Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 PM

17,606 posts, read 6,894,659 times

Advertisements

All the DNC shills are telling us that there weren’t lockdowns. Anyone living in the US for the past year knows they are lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 10:32 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Byzantine government overreach. I'm not a baby, I don't need a nanny.
I can assess my own risk profile.

Far too many small business owners I knew that were royally screwed in Michigan by government-forced shutdowns that decimated their businesses/companies.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:06 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post

Far too many small business owners I knew that were royally screwed in Michigan by government-forced shutdowns that decimated their businesses/companies.
Honestly, governors have no idea how to deal with a global health pandemic. They are doing the best they can because they haven't had any guidance from the federal government.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,003 times
It's not the economy. That lockdown had something to do with COVID-19. In turn they made it out to be the economy. I would say, yes. Lockdown because of COVID-19.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:41 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Technically no lockdowns. Even when there were 700+ people dying a day in NY, I was able to go to the park and take walks around the neighborhood. I could also drive anywhere I wanted.
This.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:18 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
In the literal sense of the word, no, but Michigan came pretty damn close back in the Spring. No mixing with anyone outside your household and literally everything except grocery stores, pharmacies and restaurant takeout closed. Even landscaping and lawn service companies were shut down for a period of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post

The people of Michigan attempted to act in April when they stormed their state capital. I thought they were ready to be American again but yet they went back to obeying. They were given permission to be a little bit free in the late summer and fall but they were again locked down in November.

I grew up in Michigan and still enjoy a yearly deer hunting trip there. I drove hundreds of miles across the state from south to its north and saw countless “my governor is an idiot signs”. I heard people spew hate against her that cannot be repeated in public. I thought these people would put up with no more. I was wrong. I was in Michigan when that woman told them to go back into lockdown and what I saw sickened me to the core. They all obeyed. The businesses all closed and everyone did as they were told. I thought these folks would March on the state capital and demand she step down. I thought they would defy her.

I lost all respect for Michigan. I packed up my stuff and went home to America. I came to the conclusion that the people up there do not deserve to be free. I feel sorry for the people I still have up there, they have to live with it. The best thing one could do if they live in a place like that at this point is to pack up and move. The place ain’t gonna change, they like being told what to do and they like being taken care of. Freedom is not what they want, they want daddy government to protect them and care for them. This attitude will not change when the rona is gone. Freedom can never survive when the people think like that.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:52 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Honestly, governors have no idea how to deal with a global health pandemic. They are doing the best they can because they haven't had any guidance from the federal government.
There is something magical about federal guidance that I don't know about. Why not blame the UN for their lack of guidance in a "global health pandemic"

Old 01-28-2021, 07:52 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Is that an excuse for all the destruction they caused?
Looks more like an argument for them to do nothing.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:20 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
well...for instance, here in Ohio, all "non-essential" businesses closed. you were supposed to stay home, unless it was "necessary," e.g., you need medicine, food, whatever.
many of you don't call it a "lockdown" because there were no legal teeth behind it - no jail time or bullet for violating it.
that's because many of you don't take "recommendations" seriously - I know many folks who treat those things the same AS a potential bullet, so, in their mind = lockdown.
i don't know (firsthand) if it was (much) worse in, say, Lombardi, but - those people did not go without heat, without electricity, without water, without television or radio news, without food, without hospitals - so pretty clearly, at least SOME employees were considered "essential" - so it's just a matter of degree.
As far as I know, China is the only place that had a real over-the-top "lockdown" - and of course, that is probably true, but it's not something that you can easily substantiate (i.e., quarantine by gunpower).

So - if you think Italy or Spain or France had a lockdown - then Ohio did too. If you think Ohio did not - then no one did.

But if you need "the force of law" to constitute a lockdown - then it will vary by the constitution of the nation in which you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies