Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 05:09 PM

761 posts, read 316,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
We’re not the ones claiming massive fraud without one shred of evidence, nor the ones going to obscure web sites for “alternative facts” to reinforce our own fantasies.
Whataboutism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 05:11 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Whataboutism.
Reality is a b****

Old 01-29-2021, 05:11 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Republicans need to get more work done at the ground level like the DNC does. DNC literally will drive people to the voting booth just to get them to vote. I know this for a fact as my friend was called continuously by the Biden campaign letting her know that if she needed a ride to the voting booth they would take her.
Yeah, I can agree with that.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
This has been said online for 20 years. Yet democrats can’t even easily defeat “Hitler”.
Hitler was very popular among his supporters as well and most Germans at the time weren't aware of the concentration camps. His supporters believed they were preserving traditional German culture against the perceived threat of outsiders and other Germans who weren't the Aryan ideal. This isn't too different from Trumpism.

Right now, a large portion of this country is terrified of changing demographics and changing social structure in our society and will do anything to halt or roll back progress. 1-6-21 shows that anything means anything.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Hitler was very popular among his supporters as well and most Germans at the time weren't aware of the concentration camps. However, his supporters believed they were preserving traditional German culture against the perceived threat of outsiders and other Germans who weren't the Aryan ideal. This isn't too different from Trumpism.

Right now, a large portion of this country is terrified of changing demographics and changing social structure in our society and will do anything to halt or roll back progress. 1-6-21 shows that anything means anything.
The particulars of Hitler are irrelevant at this point. Democrats have spent that political capital. Identity politics was pushed to a point of peak saturation. No more votes to be had using that angle.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:29 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Dems have pinned their 2nd term on 83 yr old Biden or Kamala.

A Trump 2nd term seems very likely. Should be the betting favorite in Vegas.

For Trump supporters — who cares if his 2nd term happens now or 4 years from now?

Trump is still insanely popular and dems have plenty of rope to hang themselves over the next 4 years.

I agree that the Democrats can snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in 2024, but I doubt that it will be against Mr. Trump.

As for Mr. Trump being 'insanely popular': well, among his maniacal supporters, yes.

Of course, if you read the news, he has lost a lot of his supporters when he left office without pardoning any of those that invaded our Halls of Congress. These people literally believed that Mr. Trump would pardon them (which, being on Federal property, he could have). He didn't, but went home to play golf (I doubt they were pleased to read that Mr. Trump issued a Presidential Pardon to a man in prison for involvement in killing a policeman).

Meanwhile, the percentage of the voting population that identifies "Republican" has dropped markedly.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/p...filiation.aspx

Just before the election, 31 percent of the voting public identified themselves as Republican. Now, it is 24 percent. That is a significant drop.

Prior to the Georgia Senatorial elections, even the most diehard Democrat thought that, maybe, they would win one of the two seats. Instead, the Democrats picked up both seats.

Under Mr. Trump, the Republicans lost the Presidency as well as the Senate. They gained seats in the House, but still lack control by 10 seats.

The majority of Americans do not believe that the election was 'stolen', although I do wonder about Mr. Trump's margin of victory in Texas and Florida, two states that use ES&S ballot machines (look it up; interesting that some of the board members are Republicans). Deflection? Accuse Dominion of fixing their machines to switch votes, while the real steal was with ES&S machines. Florida is always close, but this time?

If Republicans were so sure of their future wins, why are they trying so hard to restrict voting? Look at Georgia and Arizona threads about this.

Finally, the impeachment trial will again broadcast, for several weeks, the fact that beginning in June 2020, Mr. Trump was already claiming that if he lost, it would be due to Democrats cheating (despite Republicans holding sway in a majority of states; again, look at Georgia). More evidence will be unveiled concerning the insurrection, people will be reminded of the death toll (another Capitol Hill police officer just committed suicide; possibly due to the stress of being attack by Trump supporters, although other reasons may be at play).

And, perhaps, people will be reminded that Mr. Trump issued a Presidential commutation for a cop killer. For a drug dealer that was involved, although not present at the scene, of the death of a cop.

Of course, that cop was black. So Mr. Trump didn't care.

https://www.police1.com/legal/articl...eOmmWXFzWu7xp/

Old 01-29-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree that the Democrats can snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in 2024, but I doubt that it will be against Mr. Trump.

As for Mr. Trump being 'insanely popular': well, among his maniacal supporters, yes.

Of course, if you read the news, he has lost a lot of his supporters when he left office without pardoning any of those that invaded our Halls of Congress. These people literally believed that Mr. Trump would pardon them (which, being on Federal property, he could have). He didn't, but went home to play golf (I doubt they were pleased to read that Mr. Trump issued a Presidential Pardon to a man in prison for involvement in killing a policeman).

Meanwhile, the percentage of the voting population that identifies "Republican" has dropped markedly.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/p...filiation.aspx

Just before the election, 31 percent of the voting public identified themselves as Republican. Now, it is 24 percent. That is a significant drop.

Prior to the Georgia Senatorial elections, even the most diehard Democrat thought that, maybe, they would win one of the two seats. Instead, the Democrats picked up both seats.

Under Mr. Trump, the Republicans lost the Presidency as well as the Senate. They gained seats in the House, but still lack control by 10 seats.

The majority of Americans do not believe that the election was 'stolen', although I do wonder about Mr. Trump's margin of victory in Texas and Florida, two states that use ES&S ballot machines (look it up; interesting that some of the board members are Republicans). Deflection? Accuse Dominion of fixing their machines to switch votes, while the real steal was with ES&S machines. Florida is always close, but this time?

If Republicans were so sure of their future wins, why are they trying so hard to restrict voting? Look at Georgia and Arizona threads about this.

Finally, the impeachment trial will again broadcast, for several weeks, the fact that beginning in June 2020, Mr. Trump was already claiming that if he lost, it would be due to Democrats cheating (despite Republicans holding sway in a majority of states; again, look at Georgia). More evidence will be unveiled concerning the insurrection, people will be reminded of the death toll (another Capitol Hill police officer just committed suicide; possibly due to the stress of being attack by Trump supporters, although other reasons may be at play).

And, perhaps, people will be reminded that Mr. Trump issued a Presidential commutation for a cop killer. For a drug dealer that was involved, although not present at the scene, of the death of a cop.

Of course, that cop was black. So Mr. Trump didn't care.

https://www.police1.com/legal/articl...eOmmWXFzWu7xp/
Roughly 47% of the electorate voted for Trump. People from all walks of life. Trump was popular FAR beyond the maniacal supporters.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:33 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Trump has pretty much locked up FL, IA and OH — something the GOP hasn’t been able to do previously.

This gives Trump 215 electoral votes.

The blue wall has also crumbled putting more EC votes on the table.

The real battlegrounds are now GA, NC, MI, NV, WI, AZ and PA.

Prior to 2016 the path seemed impossibly narrow for Republicans with the blue wall sealed up and IA, FL, OH seemingly leaning Democratic.
Dream on.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Dream on.
That’s reality.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:40 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Roughly 47% of the electorate voted for Trump. People from all walks of life. Trump was popular FAR beyond the maniacal supporters.

True, but I think my post pointed out that he lost many of the 'non maniacal' supporters, and even some the maniacal.

Indeed, as an anecdotal point, one of my sisters, a Trump voter, after the insurrection told my 93 year old Liberal mother "I'm sorry I voted for Trump". In our family, that was a huge admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies