Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 09:08 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When is Americans aka U.S. citizens month that includes all of us? How about we celebrate that all year long instead and get rid of all the of race/ethnic months?
You got my vote. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy and favoritism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 12:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
This is not meant to seem insensitive towards any one people’s struggles or accomplishments. It does not take away from others but it does continue and almost modern day segregation to show us how different people really are. The country, the world is diverse and different societies have contributed to many innovations that have made the world better. Right, wrong or indifferent we all have things to be proud of from our race, nationality or even our gender. But again, with all the recent social agendas being funneled through social media, sports, entertainment and even schools, it tends to make individuals like myself feel like we are being guilted or indoctrinated into thinking that if you don’t think like the media or the so called “elite class”, we are bigots, racists or ignorant people; and I assure you, I am not.
You're way overthinking it. Black History Month is just a way to highlight the accomplishments and feats of people who are often overlooked in history. That's it. We're all better when we're better informed.

It doesn't take away from other people or communities. It's not segregation. Heck, some of these accomplishments were pretty darned amazing because they WERE done under very proscribed or limited resources due to exclusion.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
Firstly, I want to wish everyone a Happy Black History Month this year regardless of political beliefs. However, why is it even political in the first place? It is a month to celebrate important people and events in the African American community, who pioneered change and freedom for their community. Why are some people against honoring such a month to a group that has suffered so much oppression and violence in American history and nevertheless persevered.
I'm not against it, I just fail to see why it's necessary.

America is supposed to be the great melting pot. Let's celebrate the things we have in common instead.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're way overthinking it. Black History Month is just a way to highlight the accomplishments and feats of people who are often overlooked in history. That's it. We're all better when we're better informed.

It doesn't take away from other people or communities. It's not segregation. Heck, some of these accomplishments were pretty darned amazing because they WERE done under very proscribed or limited resources due to exclusion.
This is 2021. We've had a black president. We have a woman that calls herself black as the VP/Assistant President (although I believe she's actually Indian). At this point, is it really the case that black history gets so overlooked? If so, why not celebrate other minorities with their own month? How about Asian American history month? How about Irish Americans? They were not a popular people group at one point.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:31 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I learned all of that in my college classes but of course I was a history major. Did you learn what happened to other cultures or just black americans?

no they are not. Native Americans barely even exist because they were literally wiped out so which would you rather have? To be a slave for the rest of your life or to just be murdered because that's what happened to them they were killed for little to no reason same thing with Mexicans that were in the United States or what was Mexico at the time they also were killed and then they were used as slaves as well so no blacks are not the only ones that went through horrible travesties or are the most oppressed. Quit playing the victim
I made sure before i posted that to add in the part about "continuous". Meaning several centuries, because i knew someone would still try to pull the "well Native Americans" crap. And if you want me to show out how bad blacks had it here, NATIVE AMERICANS OWNED BLACK SLAVES TOO. So even they saw black people as "less than". So i repeat, BHM is highlighted because no other group in american went through this level of oppression on a continuous basis. Not even slave owning native americans.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:33 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
This is 2021. We've had a black president. We have a woman that calls herself black as the VP/Assistant President (although I believe she's actually Indian). At this point, is it really the case that black history gets so overlooked? If so, why not celebrate other minorities with their own month? How about Asian American history month? How about Irish Americans? They were not a popular people group at one point.
There is an Asian American History Month and I think one for Irish Americans.

Why be upset about it? It doesn't affect you.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:38 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Giving us black people the shortest month of the year is hardly something to celebrate.

But I suppose some blacks are easily entertained over perceived special treatment, no matter how empty the gesture truly is.

We’re literally in the middle of a pandemic, disproportionately affecting blacks both financially and medically, and folks are happy about a black history month.

By the way, Native Americans and first generational immigrants are the most oppressed people in this country, not Black Americans.
False. In one thread people like you are bragging about how successful immigrants are, then you also want to claim oppression. It can't be both.

2nd, immigrants always have to option to migrate back, can't be that bad.

3rd. And this is one i bet a fake-black account like yours didn't know, native americans owned black slaves too. That's the dirty little secret people don't talk about. Everybody had black slaves in America, even jews. Everybody. Not just the south, the north did too. Slavery even spawned other industries. Even Ivy League schools had slaves. Everybody, including even Native Americans.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:47 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
False. In one thread people like you are bragging about how successful immigrants are, then you also want to claim oppression. It can't be both.

3rd. And this is one i bet a fake-black account like yours didn't know, native americans owned black slaves too. That's the dirty little secret people don't talk about. Everybody had black slaves in America, even jews. Everybody. Not just the south, the north did too. Slavery even spawned other industries. Even Ivy League schools had slaves. Everybody, including even Native Americans.
A percentage of people in all groups had slaves. (It was the more’ of the times.) Still, the vast majority of people did not own slaves.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post

Right, any free person such as a free black person could be a slaveholder if they could afford to hold slaves, or could be an overseer or superintendent. Through much of the Colonial and early US, Indians could do just about whatever they wanted no matter how gruesome or what to others in their territory they controlled.

Despite a large white population very few were slaveholders.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:02 PM

2,923 posts, read 976,980 times
I think its patronizing as hell. And fake as hell. Its like treating black people like the last kid picked and then you celebrate like crazy when he banks one in from straight on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies