Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 03:24 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes, you mean the love of killing?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-r...-in-four-years

But thank you for distracting me and other blacks from the real issues in our communities that have lasted a lot longer than one month.

Sadly, dedicating the shortest month of the year just doesn't seem to do anything for blacks aside from empty gestures and pandering.

Excerpt: But thank you for distracting me and other blacks from the real issues in our communities

Response: Opinion

Your Life. Your Choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 03:24 AM

2,070 posts, read 892,095 times
Quote:
As a black man, I support black history month.

Nothing better illustrates the empty gesture, window dressing, hypocrisy, and silly optics of giving an entire demographic the shortest month of the year in the name of equality and inclusiveness. Thank you white guilt liberals for this priceless gift.

"white guilt liberals"

I suggest a brief refresher:
https://www.thoughtco.com/black-history-month-45346

Old 02-09-2021, 08:13 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

Nothing better illustrates the empty gesture, window dressing, hypocrisy, and silly optics of giving an entire demographic the shortest month of the year in the name of equality and inclusiveness. Thank you white guilt liberals for this priceless gift.
Apparently you dont know your black history. It was a black man, Carter G. Woodson, an African-American historian who chose February as black history month.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:13 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Can you imagine if a group of people started promoting and celebrating "White history month"?

Many people would quickly call this out as a blatantly racist exercise - and they would be right.

What would be even more interesting is the huge number of "white" people who became offended by this because of how condescending it clearly is to "white" people. And they would be right, too.
If someone started a White History month and basically copied everything that happens in Black History month except make it white, people would soon realize that they have already been doing this stuff. Like forever.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:

black history month had a purpose when people were feeling disenfranchised and not part of the population recognized for good things. But now, its overblown. it is no big deal when any person based on identitiy politics accomplishes something.. in other words, is that all they are known for? "The first ____" .. like, we have progressed farther now. so now its common place.

People should be recognized as a human being and what that human being accomplished, not because of skin color which is nothing to be accomplished. It is what skin color you are. your skin color is not an accomplishment.

So i think people of all kinds have hit mainstream level and no need to remember them just for a skin color, as the first ___ whatever.

I want to be remembered for something more than a superficial skin color, i want to be remembered for accomplishments that i worked hard for.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPickel View Post
^ Testament to how very little the GP knows.

"of no importance to the human history" ......orly is that so.

How about for starters:

9 Things We Wouldn't Have Today Without These Black Inventors
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...rs/ar-BB1dvPSD

There are two kinds of fools: those who can't change their opinions and those who won't.

Are these affirmative action black people?

So we must lower the bars so that some black investors can be in the history! Great job!

Are any of these people comparable to Newton, Darwin, or Einstein?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-09-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 AM

6,666 posts, read 2,969,843 times
Sorry if posted already.

But Morgan Freeman isn't about it either. He's got a point. And he ain't no crab.

Morgan Freeman on Black History Month

God hath spoketh! ;p

Old 02-09-2021, 02:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
Firstly, I want to wish everyone a Happy Black History Month this year regardless of political beliefs. However, why is it even political in the first place? It is a month to celebrate important people and events in the African American community, who pioneered change and freedom for their community. Why are some people against honoring such a month to a group that has suffered so much oppression and violence in American history and nevertheless persevered.
While I do think that one month is not enough to celebration black peoples contributions, I fail to see why it pisses so many people off. I don't see the same problem with Hispanic Heritage Month, Caribbean-American History Month, or Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:52 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
While I do think that one month is not enough to celebration black peoples contributions, I fail to see why it pisses so many people off. I don't see the same problem with Hispanic Heritage Month, Caribbean-American History Month, or Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
Because the white people didn’t know about those months. Now you’ve done it. Cue more outrage.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Because the white people didn’t know about those months. Now you’ve done it. Cue more outrage.
But did they really not know? Or is it that they aren't looking? Even outside of these months. The AAPI community hosts huge film festivals in the state of California. Yet you don't hear a peep about "self-segregation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies