Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 09:40 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
By all means, vote with your wallet.
By all means, be this:

You, just like the media, have no idea what you're talking about.

You have no idea what is really going on. You think we're all buying this week and dumping tomorrow.

You, literally, have no idea what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 09:40 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
If some of the "reddit" folks make a decent bit of money and get investigated, they better hope they don't get nailed for "pump and dump".
Have you followed the subreddit or the discord? I’m curious if they said anything that would satisfy the elements of a pump and dump scheme.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:42 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Sigh. You're not listening, and no, tomorrow is NOT when we sell. This is a longer game, because that longer game is going to hurt. Not us. Them.
Hopefully you bought low. Sounds like a lot of someone else enjoying what used to be your bacon.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:44 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hopefully you bought low. Sounds like a lot of someone else enjoying what used to be your bacon.
And another one who isn't listening. You all think this is over tomorrow.

lol

Old 01-28-2021, 09:44 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
By buying a stock that hasn't made money in 3 years while losing close to half it's revenue...for $300 a share?

That doesn't sound like "winning" to me.
That's the beauty of what's being done here.

The short sellers have sold borrowed stocks. They will have no choice but to buy at the higher price because the true owners may want to sell.

So, in theory, the people buying this "worthless" stock are the people who were driving it in the ground to begin with. Which was the whole point of this exercise.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:54 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
That's the beauty of what's being done here.

The short sellers have sold borrowed stocks. They will have no choice but to buy at the higher price because the true owners may want to sell.

So, in theory, the people buying this "worthless" stock are the people who were driving it in the ground to begin with. Which was the whole point of this exercise.
Yes, that's what a short squeeze is. Melvin, the specific hedge fund targeted, has already done that. They covered on Tuesday. That necessity to cover is why short squeezes work so much better than a simple pump and dump. On the other hand, just like a pump and dump there is the dump that inevitably follows the pump.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:58 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Of course CNN would blame this on Trump.

https://bgr.com/2021/01/28/gamestop-...d-to-trumpism/

Old 01-28-2021, 10:05 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Although we disagree on most things, I do think this is an indication of good parenting: you and your spouse show enough trust in your child(ren) to allow them the freedom to learn about financial markets and invest at the age of 14.
In my culture, one's children's education is more important than anything else. I would spend every dime I own on it, if that were necessary. About a year ago, when he showed interest, I opened up a small account for him to trade. He's up 35%. But then, so is everybody else this year. I'm interested to see how he does in a down year.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:14 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No matter how many times the person you quoted posts it, and whether you and I stand to earn a living off investments when we retire, it doesn't change the simple fact: The vast majority of people earn the vast majority of their income off wages and salaries, not investments. Period. It's indisputable. This is the essence of where Wall St. health=health of the economy for most Americans is false.
Try to make that claim if/when public employee retirees and union members don't get their pensions because the market crashed.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Try to make that claim if/when public employee retirees and union members don't get their pensions because the market crashed.
Most people aren't on pensions.

You obviously will continue to make "gotcha" arguments on this subject regardless of the fact that not once in how many years you've been cutting and pasting "pensions are in the stock market!!" have you successfully refuted the fundamental point that I have made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies