Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 09:43 AM

4,662 posts, read 1,952,568 times

Advertisements

Black History Month, really who cares?I get a bit annoyed about all the commercials, both on t.v. and on Social Media Sites, especially after we keep seeing them day in and day out for a month. Kind of how i feel about election time. it gets a bit tiring after a while. i.e. it feels like too much spam of the same commercials over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 09:43 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The same reason some are against white history month. Or Asian history month. Or Inuit history month.
Their are 6+ separate white history months, and several Asian history months, and a Native American- which Inuit fall under, month as well.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:48 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What kind of resentment exactly, serious question, not being argumentative. I've never in my 51 yrs ever head of anyone in the circle I have traveled have express any kind of resentment as I understand the word to mean. I'm not saying that everyone is perfect and I've probably had some contact with people that weren't so favorable to black people, but to me resentment just didn't come across.
If anyone is against it, for whatever reason, it is automatic "resentment". If you question "why", it is automatic resentment. Even if one was to say "I am for it, but WHY do they get an entire month?", that is still a form of resentment.

If someone asks you your thoughts on Black History Month, and you say "I have no problem with it, it is to recognize the accomplishments and influence of AA to the history, culture, and achievements to the United States then you are FOR it. The same can be said for Hispanic American Month, LGBT Pride Month, etc. or any other day/month celebrating the same.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:48 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Their are 6+ separate white history months, and several Asian history months, and a Native American- which Inuit fall under, month as well.
Really.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:49 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Of course no-one hates on it in real life. It's just that as long as I've been on this forum every year a thread normally rolls around saying something ignorant like... "As a Italian/Jewish/Irish/German person, it's not fair African American's get their own month but we don't". Clearly not even educated about their own culture to realize they've had their own Heritage month in most cases for 3 decades now.

Edit: And like clockwork people asking what about White, Asian, Etcetera appear. As if google doesn't exist.
I can agree with you that there is always going to be some ignorant person that has to make a thread about it, in this case the OP wasn't ripping on it, but things always pretty much go downhill from there.

Public forums and message boards like twitter and social media in general tends to draw out the crazies and the fringe groups across the boards.

Jerks come in all flavors in my experience.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
we have, National Jewish American month, National Italian American month, National Irish American Month, National Greek American History Month, Scottish-American Month, French, German ...
They aren’t white history month.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:52 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Hey I just found out that next month is "Women's History Month"

Who knew?

What other groups are we going to pander to and treat like they are handicapped?

Old 02-01-2021, 09:56 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewship View Post
There are definitely people resentful about it. I don't think it's all that popular of an idea to oppose Black History Month (of the few white people I know personally none are mad about it). But there's definitely a vocal minority who loves to whine about it, typically to derail arguments about racial justice.
Like I said to that other poster, there will always be the fringe crazy types out there. Attacking black history month I suppose is a way for some of those types to lash out.

I think most people aren't losing sleep over this issue, that was my point. I asked another poster what resentment they feel as like I said, I've never ever came across anyone that said anything negative about it and the word resentment to me is pretty strong word. I think most people are probably indifferent.

I guess I'm splitting hairs here, I don't know.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:57 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Not sure I'm buying this, but thanks for the answer. No one I've ever encountered probably gave black history month much thought at all, to be honest, not in the the negative sense really, just, oh, it's February and now I'm seeing lots of ads on TV talking about black history month.

That seems to be about the gist of it, never heard of any white person I know, saying, "damn, it's that f ing time of year where the blacks get their own month" or any other type of negative talk like that.

I'm sure somewhere some non-blacks are probably unhappy about it, but does it really rise to the level that it's something that people really hate on? Most people I know have more issues going on that to rail about a month dedicated to one particular group of people.

We've got this month for that, this day for this, most of the time it flies right over people's heads in the macro view of things.
Exactly. And I live in the rural south. I dont know anyone who actually celebrates it other than the public school system, but I know no one against it definitely not resentful.

If Blacks want everyone to celebrate black history they need to throw in some ethnic food and alcohol. Like the Irish, Latinos and Germans.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:59 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
More unnecessary, blatant virtue signaling by White Progressives due to their White Guilt and self loathing. It's also very condescending to Black people just like Affirmative Action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies