Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you have supported a significant increase in the gas tax a decade ago?
Absolutely! We could've built some great public transit by now. 11 57.89%
No way! I've enjoyed and benefited from cheaper gas over the past ten years. 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Of course I have, but I've spent considerable time in areas more rural than America.
Nothing could be more rural than the areas I have visited in Cambodia or Laos.

Yet, I have no desire to replicate their lifestytle in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You can pick up Amtrak just a few miles south of the Valley. In fact, you take an Amtrak Bus from downtown Phoenix to the train.

BTW, Phoenix has a rail station. The problem was, there was so little ridership of the trains, it was not economically viable to run it as such.
Had there been an energy policy in place to support mass transit and to penalize the single driver, there would have been ridership, but we supported DETROIT and OPEC as a matter of policy.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:10 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
You can pick up Amtrak just a few miles south of the Valley. In fact, you take an Amtrak Bus from downtown Phoenix to the train.

BTW, Phoenix has a rail station. The problem was, there was so little ridership of the trains, it was not economically viable to run it as such.
The fact that there is so little ridership is exactly what is shocking. If people out there had some sense, they would have planned ahead, built an urban areas of the city with walkable areas, and built a regional rail system into that. Tucson is what 90 miles away? With all the students rail would be great between those two cities. Rail to San Diego and LA would also be doable.

Poor planning and short sightedness but given the number of people who got their backsides handed to them in the recent real estate crash because of poor decisions, it is not surprising.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
The fact that there is so little ridership is exactly what is shocking. If people out there had some sense, they would have planned ahead, built an urban areas of the city with walkable areas, and built a regional rail system into that. Tucson is what 90 miles away? With all the students rail would be great between those two cities. Rail to San Diego and LA would also be doable.
Rail service between Phx and SD and LA were offered - for many years. I know - I took the train with my kids several times. But, it was not popular enough to make it economically viable.

In short - the public did not want to ride the train enough. That's the bottom line. Nothing to do with "planning" - people did not want to ride the train.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Nothing could be more rural than the areas I have visited in Cambodia or Laos.

Yet, I have no desire to replicate their lifestytle in the United States
Your OCD one-upsmanship personality is remarkable.

I was simply making a comparison between rural America and rural Hungary, Slovakia, and Poland as a basis and how mass transit in those countries is possible even when many people don't own cars, all the roads are dirt and gravel and 25km might as well be 200km. To compare your experience with mine is off-topic but does answer a lot of questions, especially on your previous theory of credit reports being reported internationally .

From your presumed wealth it seems like you won't have to change your lifestyle. But many in the sticks not as financially blessed as yourself will, and its not a choice they will be free to make should they continue their existence in rural America. Then again, you suggested that gas wasn't dirt cheap and even this mere peasant thinks it is dirt cheap, and I drive at least 200 miles a week, if not more. So, it's not as if I walk and bike everywhere.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Here is an article on point from a local newspaper:

Group seeks to get sales-tax hike for transportation on ballot

Supporters of a transportation-tax package filed language Tuesday for the November election, marking the kickoff of what is likely to be an intensive campaign to collect signatures needed to get the measure before voters.

The plan would be financed by a 1-cent increase in the state sales tax over 30 years. It would pay for a collection of freeways, trains, buses and local street upgrades

azcentral.com | Phoenix Arizona News - Arizona Local News

It will be interesting to see a) if they get enough signatures to get it on the ballot and b) see what the voters say

Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
To compare your experience with mine is off-topic but does answer a lot of questions, especially on your previous theory of credit reports being reported internationally .
I was right on regarding the credit reports. I went through it personally - hence my knowledge of the topic

Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Mass transit can be a great enhancement for a community. BUT, to make it work, you have to get the public to "buy into it" - with their tax dollars. And, up to now, most mass transit systems do not pay for themselves. There are exceptions of course. I'm talking in general.

Will the increase in the fuel prices result in an increase use of mass transit? Sure. Sufficently to make a system economically viable? Remains to be seen. Maybe.
Nowhere in the world is mass transit economically profitable. Nowhere. Asking for mass transit to be profitable is like asking for elementary schools to be profitable. We build (or should build) mass transit because its a public good, like schools and police. Mass transit takes commuters off the road resulting in lower highway congestion and lower highway maintenance costs. Thus, even those who drive and never take the subway benefit from mass transit. That's why it makes sense for everyone to pay for transit, not just the users.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
But many in the sticks not as financially blessed as yourself will, and its not a choice they will be free to make should they continue their existence in rural America.
You seem to forget who often lives in rural America: Farmers and Ranchers. They have no choice but to stay where they are - or shut down their farms and ranches.

The higher fuel costs go, the higher your food costs will be as well. The cost of farming is skyrocketing because of fuel - and it will end up in your local grocery store

Old 05-07-2008, 12:25 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
You seem to forget who often lives in rural America: Farmers and Ranchers. They have no choice but to stay where they are - or shut down their farms and ranches.

The higher fuel costs go, the higher your food costs will be as well. The cost of farming is skyrocketing because of fuel - and it will end up in your local grocery store
I grow much of my own food, thank you very much.

I'm sure these farmers and ranchers will find ways to increase productivity.

Besides, many living in very rural areas are retirees. They'll adjust their travel accordingly.

Most of my investments are in natural resources, commodities and precious metals. I may not be rich, but I am set up very well for the situation you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies