Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long will "wokeism" be a thing?
It's already starting to die 25 20.16%
The next 5-10 years 27 21.77%
The next 10-20 years (a whole generation) 13 10.48%
It's here to stay, get used to hating George Washington 59 47.58%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 05:14 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,357,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't know where you're coming up with that prognosis because if they keep getting rid of oil burning devices like cars and boilers oil is going to be more like $2.50 instead of $250
That can't be done. Or at least it can't be done without crashing things in a way that would be equivalent to a $250 oil price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 05:18 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,699,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That can't be done. Or at least it can't be done without crashing things in a way that would be equivalent to a $250 oil price.
Again, what the hell are you talking about, the more you get rid of oil burning devices (like GM today said they will no long sell gasoline or diesel vehicles after 2025), the more the pirce of oil will crash

How are you not seeing that oil is only going to get cheaper?

Electricity on the other hand could skyrocket

Old 01-28-2021, 05:31 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,357,736 times
Quote:
Again, what the hell are you talking about, the more you get rid of oil burning devices (like GM today said they will no long sell gasoline or diesel vehicles after 2025), the more the pirce of oil will crash

How are you not seeing that oil is only going to get cheaper?
How did you manage to respond to a comment without reading it?

Old 01-28-2021, 05:51 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,518,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Whole lotta feelings being expressed here -- just saying.....
What is it that you think you are "just saying"?

Because everyone can see an absurd logical fallacy of false equivalence.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:12 PM
bu2

24,053 posts, read 14,851,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
God I hope soon.

Woke to me is like what being PC used to be, but on mega steroids. This woke crap has got to go. I wanna be sensitive to people's feelings and all, but what woke is is a way to simply break everyone down into checkboxes and also it's used as cudgels against people. It's also to me a pretext of breaking down individualism and a way to sneak in collectivism and that is a back door way to push us more into commieville.

It's got to go.
The good news is that people who are so miserable they are offended by everything don't have a life. That means they are unlikely to reproduce and pass their twisted mentality onto their offspring.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:15 PM
bu2

24,053 posts, read 14,851,817 times
Quote:
I don't know where you're coming up with that prognosis because if they keep getting rid of oil burning devices like cars and boilers oil is going to be more like $2.50 instead of $250
When Carter & Kennedy & Co. were attacking oil in the 70s there was a bumper sticker in Texas, "Let the D*** Yankee B******* freeze in the dark.

Those woke soy boys would be terrified of being cold in the dark. So at least the oil part of wokeness will face cold, dark reality.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:36 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,750,774 times
Woke is here to stay, unfortunately, not the term itself but the ideas and attitudes. It's just so entrenched in the centers of power that shape culture. There will continue to be pushback of course, but not nearly enough to reverse things. In 20 years there'll be a whole new radical agenda and most of what we think of as radical today will be mainstream.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:41 PM

35,564 posts, read 17,911,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
It seems that we are knee deep in a era where we are hyper on "race" and political correctness, erasing people who we've held as heroes for hundreds of years, trying to change our curriculum in school to say America started in 1619, extreme cancel culture, etc.

These issues seem to be hated by 70% of the population, yet they keep getting pushed at the highest levels, such as in Democrat-controlled areas in DC, in schools, and in the elite media and sports.

I see these things as having a short shelf life, but who knows? What do you think will happen to turn the tide on this insanity and how long do you think it will last?
Only in your own community are they hated by 70% of the population.

Biden won.

That should show you the balance of those who want to call Confederates heroes, and those who don't.

The pendulum swings. Your reign is over.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:55 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,398,643 times
Does anyone realize that nobody uses the term ‘woke’ anymore? The problem with poaching slang that you’re mostly unfamiliar with is that you’re always left unaware when the actual users move on from it.

Slang has a pretty short shelf life and the term ‘woke’ probably went mainstream after being mentioned in Childish Gambino’s track Redbone several years ago. But the reality in 2021 (and 2020 quite frankly) is that ‘woke’ was shelved years ago. Think about it, when was the last time you remember a commentator or pundit use it?

Whenever I see it being used now reminds me of a grandpa who lifts a few catchy terms after eavesdropping on his grandkids, then tests them out on bingo night.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:19 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,518,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
Does anyone realize that nobody uses the term ‘woke’ anymore? The problem with poaching slang that you’re mostly unfamiliar with is that you’re always left unaware when the actual users move on from it.

Slang has a pretty short shelf life and the term ‘woke’ probably went mainstream after being mentioned in Childish Gambino’s track Redbone several years ago. But the reality in 2021 (and 2020 quite frankly) is that ‘woke’ was shelved years ago. Think about it, when was the last time you remember a commentator or pundit use it?

Whenever I see it being used now reminds me of a grandpa who lifts a few catchy terms after eavesdropping on his grandkids, then tests them out on bingo night.
You're on fleek with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies