Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 10:53 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Whites will become the minority in about 30 years. So why not educate our kids and teach them different languages

Do you think only "whites" speak English?

I work with people from all over the world. They all speak English.

There's a lawn guy living down the street from me. He's lived there for more than 20 years. Doesn't speak any English. Why the hell should I learn to speak his language when he's made no effort to learn mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 10:57 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Do you think only "whites" speak English?
Not at all.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:59 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Whites will become the minority in about 30 years. So why not educate our kids and teach them different languages
Because "whites" only speak one language???

Old 01-30-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Because "whites" only speak one language???
I was addressing the poster who had a problem with pressing 1 for English.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:16 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
I was addressing the poster who had a problem with pressing 1 for English.
Whites will become the minority in about 30 years.

And? Does that make your statement less ignorant and racist?

Old 01-30-2021, 11:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Anytime a person buys full cloth into divisive party politics, or buy into an ideology they know nothing about, they probably have some sort of glitch going on.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Whites will become the minority in about 30 years.

And? Does that make your statement less ignorant and racist?
Not ignorant or racist at all. It’s just a fact. That’s what the census projects.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:50 AM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Well, when you have to "press one for English"....
Why isn't there a "press two for FRENCH?
We have a lot NATIVE speakers in Cajun land, and visitors from Canada.

Turns out, there is a TREATY.
Mexican–American War.

The 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo specified the major consequence of the war: the forced Mexican Cession of the territories of Alta California and Santa Fe de Nuevo México to the United States in exchange for $15 million. In addition, the United States assumed $3.25 million of debt owed by the Mexican government to U.S. citizens. Mexico recognized the loss of Texas and thereafter cited the Rio Grande as its national border with the United States.
One of the consequences of the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, was special treatment for Mexican citizens who were to be granted American citizenship, in ceded territory. They were not to be discriminated against, for only speaking Spanish, etc, etc.
: : : : : :

America IS bi-lingual, since 1848.

We did get California...should we give it back?

Old 01-31-2021, 07:13 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
I'm still here...sharing my opinions. I still think Liberalism is a mental disorder that eminates from a inert lack of self-reliance being stoked by the top 1% & the media.

I'm waiting for tax increases on middle class Dems & employers, $5/gal gas & higher home energy bills that poor Dems can least afford, higher unemployment due to $15 minimum wage, inflation when higher cor taxes are passed along tothe consumer, GDP to slow, & for the Libs to kill the economy, & pile on even more debt that the last group has.

It's all coming...oh, and a new war. Inner cities wil continue to crumble, Dem Mayors & City councils' cops will continue to kill blacks in the urban war zones. The exodus from Lib cities will escalate even more, & will get massive federal bailouts, which will crush the Dollar, & lead to rising interest rates.

By 2022, Dem voters will have had enough, and the Pubs will sweep back into control of the House, and Senate.

Liberal policies always fail, and harm those who voted them in, more than the rest. Shame, so many need to be reminded repeatedly.

Take closing down the Keystone XL pipeline...take a look at this diagram of America's existing piplelines in this link:

https://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-...-the-pipelines

So, 1 more pipeline will really matter? C'mon man. We all know its really about the kickbacks Keystone won't cough up.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:45 AM

23,589 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Why isn't there a "press two for FRENCH?
We have a lot NATIVE speakers in Cajun land, and visitors from Canada.

Turns out, there is a TREATY.
Mexican–American War.

The 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo specified the major consequence of the war: the forced Mexican Cession of the territories of Alta California and Santa Fe de Nuevo México to the United States in exchange for $15 million. In addition, the United States assumed $3.25 million of debt owed by the Mexican government to U.S. citizens. Mexico recognized the loss of Texas and thereafter cited the Rio Grande as its national border with the United States.
One of the consequences of the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, was special treatment for Mexican citizens who were to be granted American citizenship, in ceded territory. They were not to be discriminated against, for only speaking Spanish, etc, etc.
: : : : : :

America IS bi-lingual, since 1848.

We did get California...should we give it back?
"They were not to be discriminated against, for only speaking Spanish"
Please post the part of the treaty that says this^
And, where it says that the 'right to speak Spanish without discrimination' pertains to all who later come here.

Fwiw, the "press 1 for English" doesn't really bother me. What does is when someone, no matter where they come from, comes here and expects/demands that we learn their language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies