Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Maybe google free speech in America.
You still use Google? I've been using DuckDuckGo.com for several weeks now and it's miraculous how all of a sudden any political search now results in pages that google would never tell you exists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 11:54 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You didn't lose it. Now try and understand what it really means.

This is my opinion. And I state this as an opinion because I don't have much basis for this in terms of research and empirical data.

It's not about the civilian's ability to use the term "China virus". It's about the government stating "we in the federal sphere will not use that term". I think this angers some people because it's not enough to be free to say that term. Said persons want an administration to make if the official term. By rejecting the term "China virus" in official documents, it sends a message to some people. The message is "We don't represent those who use the term 'China virus' ". Some people feel triggered by the fact that members of the federal government (at least in this new administration) think and see things the way they do.

That's just my opinion, and I'm only one man. I don't state any of this as fact because I'm trying to keep this honest.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:55 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wild guess, being antagonistic is like a sport for you. I'm going to be blunt. I don't get this kind of mentality. All I see is a petulant, angry, bigoted mentality. And being antagonistic for the fun of it. I really don't see any point in being that way.
“Wild guess” — it might something to do with calling 74+ Million people Domestic Terrorists, Racists, Censoring & all the talk about Re-Education camps. Just a guess of course.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:58 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Probably can't use the words China and virus in the same sentence.
Speaking of the virus from China, when are they going to be held accountable ? China lied and people died.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
“Wild guess” — it might something to do with calling 74+ Million people Domestic Terrorists, Racists, Censoring & all the talk about Re-Education camps. Just a guess of course.
1) We don't have any re-education camps.
2) I don't know anyone who is referring to 74 million people "terrorists".
3) Using the term "China virus" isn't accomplishing anything.

Do you have any ideas that will actually be worthwhile, that you yourself can do??

Old 01-27-2021, 12:03 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyskies1999 View Post
This is insane because now this administration is banning words. Like in that book I read, 1984.

Did you read the link?

Old 01-27-2021, 12:05 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Triggered because I have concerns about freedom of speech? Not a thing.
Triggered again I see, tell me - how is this infringing on your free speech?

Old 01-27-2021, 12:09 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just use "flu", "influenza", "rubella", and "leprosy". And I know that Ebola is a river.

I really do not understand the point of calling Covid-19 "China virus" or "Kung flu" other than to be hateful and antagonistic. I really don't. All I tells me is about the individuals who use those terms.
A spade is a spade, and the Spanish flu was the Kansan flu.

I'm a spader.

I have a friend in Kansas, who was born and raised in Kansas, and believe you me, he's a Natural Born Kansan.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 01-27-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-27-2021, 12:15 PM

The older I get, the more I start to believe that this rage isn't really about freedom of speech. I've said what I thought and I've never been locked up or put in front of a judge. I've lost some "friends", but I've never felt like my freedom of speech has been threatened. I'm starting to consider that this more about the desire to be a jerk than about freedom of speech. I think some people are more triggered about other people not accepting jerk behavior. Everyone has the right to fly a Confederate flag from their house or their car. It's morally reprehensible, but you still have that right. You have the right to use the terms "Kung flu" or "China virus". You're not going to be arrested or put in front of a judge for doing so. I also have a right to tell you that doing so is morally reprehensible and speaks to a petulant, hateful way of being.

In my book, this is more about wanting others to tolerate jerk behavior than it is about freedom of speech.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:15 PM

574 posts, read 299,369 times
He's in bed with the Chinese when he's not sniffing little girls hair so why would he want to call the China Virus exactly what it is? He will never hold them accountable for the China Virus either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies