Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 03:45 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,885 times

Advertisements

I'll give the African American credit for one thing. They are the best athletes in the world. They are good at physical fitness. Good with sports. NBA. MLB. NFL. You name it. Professional sports are blacks. And they excel at it too. Now I am not saying they are not intellectual. But for the most part, I'd have to stick to that assessment of blacks everywhere. They're good at sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 03:53 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
I'll give the African American credit for one thing. They are the best athletes in the world. They are good at physical fitness. Good with sports. NBA. MLB. NFL. You name it. Professional sports are blacks. And they excel at it too. Now I am not saying they are not intellectual. But for the most part, I'd have to stick to that assessment of blacks everywhere. They're good at sports.
Many have been called Racist for admitting this fact. I will also submit that the dominance of the Black athlete especially in the NBA and NFL has hurt the sports, especially with today's racism against White fans.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:00 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
When is Asian history month?

When is indigenous people's month?

When is handicapped people's month?

When is blind month?

When is illegal immigrant month?

When is women in prison month?
Stop being lazy and google. There are a slew of history months.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
I’m Hispanic, where’s my month? Jewish people have been oppressed over history as well. It’s just a bit much IMO. Every culture has either a rich or infamous history at some point or a another and this appears to be an attempt to unofficially bring one culture or group of people to artificial greatness. I celebrate the individual, like MLK or Gandhi, but a month to shove in your face that “them too”’ have done great things, is almost an insult to the intended purpose.
Stop acting ignorant. You know there is a Hispanic Heritage Month.

There’s a Jewish Heritage Month too. Hell, the Holocaust didn’t even happen on American soil and there’s a great museum in Washington D.C.

There are tons of history/heritage months. If you have a problem with one, then you should have a problem with all. Don’t be hypocritical.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:11 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
^^^^ It gets tiring after a while, doesn't it? That's how I know it's disingenuous because that has been asked and answered multiple times. They even ask about some random ridiculous faux history month to try to come up with a point (women's prison month or something). Joke's on them for straying from the point.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:35 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
^^^^ It gets tiring after a while, doesn't it? That's how I know it's disingenuous because that has been asked and answered multiple times. They even ask about some random ridiculous faux history month to try to come up with a point (women's prison month or something). Joke's on them for straying from the point.
Yup. And it's just plain petty to get all upset about it.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:05 PM

62 posts, read 23,043 times
In the past year Americans have lost respect for black people. Rename it to Spoiled Crybaby Bratty Privileged Extortionists Month.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:49 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Anytime there is a race-specific element in any kind of public situation, there is potential for problems. For centuries that problem was slavery. Then it became racial discrimination, sometimes legally sanctioned. In the past 50 years there has been essentially zero legal racial discrimination. As a white guy, anti racism has been hammered into my head since childhood. Now I want there to be complete racial harmony. I have discovered that as long as there are race-based cultures, true racial harmony is impossible because with cultures comes differences, different priorities, wants and values. And by definition that means there can never be equality. So there can be a Black History Month but it should be understood that there would be a price to pay much like the price paid for specifically white-only country clubs.

For those of you unfamiliar with Affirmative Action, white males are legally discriminated against in hiring, promotion and education.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:48 PM

264 posts, read 100,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
The intent is to celebrate the achievements of black Americans. Carter Woodson was the man who established BHM. It was originally Negro History week. Woodson is from my state and has a very interesting background. He believed in "one" American history. Here are a few quotes from a Time article. He also did not want to see it become political or commercialized.

African Americans, many of whom had never been allowed to read and write during slavery, had not been known for maintaining family records, so many people couldn’t produce documents to prove that they had made important contributions to society. Woodson set about to direct them, then he encouraged newspapers to write about significant African Americans. He believed racial discrimination would be lessened when whites and other races realized that African Americans also made contributions to the world. He believed there was only one history, but he had to settle for promoting black history until he could get blacks included in the other books.

Woodson railed against people taking advantage of Negro History Week, who used it to sell items and make money. John Hope Franklin — probably the most respected African American historian since Woodson, who was mentored by Woodson — said he did not accept speaking engagements during Black History Month because it was overly commercialized.

https://time.com/5513378/black-histo...nder-inventor/
My point is that one cannot force Non-Blacks to recognize and respect African American's accomplishments.

For many non Blacks, the accomplishments of past African civilizations are marginalized and ignored.

In fact, many Euro-centric scientists and anthropologists have published numerous papers and authored books stating that there were never African civilizations based on falsehoods related to written languages.

Yes, it is imperative that Black people know their history just as it is important for every person to know their family's history.

Black people are the original people and their ancestral land has been invaded and exploited like no other country in the entire world. Yet, we persist! Yet, we endure!

Mineral resources from Africa is the basis for all of the technological innovations throughout the world and the labor of the former African citizens was used to build great wealth for others throughout the entire world.

Most critical is for Black parents to teach their children about Black History throughout the year and not rely on the acceptance of Non-Blacks for validation of their rich history.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:42 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
My point is that one cannot force Non-Blacks to recognize and respect African American's accomplishments.

For many non Blacks, the accomplishments of past African civilizations are marginalized and ignored.

In fact, many Euro-centric scientists and anthropologists have published numerous papers and authored books stating that there were never African civilizations based on falsehoods related to written languages.

Yes, it is imperative that Black people know their history just as it is important for every person to know their family's history.

Black people are the original people and their ancestral land has been invaded and exploited like no other country in the entire world. Yet, we persist! Yet, we endure!

Mineral resources from Africa is the basis for all of the technological innovations throughout the world and the labor of the former African citizens was used to build great wealth for others throughout the entire world.

Most critical is for Black parents to teach their children about Black History throughout the year and not rely on the acceptance of Non-Blacks for validation of their rich history.
Why is it important to acknowledge accomplishments based on race? Why is it important to acknowledge history based on race? I just don't get it. It's just divisive, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies