, babies don’t need all the fancy equipment except a car seat, crib, and high chair.
Right.
Parent is not a paying gig and why should we get paid by the tax payers to take care of our own children. My husband died when our kids were little, then I lost my job. I decided to go back to school and get my B.S. I still had to earn money as the 15K life insurance didnt go to far. I took 18 hours and worked two part time jobs raising 2 kids with help from my family. Yes I was exhausted, yes it was hard but it was my life and my choices and my responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies