Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 07:12 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Low balling again. Is there a reason republicans keep trying to downsize these aid bills? Country’s still closed down. Millions still out of work. Mostly low wage jobs hiring, Walmart, McDonald’s, etc. Can’t they provide more substantial help to small businesses and struggling Americans? I’m not sure how it all works. From my limited understanding of politics and economics. I don’t think an economic recovery is going to happen anytime soon. Or am I wrong?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2A00H8
How much help has already been given, who is going to pay and the current unemployment rate is not historically that high. Sure it is much higher than the booming economy under the previous president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 07:29 AM

15,816 posts, read 6,523,439 times
They like to pretend they are responsible budget managers. At least when there's a Democrat in the White House. Otherwise it's time to party like drunken sailors.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Maybe they're actually trying to be responsible with the spending of the taxpayers' money (I know...that sounds really comical ) ? The act of giving "relief money' to every breathing soul is disgraceful.

I know of no one personally (most friends and family are retired) that has lost their job to covid but yet everyone received a relief check. While some said, "Sure, I'll take it" most everyone else agreed with, "Why am I getting this. The Covid economy hasn't affected me one bit. Give it to somebody that truly needs it".
The problem is it’s not a “relief check”. It’s economic stimulus money.

The economy doesn’t need another caffeine-laden jolt right now. But perhaps we do need some help for those who actually need it.

That help doesn’t need to cost $1.9T though.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:34 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,128,782 times
Quote:
Low balling again. Is there a reason republicans keep trying to downsize these aid bills? Country’s still closed down. Millions still out of work. Mostly low wage jobs hiring, Walmart, McDonald’s, etc. Can’t they provide more substantial help to small businesses and struggling Americans? I’m not sure how it all works. From my limited understanding of politics and economics. I don’t think an economic recovery is going to happen anytime soon. Or am I wrong?

Low balling again? Come on now, both parties are as worthless as t-i-t-s on a bull. And have been for several years. Congress is just about worthless.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:34 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41;60303558

[an election occurs, and the GOP loses the purse strings

Then...

"OMG, spending! Now deficits are bad!"

And the idiocracy takes it's marching orders and begins regurgitating the new-and-improved propaganda.

It.
Happens.
Every.
Time.
Nailed it. Seriously.

I'd probably vote Republican if they were actually fiscally conservative when they control Congress and the White House. Well, then again, they've gone full-on crazy in the last decade, so maybe not. But, the last four years were just yet another example.

I see it this way - it is a small miracle we ever got out of the Great Recession. The Recovery Act of 2009 passed with just 3 Republican Senators voting for it (0 House members voted for it). Analysis of the Recovery Act performed in 2015 showed that this Act resulted in:

- Real GDP increasing by 1.1% to 9.2%
- was responsible for 1.1% to 4.8% of the unemployment drop
- was responsible for 2.1 to 11.6 million employment-years

Republicans wanted to take a Hoover-esque path and essentially do nothing. The problem with them is they don't want to see the country succeed if there is a guy with a (D) after his name running the show. That's what it boils down to. They are "patriots" only if a Republican is running the show. It is never about what is best for the country - it is about what will make them look best. They'd rather destroy the country than see a Democrat win.

And we saw that from November 4th through January 6th. Our democracy is that fragile.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:53 AM

494 posts, read 179,853 times
I find it amusing that all of the deficit hawks are coming out of the woodwork now when a mere $1,400 check is proposed to help out struggling people. Big banks crash the economy and hurt everyone..................here's billions for you. Oh airlines, I know you've been raking in billions in ridiculous fees for years, but 2 weeks into Covid you need a bail-out.....here you go. Billionaires you want a tax cut..................all yours. Oh, Joe Schmo, are you really asking for $1,400 after a full year of being affected by Covid? Gee I don't know, that is a lot and we did give you $1,200 a year ago and I know it's hard to believe, but also a whopping $600 in December. I mean that $1,800 should have lasted you easily several years. This is insane. No one bats an eye at helping out corporations but when it comes to people it's a different story.

The income thresholds are not too high. $150,000 for a family is very different for someone living in Iowa vs NYC. Even taking geography and COL out of the equation let's look at two simple scenarios in which the deficit hawks on this board wouldn't want that person/family to get a check. Scenario 1: Family of four, kids aged 7 and 10. Total income is $150,000. Both parents have to go into work and the public school is virtual. The parents didn't lose any money due to Covid, but now they are paying $1,200/month for daycare while they are at work. Why shouldn't they get help? Scenario 2: retiree on a fixed income living off of SS and a small 401K. Their utilities are more money because they are at home most of the time now, if they go out to eat the food prices are more, the groceries cost more and oh no they realized they have to go to the dentist now for something. The dentist is charging them a $30 Covid fee for ppe every visit. Let's make it even worse for the retiree. They loved playing tennis and volunteering at the local kids center. It gave them purpose in life. That's' gone now because of Covid so they are depressed and need to see a psychologist for depression. Now they're paying $100/week for therapy so they can get through this. Granted maybe it's a little extreme, but you get my point. You can't assume anything about a particular group and whether they need it or not. Realistically does a family making $250,000 need stimulus probably not, but you have no clue.

Let's not forget that this is also a STIMULUS bill. Even if someone doesn't necessarily need it the money will get recycled back through the economy helping out others.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:57 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
Quote:
I’m trying to fathom how things are improving job wise. Seems like offices and small businesses are closed down and struggling. People working from home. Haven’t a lot of Americans lost their jobs too? Restaurants and bars have no inside dining or etc. Are big companies and businesses hiring?
Seems a lot of people think folks are all living in paid for houses or their parent's basements and can therefore make it on a minimum wage salary - or worse - they know the reality of things, but don't care.

If we break down 'jobs' into jobs that actually pay a living wage, it would be mind numbingly low.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:59 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,111,637 times
Where is the other 2/3 of the $ going? Wheres it coming from. These little details never make the evening news.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:26 AM

589 posts, read 299,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Where is the other 2/3 of the $ going? Wheres it coming from. These little details never make the evening news.
You beat me to it. It seems like the talk is always about the PALTRY amount that Taxpayers receives as if it's some mega amount when in reality it's miniscule compared to the rest of the bill. What most don't ever talk about is that the the bill is huge NOT because of what the Taxpayers will be receiving but everything else that is in the bill that is NOT related to helping out Taxpayers. THAT is what they should be debating about, not the paltry amount that the Taxpayer would be receiving.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:34 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:

how much of the article did you read? That's the first question to determine your understanding, or whether you're wrong.

The next question is - are you personally unemployed now, laid off because of closures related to Covid?

*We "know" how many people are unemployed, and they continue to receive additional unemployment benefits.

*We don't really know how many are underemployed - that is, their normal hours/wages are down because of Covid. We certainly want to help these folks as well, when they need it, right? Does someone that was making $200K before butt only $150K now - do we want to help them or not? Or are we trying to stick to folks making less than $100K that lost income?

If you were making $60K, and your job hasn't changed (or is back to normal for several months now), then why would you need or get a check?

Are you aware how the first stimulus was spent? It wasn't on stimulating the economy. https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...imulus-cheques

See, that's the kind of discussion to have.

This is from your article:

Quote:
They said their bill included more targeted assistance for families in need and additional funds for small businesses, while echoing Biden’s $160 billion for more funding to boost vaccines and testing. They also pointed to unspent money from previous COVID-19 relief bills.Cassidy added that their plan included less school funding, saying many private schools had already reopened and that “the real problem is public schools” and “teachers’ unions telling their teachers not to go to work.”

Fellow Republican Rob Portman, who also signed the letter, told CNN’s “State of the Union” program that direct checks should be limited to individuals making $50,000 and less and families making $100,000 or less.
So, somewhat unfortunately, they choose politically to blame teachers' unions (or at least they're quoted doing so)....though that feels pretty accurate where I live and per the actions of teachers in places like Chicago.

The reality of Biden's schools figure is it provides $3,000 for every single PS student, or ~$1.7 million to every single school - depends on how you want to look at it.

Do you think we need to spend that kind of money? If you pay Federal income taxes, do you agree to have $3,000 tacked on for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies