Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 03:04 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Seems VERY non-inclusive to just have a black history month.

What about Hispanic History Month? What about Pacific Islander History Month?

Who picked these "months?" Seems very random!

I think we need some Affirmative Action for these other "minority" groups to get some lovin' on their history months too.

I did a little research and May is Pacific Islander History Month. September 15th to October 15th is National Hispanic Heritage History Month. I am sure every single ethnic group has a history month. But they are not as well known as Black History Month.

I am a white guy. I don't need a white peoples history month. Perhaps white trailer trash history month? Pick a group that needs a boost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 03:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
So what would "European History Month" look like?
How about we make it about all the grievances and blame for what everyone did against whites lol?

Old 02-01-2021, 03:08 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How about we make it about all the grievances and blame for what everyone did against whites lol?
Is that something to celebrate?

Blacks have come a long way in their role in our country since their ancestors arrived as slaves. Some see that as a bad thing... some see that is a good thing. I'd say most if not all Blacks see it as a good thing and thus something to celebrate. They then divide into their own individual ancestral heritage and also celebrate their heritage as even among blacks in our community they come from a diverse set of cultures...

So what would "White History Month" or if people prefer "European History Month" be celebrating?

Old 02-01-2021, 03:14 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
LOL, there is so much "white" history you would need "white history" Year. Which would end right in time for the next "white history year" to get in the parts you missed from the previous year which of course would end just in time to repeat the process.

Meanwhile black history went unrecorded and black people were ignored to the point where there is barely a month's worth of stories to cover. And just about all of them are anathema to white people except for maybe GW Carver inventing peanut butter.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's about history, though. That's the whole point. We weren't taught this history in school, so BHM is a chance for people who didn't get the proper education to catch up.

Yeah, I'm sure we can find people who fit the description you say in the bolded, but they were not people who specifically and deliberately were denied their rightful place in history because of their race.

As a historical sidebar, both Peary and Henson left offspring with the Inuit with whom they wintered. In an interview with some people descended from Peary, one of the men says, "And if you go to the next village, you will see people descended from that man who was the other kind of white person, the black kind."
I suppose it depends on when you were in school, and what schools you went to. I remember studying specifically California History in 4th grade (in the 1960s) and after that US history in 5th, North and South American in 6th. The U.S. history class covered slavery. In College I took 2 classes of U.S. History as electives and again, there was discussion (and emphasis on) slavery and Black history including various Black leaders and scientists (1971-72).

Old 02-01-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose it depends on when you were in school, and what schools you went to. I remember studying specifically California History in 4th grade (in the 1960s) and after that US history in 5th, North and South American in 6th. The U.S. history class covered slavery. In College I took 2 classes of U.S. History as electives and again, there was discussion (and emphasis on) slavery and Black history including various Black leaders and scientists (1971-72).
High school for me was in Texas.

Slavery was covered in US History classes.

It was absent in Texas History classes.

1/2 of my childhood was in a poor black neighborhood. The latter half was in an affluent white school. My friends that remained in the poor black neighborhood schools had a far different experience covering slavery in their classes in school.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Is that something to celebrate?

Blacks have come a long way in their role in our country since their ancestors arrived as slaves. Some see that as a bad thing... some see that is a good thing. I'd say most if not all Blacks see it as a good thing and thus something to celebrate. They then divide into their own individual ancestral heritage and also celebrate their heritage as even among blacks in our community they come from a diverse set of cultures...

So what would "White History Month" or if people prefer "European History Month" be celebrating?
They can "celebrate" anything and everything they want. You want to focus on slavery. Well whites could celebrate being instrumental in ending it if they want.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They can "celebrate" anything and everything they want. You want to focus on slavery. Well whites could celebrate being instrumental in ending it if they want.
So what is "everything they want"? If people want a history month or even a day, it really should have a central theme of sorts....

Please imagine a "White History Month" with a central theme that they freed the slaves... and ask that question again... I think even most whites in this country would find that distasteful.

Believe it or not, there are many white people that participate in Black History Month. LBJ and Lincoln is often recognized during Black History Month.. Both are White Presidents. Just like I participate in various Heritage holidays even if they are not part of my heritage... mostly with friends. Enjoy each and every one.... especially food.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
So what is "everything they want"? If people want a history month or even a day, it really should have a central theme of sorts....

Please imagine a "White History Month" with a central theme that they freed the slaves... and ask that question again... I think even most whites in this country would find that distasteful.

Believe it or not, there are many white people that participate in Black History Month. Just like I participate in various Heritage holidays even if they are not part of my heritage... mostly with friends. Enjoy each and every one.... especially food.
So what I'm hearing is white people are just awful and have nothing to celebrate. And if they even dare attempted to do so, even the brainwashed white left would find it objectionable. That sounds about right.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:35 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think every elementary and/or high school history course probably covered slavery. I can't imagine that any school system didn't. For reference, I graduated from high school in 1976. No college. I did most of my reading on my own, but then again, I was simply always interested in history (right now I'm reading The Great Influenza about the 1918 pandemic). Some people simply are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies