Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 03:56 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
What about the Singapore Sling? Mongolian Barbeque? Peking duck? Pad Thai? Wiener Schnitzel? Black Forest Cake? Bialy? Danish pastry? Belgian waffle? and the ever popular French Fries!
It's all xenophobic. I call them Freedom Fries. I refrain from using the term Hamburger as well. It demeans the poor people from the city of Hamburg, I call them all Big Macs. Salisbury Steak is one of the most offensive terms I've yet seen, I just call it Sorry Excuse for a Steak.

By the way, I do think using the term China Virus is sophomoric. It was Trump's attempt to have the news media acknowledge the origin of the virus rather than the narrative that Trump was the sole cause for the spread of the virus. I have yet to see any proof that his goal was to demean Asian people. Talk about creating your own narrative and spreading misinformation.

In a 2019 poll, people from Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan had the most negative view of China. I guess they are all racist against Asians as well. Residents of Sweden, Canada, and France all had very negative views of China, more so than Americans. These are the same countries progressives in the U.S. love so much. I guess Sweden, Canada, and France are just full of xenophobic, racist progressives.

Here's a wild and wacky idea. Maybe it has nothing to do with Chinese people themselves and some people just don't like how Communist China treats other countries. I know, it's a crazy idea. It's much easier to believe that everyone is just racist and xenophobic, it's a much simpler explanation. Plus you get to call people names, who doesn't like that?

Once you call everything racist and xenophobic, it's like the boy that cried wolf, people just stop believing you. The COVID travel bans were called xenophobic and racist when Trump did them, but somehow when Biden does the same thing people say he's taking the virus "seriously".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 03:59 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wild guess, being antagonistic is like a sport for you. I'm going to be blunt. I don't get this kind of mentality. All I see is a petulant, angry, bigoted mentality. And being antagonistic for the fun of it. I really don't see any point in being that way.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Don't you get it? The President of the United States is telling people what they can and cannot say. That is outrageous and it deserves a reaction. Personally, I've never once called it the "China Virus" (too broad, but "Wuhan Virus" works) or the "Kung Flu" (too juvenile). But it makes me furious to be told that I "can't" say something.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:05 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Don't you get it? The President of the United States is telling people what they can and cannot say.
You don't get it. The President of the United States is telling the employees of his administration what they can and cannot write in official government documents.

No different from my boss telling me I can't call the clients of the nonprofit we work for "dropouts", or my newspaper publisher asking me not to use the word "cops" in a headline.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:06 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Freedom of speech is not limited by some people thinking that other people might be jerks.
No it's not. But that's not the point I'm trying to drive home. My point is this. Many people claim their freedom of speech is being taken from them. I look at it from what's actually happening. Here is the thing. I can call it "China virus" or "Kung flu" and not go to jail. I choose not to do that. We have a name for this disease, it's called Covid-19. We all know what it is. I can't think of any other reason to call it "China virus" or "Kung flu" other than to be hateful, childish, or to be jerk.

And that was my point. People are free to say what they think. But there is no reason to use terms like "China virus" or "Kung flu" other than to be a jerk. This isn't about "do you have a right to say that", because it's a moot point. It's a matter of "Should you say that?".

Old 01-27-2021, 04:10 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
WTF?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...m-china-virus/

INSANE: Joe Biden Signs Executive Order Banning the Term “China Virus”

...This was one of his 37 executive orders in six days....

Tweet
RΞ4L ✪
@P8R1OT
·
17h
A dictator signs 37 Executive Orders in 6 days.

Not a President.

The Gateway Pundit?!

Old 01-27-2021, 04:12 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Or maybe it's just that in a professional environment you are expected to act, well, professional.

It doesn't always have to be about your "feelings".
Here's the point lefties never get. WHO gets to decided WHAT is professional?

Old 01-27-2021, 04:13 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Streisand effect.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:15 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This. ^^^!

"China Virus" is not and was not EVER the name of this disease. It's trump's way of demeaning Asian people.

YOU can say it, but in so doing, you will sound ignorant. And potentially hurt people. Your choice.
Let's see. How many MILLIONS have died from this virus so far and you are worried about hurting people's feelwings? Omfg.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:19 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No, he didn't call it the Chinese Virus. He specifically said the China Virus to remind everyone of who is responsible for this disaster, the Chinese Communist Party
And the "Kung Flu"?

Trump's MO was always to rouse up his base. Dog whistle to the racists in his cult. He thought he was being funny, but he was just in poor taste and mean spirited. Trump liked hurting people.

So officially, you can say "Chyy-na Flu" or "Chinese Flu" or "Kung Flu" to your friends. This administration has decided not to use potentially offensive language and replace that with scientific language.

Sounds totally rational to me. No one is being hurt. Good.
And your collective liberty to sound racist and ill-informed remains intact.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And the "Kung Flu"?
"Kung Flu" is the name coined during the 1969 Pandemic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies