Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you have supported a significant increase in the gas tax a decade ago?
Absolutely! We could've built some great public transit by now. 11 57.89%
No way! I've enjoyed and benefited from cheaper gas over the past ten years. 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

The size of the United States limits how effective any mass transit would or could be.

While there may be mass transit in most major metropolitan areas, not everyone lives in those areas - so many small towns / townships
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The size of the United States limits how effective any mass transit would or could be.

While there may be mass transit in most major metropolitan areas, not everyone lives in those areas - so many small towns / townships
Sucks for those people. Just means they'll be making fewer trips or have to earn more money.

There are more rural and expansive areas in the world than the US (Russia, Brazil, Australia, etc) and they get by just fine on less consumption.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Sucks for those people. Just means they'll be making fewer trips or have to earn more money.

There are more rural and expansive areas in the world than the US (Russia, Brazil, Australia, etc) and they get by just fine on less consumption.
Agreed.

And just because one lives in a rural, small town doesn't mean that you have to design the town where it takes miles to reach anything. It may not be economical to build a subway there but trolleys, bike lanes, etc are great for small towns. Everyone else in the world does it.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Agreed.

And just because one lives in a rural, small town doesn't mean that you have to design the town where it takes miles to reach anything. It may not be economical to build a subway there but trolleys, bike lanes, etc are great for small towns. Everyone else in the world does it.
Yep.

Also, assuming that gas taxes would be used efficiently to actually repair the highways, why should our country want to allow drivers to socialize the cost of the roads they frequent to the general public who don't use the highways? I suppose folks believe the US highway and interstate system is just a free gift from the government?

A gas tax is an efficient tax because it embeds the cost of maintenance of the highways and concentrates it on the individuals who actually use them. Again, this assumes the trust fund isn't raided.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Agreed.

You have not spent much time in rural America, have you?

Not everyone lives in a town irwin.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
There was supposed to be a 50 cent gas tax increase, way back in the day, which I did support at the time. Perhaps Carter was not so crazy after all!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Yes I have. I live in New England where the towns are small, people walk, there are main streets, etc. I have a brother that lives in a small town in Washington state.

If you live outside of town...well, get a horse.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:

But GreatDay, we do not a good system even where they would work. Understanding that people choose to seperate themselves and live in the country then they have to pay for the high price of fuel to get around. People who live in high density areas should not have to drive all that much and we like it like that.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Yep.

Also, assuming that gas taxes would be used efficiently to actually repair the highways, why should our country want to allow drivers to socialize the cost of the roads they frequent to the general public who don't use the highways? I suppose folks believe the US highway and interstate system is just a free gift from the government?

A gas tax is an efficient tax because it embeds the cost of maintenance of the highways and concentrates it on the individuals who actually use them. Again, this assumes the trust fund isn't raided.
I actually have no problem that highways are subsidized by the gas tax. But I think we have plenty of highways! Given the price of oil and the consequences of our absolute reliance on the auto, we need to start investing in other forms of transport. Regional high speed rail transport, local commuter rail, street cars, light rail, subways, etc.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I actually have no problem that highways are subsidized by the gas tax. But I think we have plenty of highways! Given the price of oil and the consequences of our absolute reliance on the auto, we need to start investing in other forms of transport. Regional high speed rail transport, local commuter rail, street cars, light rail, subways, etc.
I live in the Tidewater of VA and we have a huge govt presence down here that is required to travel often to Washington DC. It is nearly impossible to get a train into Washington so we can use the Metro. It would be a great boon to us here to be able to hop on a train, use that 3-8 hours (depending on traffic) to relax, work or catch up on reading vs driving in stop and go traffic, to get the metro, which is great in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies