Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 06:02 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
But how many would have caught it if they didn't have the vaccine? 545? There is no comparison, so it's meaningless.
It might not have been mentioned in the link I posted but other sources report Maccabi ran a random test among its non-vaccinated clients at the same time and found that of 628,000 members of diverse profiles, 18,425 or 2.9% contracted coronavirus during the same period. So 2.9% vs 0.1% and maybe 15,000 vs 500.

Pfizer supplied Israel with vaccine earlier and in higher numbers in return for their health system (Maccabi) gathering data such as this. Nearly 80% of the people over 60 in Israel have now been vaccinated so much of the data is coming from an older cohort making it all the more encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 06:08 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,413,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Just the thought of being a part of that term, that I bolded, scares the bejeezus out of me. Would you volunteer to be a part of that group?

Although, I must commend those people who do it. They're braver than I am.
Well yeah, there won't be control groups anymore. The vaccines were declared effective based on a tiny sample, and now it would be "unethical" to deprive anyone. So there won't be any more comparisons, and we won't know if they are safe and effective.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:57 PM

25 posts, read 7,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
We can't. This applies to news in general. There
Yes its best to use our own minds FOR ANYTHING... Dont blindly listen to someone else because they are most likely wanting to steer you in a certain direction and you guys are too smart for that right?

Dont trust anyone!!! --- DTA -- Its the best way to be.....

Old 02-14-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excerst View Post
Yes its best to use our own minds FOR ANYTHING... Dont blindly listen to someone else because they are most likely wanting to steer you in a certain direction and you guys are too smart for that right?

Dont trust anyone!!! --- DTA -- Its the best way to be.....
Obviously, we have to trust other people or we can't function in society. We trust that other drivers will stop at a red light. But at the same time, we can be careful and skeptical. We can gather information from diverse sources, not just one source that is predictably biased. If a medical doctor recommends dangerous expensive surgery, we get at least a second opinion. When someone tries to sell us something, we realize they might be exaggerating the benefits of whatever they are selling.

By the time we are adults, we have learned not to automatically believe whatever we are told. We don't believe all advertisements, all medical doctors, all financial advisors, etc.

BUT, AMAZINGLY, we now see most Americans having a childlike trust in the drug industry.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:58 PM

37,088 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Well yeah, there won't be control groups anymore. The vaccines were declared effective based on a tiny sample, and now it would be "unethical" to deprive anyone. So there won't be any more comparisons, and we won't know if they are safe and effective.
Apparently you missed this post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/60396821-post221.html

"It might not have been mentioned in the link I posted but other sources report Maccabi ran a random test among its non-vaccinated clients at the same time and found that of 628,000 members of diverse profiles, 18,425 or 2.9% contracted coronavirus during the same period. So 2.9% vs 0.1% and maybe 15,000 vs 500.

Pfizer supplied Israel with vaccine earlier and in higher numbers in return for their health system (Maccabi) gathering data such as this. Nearly 80% of the people over 60 in Israel have now been vaccinated so much of the data is coming from an older cohort making it all the more encouraging."

Old 02-15-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Apparently you missed this post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/60396821-post221.html

"It might not have been mentioned in the link I posted but other sources report Maccabi ran a random test among its non-vaccinated clients at the same time and found that of 628,000 members of diverse profiles, 18,425 or 2.9% contracted coronavirus during the same period. So 2.9% vs 0.1% and maybe 15,000 vs 500.

Pfizer supplied Israel with vaccine earlier and in higher numbers in return for their health system (Maccabi) gathering data such as this. Nearly 80% of the people over 60 in Israel have now been vaccinated so much of the data is coming from an older cohort making it all the more encouraging."
And they didn't say if those cases had symptoms or not? Or if they were serious or not?

Old 02-15-2021, 03:17 PM

19,193 posts, read 16,672,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Can't speak for G4N but I read it. I also read the following post and that's what concerns me.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/60366400-post175.html

Old 02-15-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Can't speak for G4N but I read it. I also read the following post and that's what concerns me.

And any medical researcher who is skeptical about vaccines is dismissed as an anti-vaxxer. But it's still scientific research.

https://scivisionpub.com/pdfs/covid1...sease-1503.pdf

Old 02-15-2021, 03:32 PM

19,193 posts, read 16,672,733 times
Quote:
And any medical researcher who is skeptical about vaccines is dismissed as an anti-vaxxer. But it's still scientific research.

https://scivisionpub.com/pdfs/covid1...sease-1503.pdf
You must be very careful about what you read online, though. Not all reports are coming from a reputable source. There's so much misinformation online, it's a wonder any of us can hold an intelligent thought in our head these days.

I understand the feeling of those who believe everyone should be vaccinated but it doesn't diminish the fact that we're all different and maybe just as frightened of experiencing a negative reaction because we often experience a negative reaction to even the most mundane drug. The thing is, you won't really know unless you receive the injection but, by then, it's too late.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:34 PM

37,088 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
And they didn't say if those cases had symptoms or not? Or if they were serious or not?
The point of the post is that the Israelis are able to compare vaccinated and unvaccinated groups. You said that is not possible.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-se...ated-israelis/

"She stressed that among those who have vaccinated and become infected, the vast majority have experienced the coronavirus lightly. Out of the 523,000 fully vaccinated people, 544 were infected with COVID-19, of whom 15 needed hospitalization: Eight are in mild condition, three in moderate condition, and four in severe condition.'"

From a different HMO:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...erurce=twitter

"Israel’s largest healthcare provider on Sunday reported a 94% drop in symptomatic COVID-19 infections among 600,000 people who received two doses of the Pfizer’s vaccine in the country’s biggest study to date.

Health maintenance organization (HMO) Clalit, which covers more than half of all Israelis, said the same group was also 92% less likely to develop severe illness from the virus.

The comparison was against a group of the same size, with matching medical histories, who had not received the vaccine.

Quote:

That is one anecdotal case. Why does that concern you more than almost 500,000 deaths from COVID-19?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies