Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 02:35 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Today’s republicans are truly a loathsome bunch of populists with no platform except to do whatever stupid thing Trump wants them to do. A totally failed party and danger to the free world.
An "ex-Republican" hating on a Republican President who is no longer in office?

Yeah, that is so believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 02:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Both parties are a big fail......that is why I am a Nothingpublicrat.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:54 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
You can leave a party for reasons like this and just not have a party. That's the better alternative to me. I think both current parties need to go.

I used to be Republican, but deciding to leave didn't mean I registered as a Democrat or anything. No analysis needed. It just meant I no longer supported what the current GOP had become.
From 1992-2016 I voted for third-party candidates for President (Perot, Buchanan, Nader) because there was no significant difference between the parties. With the advent of Trump, that all changed.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:56 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Trump and greene and the psycho wing of the republican party have taken over. The suburbs and any rational conservatives should be welcomed into the democratic coalition to move this country forward.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:25 PM

323 posts, read 508,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Who can tell me what is wrong with this analysis?

That's right. It's INCOMPLETE! None of those things matters unless there's an alternative that is BETTER.

Where's your analysis of the Democrats, who are worse in essentially every regard? You obviously have no idea what the Democrats are trying to accomplish. They have to be opposed, and the GOP is the only vehicle for doing so.
I'm not a democrat. I'm independent. And surprisingly enough, the Democrats have shown that they at least have the capacity to formulate their own policies and ideas that are not blatantly self-serving of the man in charge.

I'm not pro-BLM. I'm not for political correctness or cancel culture. But the democrats now are the party of democracy and TRUTH. I will always stand for truth and reality against conspiracy and lies, even if I don't agree with the ultimate conclusions and policy.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I can't imagine a republican ever writing a post / article titled "Why I’m an ex-Republican". It's pretty much text book propaganda.
The fact that your smooth brain can't contemplate that people wouldn't identify with a binary choice of ideologies says a lot about the state of our politics.

And yeah, there's a lot of ex-Republicans out there. See the Lincoln Project.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what is your opinion of Libertarians?
Like all ideologies, nuggets of truth obscured by a drive towards ideological purism. It's like what you understand about physics before you learn about friction. F=ma is a fact, but not really applicable to any real-world scenario.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
An "ex-Republican" hating on a Republican President who is no longer in office?

Yeah, that is so believable.
I believe in ideas and policy, not greedy political organizations that change their beliefs on a whim to appeal to the masses. A Trump Republican and a Reagan Republican have almost nothing in common.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 5,324 times
I am glad to not to be a Republican anymore. The progressives make a whole lot more sense now. My views have shifted left and I am sure other people will see it this way soon.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:07 PM

889 posts, read 272,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I used to believe in the Republican platform - smaller government, a free economy, and most importantly, moral leadership. The wheels started coming off the bus around the time of Sarah Palin, which is when the anti-intellectual side of the Republican Party started seizing control. It had always been there of course, but it was controlled. After 2008, the Republicans did a 180. They decided free trade was a bad thing and that the economy needed more regulation and government intervention. They decided litigation reform was a bad idea and we should embrace litigious society. Debt spending would have made any 80s Democrat blush. And most importantly, honesty, morals, and decency were no longer desired qualities in our leadership. Today’s republicans are truly a loathsome bunch of populists with no platform except to do whatever stupid thing Trump wants them to do. A totally failed party and danger to the free world.
oh brother. you sound ripe for the democratic party with your pearl clutching. go join the party of isms and thievery, enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies