Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 02:21 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think from this point further, we shouldn’t name anything after another person ever again. We should rename everything so that it isn’t associated with any person.

We can’t possibly know what people might think in 100 years. I can already see it.
That's one idea. Or we could stop being so pompous and arrogant, presuming that we are so much better and more enlightened than those who came before us.

I have a feeling that if our 'racist' forebears could look ahead and see where we're at in 2021, they'd call us a bunch of moral degenerates - and they'd be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 04:03 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think renaming the ship will go along way toward solving all our problems.

Yep, if we can just get all of the Confederate names off of every thing, then there won’t be any more problems and everybody will be happy as pigs in mud.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:52 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I think from this point further, we shouldn’t name anything after another person ever again. We should rename everything so that it isn’t associated with any person.

We can’t possibly know what people might think in 100 years. I can already see it. I can’t believe they named this street after Martin Luther King. He actually ate meat from animals. What a bunch of cruel, sadistic barbarians who killed animals and caused all that pain and suffering in order eat them.

We don’t do that in the year 2121, we eat food made by bacteria, electricity, and water. I am so offended by what they did 100 years ago. I hate them so much, and if I could back in time, I’d kill them before they even dared to try and kill an animal and then eat it.
I don’t agree with the snark but I do think we should avoid naming things after a person. As someone else said, in U.K. they use names like Perseverance, I think those kind of names are cool. There’s no good reason to use names.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:54 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Yep, if we can just get all of the Confederate names off of every thing, then there won’t be any more problems and everybody will be happy as pigs in mud.
No one has yet given any good explanation for naming U.S. military bases after people who were enemies of the United States. It doesn’t make any more sense than naming bases after WWII Japanese generals, or whatever their equivalent is.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:07 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
An incident that most people here seem to have either forgotten, or deliberately overlooked:

https://ghostsofdc.org/2012/05/08/se...nis-shot-1973/

They breed some real upstanding citizens in the District of Columbia.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:10 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t agree with the snark but I do think we should avoid naming things after a person. As someone else said, in U.K. they use names like Perseverance, I think those kind of names are cool. There’s no good reason to use names.
Today’s snark is tomorrow’s policy. That’s an absolute fact.

I’ve actually read a few articles that try to predict what future Americans in the next century will be offended by what we do today. Every single one of them mentioned eating animal flesh.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:25 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:

We can’t possibly know what people might think in 100 years. I can already see it. I can’t believe they named this street after Martin Luther King. He actually ate meat from animals. What a bunch of cruel, sadistic barbarians who killed animals and caused all that pain and suffering in order eat them.

And what, actually, would be wrong with that?

Frankly, all the horse manure about "erasing history" is just horse manure. History is not contained by statues and monuments. We see that proven by the statues and monuments of ancient Egyptians, which was incomprehensible until the Rosetta Stone enabled historians to interpret the hieroglyphics.

History is in the writing.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:29 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
History is in the writing.
Not really. One has to get people interested in the "writing" first.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
An incident that most people here seem to have either forgotten, or deliberately overlooked:

https://ghostsofdc.org/2012/05/08/se...nis-shot-1973/

They breed some real upstanding citizens in the District of Columbia.

Doesn't have anything to do with the discussion.

Hell, I was mugged and nearly shot in DC. Fortunately, the mugger pushed the gun so hard into my right kidney that it pushed the slide out of register and the gun jammed.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Today’s snark is tomorrow’s policy. That’s an absolute fact.

I’ve actually read a few articles that try to predict what future Americans in the next century will be offended by what we do today. Every single one of them mentioned eating animal flesh.

It's not a fact unless it's happened.

Try another example...one that has actually happened instead "predictions of the future."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies